PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil OK for thru-hike?

MrHappy
07-15-2006, 20:21
So I have a jet-boil and I love the thing, because I do a lot of weekend-winter-camping in very cold temperatures, and the jet boil melts snow better than any MSR stoves i've tried (quite a few). Anyways, It is rather bulky, as are the fuel canisters, though not terribly heavy. Do you guys think it's suitable for a thru-hike? I'm planning on starting in January, and only cooking for the first few months when the warm food will be good for me, and then switching to all cold foods for the final months.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2006, 20:24
If you decide to use the Jet-Boil, you might want to take a look at Sarbar's freezer bag cooking site. (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/)

Wonder
07-16-2006, 08:27
I started with a Jet-Boil this year, and I love the way it works...........but it was way too hevey for me. Switched to a basic alachol stove and I love it! Light weight, and easy to use....but pratice with it first, or you'll blow through your fuel in 2 days(Opps)
Oh, and as a side note........I love the freezer bag cooking. My mom sent me recipes from there and they were way tasty! Only draw back.......people staring you down as they eat their thousandth ramen or lipton!

the_iceman
07-16-2006, 12:28
If you are starting early you probably want to stick with the Jetboil over the alcohol stoves. Alcohol stoves do not do so well in the cold. I am planning a Feb. 07 start and I am taking my Jetboil over alcohol or my MSR Whiper-lite for weight, convenience, and the clean burn.

Considering the Jetboil is a cup, pot, dish, and is all self contained it in not very bulky. It is not as light as an alcohol stove that is for sure but to me well worth the few extra ounces. Sometimes you have to consider “quality-of-life” on the trail when you look at options.

RITBlake
07-16-2006, 13:57
Carried a jetboil the entire time during my sobo thru hike. This thing was a workhorse that never misfired once. The jetboil can take a beating. Plus it was nice to have dinner ready in a matter of minutes.

WhoAh
07-16-2006, 14:15
I looked at the jetboil but am also considering the Wind Pro for the first part of my hike and switching to my Tin Man stove after the Smokies. Anyone else contemplating the Wind Pro? Don't hear too much about it on these forums.....

SGT Rock
07-16-2006, 14:16
Never heard of it. Got a link?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-16-2006, 14:32
http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/windpro.asp

SGT Rock
07-16-2006, 14:39
Ohhh, remote canister.

I have never used a remote canister gas stove like that.

One stove I have looked at is the Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight. Without all that fancy extra stuff of the JetBoil they came in close to the JetBoil performance over on BPL tests. I figure if you can get similar performance with a more "normal" pot it would be worth looking into.

WhoAh
07-16-2006, 20:13
Just did some weighing of my "kitchen" including the WindPro stove, gas canister, wind screen, Ti spork, Ti Pot, cozy, lighter, Ti mug, carrying bag - and the total came to just shy of 26 oz. Gotta figure out where to shave a couple of oz off of this - might just need to re-look at my TinMan stove....

The canister is a 4 oz one, and I am not sure yet just how many meals this will actually make - need to do a little more testing to figure that out. So far I like this stove, especially the remote canister bit as it makes the stove a whole lot stabler.

bigcranky
07-16-2006, 20:21
The remote canister style has one potential advantage -- in very cold weather, the canister can be turned upside down to feed liquid fuel to the stove. This eliminates the major problem with canister stoves not performing well in cold weather as the fuel stops evaporating.

There is an article on Backpackinglight about this topic. Interesting read (members only, sorry).

http://tinyurl.com/ebpkv

Stonewall
07-16-2006, 22:29
There is an article on Backpackinglight about this topic. Interesting read (members only, sorry).

