PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin, Monson, Gulf Hagas, Chairback mid-July

TJ aka Teej
07-14-2006, 18:32
Recent hikers at the Birches:
Doom Fly, Hanta, Guns and Jesus, Floyd (?), Dingleberry, Flapper, Bogie and Bacall, Coconut Monkey, Robin (?), Running Bear, Bandaloop, Recon and Cher. Pooh Bear, Grizzly Dave, Goatmilk, Cava and others had summited recently.
Missed seeing Stumpknocker by a few hours at Abol Bridge.
Southbounding Mom and daughter should be right behind a fellow with a trailname that had something to do with the Budwieser brewery's mascot during prohibition. (Note to thrus - don't have a trailname that needs a novel to explain it...)
Poptart AT'02 will be the Ridgerunner at Baxter again this year, starting in a few weeks. Hope Linda has plenty of Moxie in stock!
State O' Maine is making improvements at Abol Pines, met the Ranger and a volunteer working hard cleaning the area. Good folks.
Ah, Monson... The new owners of Shaws are wicked nice people, and have repaired, cleaned, replaced, torn out, painted and polished up the old joint so it is better than ever. Yes, I said better than ever. Buddy's back doing shuttles, slack packing, and cooking four bys for breakfast - I just had a 2X, but a successful 8X was reported. There were 8-9 sobos in town, including a really nice young man heading from Gaspe to Key West and Allison who is recovering from cracking her chin open. I've never met a more beat up hiker with a better attitude - she'll do fine, I think. Tim at the General Store was his usual friendly self, and a new person has taken over the take-out food there, to rave reviews. New owners of Lake Shore House have converted a stuffy B&B into a welcoming Pub and Eatery. The Pub overlooks the back yard and the lake, with a deck and chairs out by the shore, and Rebekah was *busy* serving a bunch of folks and holding 4-5 conversations at once. It's a talent, I tell ya, talent. Monson sights to remember: A GAMEr wi****lly peeking through the window of the closed BBQ. A southbounder taking the time to say grace before wolfing down an entire loaded pizza. The hiker box at Shaws which covered a whole table, piled high with sobo discards like books, gallon baggies of gorp, most of a PUR filter, spices, oatmeal, teabags, a bottle of olive oil, the legs from a zipoff pair of pants, and a glass quart jar of spaghetti sauce.
Gulf Hagas and Chairback made for a long day, only saw one thru, a fellow named Squeaky Clean who was concerned about a quad injury, who hiked ahead so quickly I never caught up to him. Guess that quad is OK :O) At dusk watched a big National Guard helicopter below slowly wind through the valley between Chairback and White Cap. I know it was a huge aircraft, but it looked so small... And then it rained and rained and rained and rained.
Going back up in a few weeks with Teatree and Chance - can't wait!

Shutterbug
07-15-2006, 12:37
[quote=TJ aka TeejGoing back up in a few weeks with Teatree and Chance - can't wait![/quote]

Perhaps I will see you in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I am planning to start at Gulf Hagas on August 21 hiking south to Monson. At Monson, I will do a flip flop and hike back to Mt. Katahdin. I plan to take my time and take a lot of pictures.

This will be the third year in a row that I have spent time in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I am making it a "tradition."

I will watch for you.

emerald
07-15-2006, 19:17
Rebekah was *busy* serving a bunch of folks and holding 4-5 conversations at once. It's a talent, I tell ya, talent.
Ya godda love't. Schuah do miss the way they have with wurds in those paarts. Been intyalee too long since I've been up theyah!

This will be the third year in a row that I have spent time in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I am making it a "tradition."
What a fine tradition that shall be!

WalkinHome
07-15-2006, 20:47
Hi TJ,

Janice and I were right behind you in Monson this weekend. We went up for my "day from hell", weedwacking the AT from the highway SOBO to the Doughty Pond side trail. Met Rebecka and Jeff at the pub-great folks, great food, great venue. I second your report about Shaw's, we stayed there and ran into Marta that is also on WB - she has it together. There was a section hiker from Maine there to do Jo-Mary back to Shaw's and while we were all talking AT and of course, pack weight, we told her to bring the thing in and we would tear it apart...and she did!! We had a great time and probably dumped 5 pounds from her kit. Ran into Joan at the AT Lodge recently and she asked me to pass along their rates as they hadn't heard from you in a bit but I don't know where they are right now so if your deadline is close (will PM you when I find them) you might want to give her a shout. I think they are going up a bit. My section is wet, wet, wet. Enjoyed reading your trip report. Later

StarLyte
07-15-2006, 20:55
Teej-
You get around. Great trip report. You missed Stumpy eh---I know he, MrsGorp, Frogcaller & Lew were all together-looking forward to their summit pics. I got to meet Frogcaller & Lew at the PA Ruck this year-they are real nice people.
Thanks-
Marsha

MedicineMan
07-15-2006, 21:37
several years ago (maybe 3) at a shelter 20 miles south of Docs Knob, very nice woman, glad to hear (well read in a trail journal last week near Boiling Springs) she is so very close to finishing the AT......also at the shelter where I met her was Recycle and i tried to hike with him the next day...he smoked me.

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2006, 22:32
I plan to take my time and take a lot of pictures.

That's the best plan, Shutterbug! I wish you good light and interesting subjects :D

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2006, 22:43
Ran into Joan at the AT Lodge recently and she asked me to pass along their rates That was some pile on the hiker box table, wasn't it!! I passed the Companion duties for Millinocket on to a local hiker last year. I still have Baxter State Park, Monson, Greenville, and the AT from Baxter Peak south to the Kennebec. I'll pass along the info Joan gave you to the right person.

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2006, 22:45
StarLyte & Medicine Man - I heard that Frogcaller made it to Baxter Peak the end of last week. Always great to hear a success from a sectioneer!