PDA

View Full Version : Quilt types in a shelter

Riddick
07-14-2006, 15:36
Hey all, heads up on the straight-forward forum...
I'm a hammock guy that still stays in shelters or tents once in a while. I don't like tight fitting mummy styles, I like to sprawl out all over the place in hammock or tent.

For background here's my situation: I'm wanting to get a warm 3-season down bag or quilt that will be functional and warm in either hammock or shelter/tent. I've heard great reviews about Jack'r'better quilts, WM bags, and Nunatak hybrids and all three seem feasible for my needs. I've also looked at a Big Agnes Mystic because it's so spacious I think I'd like that room but not too sure about the pad fixed underneath for flexibility of use.

Question(s): How well do the quilt/hybrid types do on a flat surface with a pad under you? Are they large enough that drafts aren't too much of an issue on cold nights when you're turning over?

I know of many many on here that use WM but to stay on topic I'd like to hear about quilts/hybrids specifically being used in shelters or tents. I've done some searching but want a bit more input if available.

Thanks.

hopefulhiker
07-14-2006, 17:05
I hiked most of the trail with a Big Agnes insulated air mattress and the Nunatak Back Country Blanket. I did not use a hammock. It worked very well.

Just Jeff
07-14-2006, 20:22
JRBs are great in a hammock and pretty good on the ground. 48" wide is sufficient for ground sleeping but I wouldn't want to go much narrower than that. If drafts are an issue, just get a very light DWR bivy.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-14-2006, 20:39
As a couple, we use a homemade 72" x 72" quilt with draft curtains on the bottom and sides. The draft curtains are 8" wide strips of tightly woven polyester material that stops wind from getting in and heat from getting out quickly. Drafts were a problem before I added the extra fabric.