Copy and paste my friend, copy and paste;)

neo
07-16-2006, 22:45
So I have a jet-boil and I love the thing, because I do a lot of weekend-winter-camping in very cold temperatures, and the jet boil melts snow better than any MSR stoves i've tried (quite a few). Anyways, It is rather bulky, as are the fuel canisters, though not terribly heavy. Do you guys think it's suitable for a thru-hike? I'm planning on starting in January, and only cooking for the first few months when the warm food will be good for me, and then switching to all cold foods for the final months.
:) i use mine every were i go,i even stayed at the president of jet boils house last year on my section hike:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7104&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9043&catid=member&imageuser=3462

WhoAh
07-16-2006, 23:11
Copy and paste my friend, copy and paste;)

Yes, please.....

Ridge
07-17-2006, 02:38
As long as you don't have to depend on finding cannisters at the trailheads, OK. The negatives I've heard about most of these type stoves are their performance in cold weather, heavy, and expensive fuel. Positives, cooks fast, low maintenance. I eliminated my stove worry on the trail, and thats fuel and clogging, cold weather, and elevation. I use a Sierra Zip woodburner. Had an alcohol and multifuel stove, haven't used either in years.

QHShowoman
07-17-2006, 10:12
Although I don't own one (I prefer the tinman alcohol stove (solo) or the MSR pocketrocket (when I am cooking for 2-3 people), the MSR Windpro stoves are definitely workhorses. They are the backpacking stoves the store I work at rents out and they are easy to use and can definitely take a beating!

Johnny Swank
07-17-2006, 10:48
Another alcohol user with a good review of the windpro. We use our alky stove 90% of the time, but the windpro when car camping or some other situation where you need more fine control.

Took a one burner propane stove on the river, mainly because of fuel availabilty. What a complete pain in the butt! I was ready to pitch that thing overboard by the end,

NICKTHEGREEK
07-17-2006, 11:22
The remote canister style has one potential advantage -- in very cold weather, the canister can be turned upside down to feed liquid fuel to the stove. This eliminates the major problem with canister stoves not performing well in cold weather as the fuel stops evaporating.

I use a similar design, the snowpeak gigapower BF, that has a low profile and very wide stable pot supports. It rocks with a outback oven, no danger of overheating the canister. I have a jetboil but have stopped using it, I'm just into doing real cooking even on overnight trips.

neo
07-17-2006, 13:32
As long as you don't have to depend on finding cannisters at the trailheads, OK. The negatives I've heard about most of these type stoves are their performance in cold weather, heavy, and expensive fuel. Positives, cooks fast, low maintenance. I eliminated my stove worry on the trail, and thats fuel and clogging, cold weather, and elevation. I use a Sierra Zip woodburner. Had an alcohol and multifuel stove, haven't used either in years.

:D i have used mine down to 17 degrees:cool: neo

neo
07-17-2006, 13:34

i have a sierra zip stove to,they are pretty awesome:cool: neo

Amigi'sLastStand
07-17-2006, 15:07
All of the stoves listed here have had good user reviews. Just if you are going to use a JB, only as long as it a newer one, learn to freezer bag cook, like the Dinos recommended. It isnt easy to cook in or clean otherwise.

Ridge
07-17-2006, 15:08
i have a sierra zip stove to,they are pretty awesome:cool: neo

The only way to FLY, literally.

Grizz
08-07-2006, 20:03
Considering carrying a Jetboil as well for my NOBO, am wondering about fuel along the way? Are there places that sell them throughout the distance?

Amigi'sLastStand
08-07-2006, 20:16
Considering carrying a Jetboil as well for my NOBO, am wondering about fuel along the way? Are there places that sell them throughout the distance?
As often stated here, yes canister fuel is readily available throughout the AT. But to be safe, learn how to make a quick and easy Denat stove.

mweinstone
08-07-2006, 21:07
no dont get away stop puke die fart burp.

A L C O H O L

so wrong so dumb so awful so not a stove so not good so hard and bad and heavy and stupid looking and you are being no . go to stop. dont pass jet. go to other stove. pop can, triangia, any thing but a stupid dumb wrong foosk coose.

Phreak
08-07-2006, 21:31
I looked at the jetboil but am also considering the Wind Pro for the first part of my hike and switching to my Tin Man stove after the Smokies. Anyone else contemplating the Wind Pro? Don't hear too much about it on these forums.....

The Wind Pro is the only canister stove I keep around anymore. Tho I rarely use canister stoves, this is the one I would choose if I needed one. I've used the Pocket Rocket & Gigapower, but I prefer the Wind Pro over both of these.

Ramblin' Rose
08-07-2006, 21:50
This link may be helpful in selecting a cold weather stove. I hope that is link can be accessed since I have an account and I'm not sure if this comes under that.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/selecting_stoves_for_cold_weather_part_2.html

Skidsteer
08-08-2006, 06:38
This link may be helpful in selecting a cold weather stove. I hope that is link can be accessed since I have an account and I'm not sure if this comes under that.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/selecting_stoves_for_cold_weather_part_2.html

A subscription is required to access the page.

DonQuixote
08-08-2006, 08:01
One stove I have looked at is the Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight. Without all that fancy extra stuff of the JetBoil they came in close to the JetBoil performance over on BPL tests. I figure if you can get similar performance with a more "normal" pot it would be worth looking into.

I have the F1 Ultralight. It's a wonderful stove! 2.7 oz, boils water really fast, even on medium. On high it will be almost too fast to deal with. Since you don't normally have to use the high setting the fuel lasts a long time.

I highly recommend this stove.

P.S. Sgt. Rock, if you are considering buying this stove, PM me. I can get you a hefty discount.

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 08:41
Actually I have been thinking of getting one of these so I can also design a windscreen for them. If they are already close to a Jetboil in performance without one, they will probably be as good with one and you could use a standard pot. That is the goal anyway.

So sure, let me know about getting one.

HIKER7s
08-08-2006, 09:00
I have used my Pocket Rocket for several years now and was looking into getting the Jet Boil. Again, I have seen these have problems at around 30 degrees. (as with all of the cannister stoves). Is the Windpro or F1 that much better?? (I am asking)

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 09:15
As to temperature, I do not know, but I think they had some success using a the F1 at low temps. I personally have not used a cannister since 1987 when I had one fail me in the cold at temps I would have expected it to still work at. But I like to play with stoves, so I figure I would like to get an F1 to play with. I still like alcohol and wood for on trail cooking myself.

Just Jeff
08-08-2006, 10:56
I like the JB for the convenience and speed. For cold weather, I got a piece of copper wire to wrap around the cannister as described on the BPL link above. Haven't used it yet, though - waiting for Old Man Winter to cooperate with some snow and temps...

twosticks
08-08-2006, 11:30
I used the jetboil stove on a 7 day trip for two people. It gave us food and coffee in the morning and food and coffee at night with one canister. It worked great, easy cleanup and stored everything needed in a small amount of space.

the_iceman
08-08-2006, 12:02
Took my daughter and their friends out last weekend for 3 days on the AT. Took the Jetboil, an MSR, and a GAZ stove.

The Jetboil blew the others away. Made and ate Mac n' Cheese before the MSR had the big pot (it did have twice as much water) even boiling.

The darn thing is amazing and easy to clean. No soot, no priming, not even matches, no fooling around. Boiled coffee in 2 minutes. Blows away alcohol in performance. If eating is important (it is to me) and the cook time is the only obstacle, then the choice is obvious.

mweinstone
08-08-2006, 17:52
are you in a hurry to get somewhere?are you so hungry an extra minute means death? my trangia burnner in its clikstand wraped in my msr screens filled with denatured alcohol is the top conserver, slowest ,heavest stove.all you should concern yourself with is amount of food cookable. fuc* weight and time. were talkin food here hikers. or dont you whale on your food like the rest of us? all over the trail i saw an un equal distrubution of A,cook food to ready food packed, and B,fuel conserns dictating meal size and time. i was cookin and sharein and pigging out with no concern over fuel consumption. answer, cook slow dummies!eat more, last longer, share some food .

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 17:56
If you were in a hurry to get somewhere you wouldn't be walking ;)

Just Jeff
08-08-2006, 18:31
Yep - and everywhere's walking distance if you've got the time. Some day I'm gonna walk to Maine...

SGT Rock
08-10-2006, 22:41
I have the F1 Ultralight. It's a wonderful stove! 2.7 oz, boils water really fast, even on medium. On high it will be almost too fast to deal with. Since you don't normally have to use the high setting the fuel lasts a long time.

I highly recommend this stove.

P.S. Sgt. Rock, if you are considering buying this stove, PM me. I can get you a hefty discount.

Got my F1 ultralight in today. I go and get a canister tomorrow to play with the thing before I depart. Thanks DQ.

saimyoji
08-10-2006, 23:05
If you were in a hurry to get somewhere you wouldn't be walking ;)

Well, other reasons for a fast cook time may include:

weather (cold or rainy)- I can remember a time or two when I wanted some hot bevergae ASAP.

daylight- I've never encountered this, but if you get camp set up late and are losing light, its a plus to not have to wait 20 min

meal versatility- I guess some people make things on the trail that are more involved than just boiling water. (Who knows why? :-?) Heating these up quickly will allow you more versatility in your meals. Maybe?

I like my GigaPower for its weight, pack size and cook time; in that order. Though my water boils faster than other people's, I'm still waiting a good 15 min for the noodles/rice/whatever to cook.

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 08:15
About the only one I agree with is wanting a hot beverage. I've never found light to be a problem and I have found that a stove that doesn't burn hot works very well for cooking other foods without burning them to your cookware. I've done steak, omelets, and a few other meals on my alky stove.

MrHappy
08-17-2006, 19:27
I think I'm going to take the jetboil. I may even get the group-cooking system (it's only 3 ounces heavier).

The first time I used it was on a hike in January. I had two normal canisters, and they froze. To boil water I had to warm one on my stomach for a few minutes while the other was used, and then switch. It was 17 F out.

On the next trip I brought jetboil brand "four-season" fuel. It's a little more expensive, but it worked like a champ right down to 0 degrees.

the_iceman
08-17-2006, 20:07
Keep a canister in your sleeping bag if you cook for breakfast. I like the Jetboil becasue it is everything in one package. People say it weighs more but not when you add in their pot, bowl, etc.
Alcohol stoves are lighter but not as quick and easy. It is just preference. If you like it use it. If you are not cooking of a group you may not want to bother with the group cooking system. Weight and space. Ounces become pounds. If you could make coffee in 3 minutes without even a match or 8 minutes messing with fuel which would you choose. Yeah, you are walking so who is in a hurry, but you also do not go around saying where can I waste some time in camp today. Weight will make camping easier and hiking harder. Find the middle ground.

Smile
08-17-2006, 20:21
I liked them, and saw quite a few people using them and just raving about them this year, but what about clean up, difficult?

Just Jeff
08-17-2006, 20:51
If you cook stuff in it, getting your hands inside can be hard for folks with big hands. Getting burnt stuff off the bottom is the biggest hassle. I usually just boil water for FBC any more, so there's nothing to clean unless I make coffee or hot chocolate in there.

FLHiker
08-17-2006, 20:55
I like the Jetboil becasue it is everything in one package. People say it weighs more but not when you add in their pot, bowl, etc.
Alcohol stoves are lighter but not as quick and easy. It is just preference. If you like it use it. If you are not cooking of a group you may not want to bother with the group cooking system. Weight and space. Ounces become pounds. If you could make coffee in 3 minutes without even a match or 8 minutes messing with fuel which would you choose. Yeah, you are walking so who is in a hurry, but you also do not go around saying where can I waste some time in camp today. Weight will make camping easier and hiking harder. Find the middle ground.

Well said!!!

SGT Rock
08-18-2006, 07:15
Keep a canister in your sleeping bag if you cook for breakfast. I like the Jetboil becasue it is everything in one package. People say it weighs more but not when you add in their pot, bowl, etc.

Well actually you can go lighter than the Jetboil even when you do add those in. But you have to buy the parts seperatly. Just compare the weights of say a 4 ounce pot, 8 ounce canister, 3 ounce stove, 1 ouce lighter, and a 1 ounce pot cozy and you see you are already lighter than the JetBoil with all that in the system at 22 ounces.

JetBoil puts it all in one package, but it is still not the lightest canister stove system out there.

If you want to get the bigger pot, you may have already asked yourself why you want a cup instead of a pot. You are already talking about bumping the weight up to 25 ounces, Why not just get a pot and stove that is the size you want instead of taking a combined system and then try to customize it?

Anyway, it is your choice. You don't have to go the alcohol route to go the lighter way and you don't have to get a JetBoil to have a good canister stove. There are other choices out there, you just ought to make sure you are chosing the right one since it already seems you want to get a canister.

BPL has a good set of side by side testing results.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-18-2006, 07:34
As I've said before, if they improved the durability of the thing, it may be ok. Mine broke in two places, and I was careful with the thing, more so than I like to be. I liked mine for bag cooking when I used one. But I like my gear to be survivable, and until we find someone who thrus with a newer one, I would avoid the thing. Coleman Peak one with Ti pot.

the_iceman
08-18-2006, 19:10
My Jet Boil weighs in at 20 oz with a full canister. I talked to a lot of thru-hikers this year that carried them and said no problems. I also saw a Goga-Power on the trail I really liked as well.

I agree the Jet Boils does have some limits and you can go lighter. It is a trade off. Stuff that makes camping easier tends to make hiking harder.

P.S. > I also bought the Jet Boil at 30% off so it was lighter on my wallet.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-18-2006, 20:52
Like I said, I liked mine for bag cooking. I now enjoy the flexibility of the Coleman with a pot. I can bake in it, boil, fry, steam, etc. The JB gives you two options, bag or boil water. Anything else is a pain in the arse. But to each his one. Just keep an open mind down the road.

Twofiddy
09-04-2006, 20:57
Jet Boil is awesome!!

It has its limitations, but overall it is a great complete cooking system. If you are going to do coffee and 2 hot meals or more a day I highly recommend it.

If you are counting ounces it is hard to beat Etowah II or soda can style stove and titanium pot but if you want a complete package Jet Boil Rocks.

It is espicially good for the early cold foggy weather...

mweinstone
09-05-2006, 21:02
please dont use or buy jetboils .they have allready been outlawed in 49 states.

Spiritual Pillgrim
09-06-2006, 05:26
I saw several jet boils on my 06 thru hike. Everybody seemed happy with them.
I used a coleman feather lite white gas stove and loved it too. yeah thats right, all of one whole pound plus 1-2 pounds of white gas. no, i'm not on crack, i'm high on life.

Peaks
09-06-2006, 09:25
please dont use or buy jetboils .they have allready been outlawed in 49 states.

So, what's the one state that has not outlawed them?

Sounds like BS to me.

Blissful
09-06-2006, 10:59
We just bought a pocket rocket on sale at REI - we'll use it when there is three of us hiking then convert to the alcohol when there is only two of us (just outside the Smokies).
Are the canisters readily available or can they be mailed in drops? Esp in New England.
And does alcohol work okay in the cold or is it better to go with the pocket rocket when its cold - like in the Smokies?

mweinstone
09-06-2006, 20:09
only state..........

JoeHiker
09-07-2006, 10:51
So, what's the one state that has not outlawed them?

Sounds like BS to me.

Good news is that your BS detector is working. The bad news is that you're taking a troll seriously. Please don't feed the trolls.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-07-2006, 11:36
Good news is that your BS detector is working. The bad news is that you're taking a troll seriously. Please don't feed the trolls.

We don't have an ignore troll button, do we?

Heater
09-07-2006, 11:48
We don't have an ignore troll button, do we?

Yes, you do. In your User control panel.