PDA

View Full Version : Esbit tablets......

MedicineMan
07-15-2006, 22:32
can you fly with Esbit tabs? wondering what the airlines think of them in a Checked bag???

StarLyte
07-15-2006, 22:50
can you fly with Esbit tabs? wondering what the airlines think of them in a Checked bag???

Hello there Medicine Man.....

Absolutely not.

I would never attempt to conceal them in luggage either. Find an outfitter where you're going. Most big tourist towns don't have outfitters and you have to settle on Dick's Sporting goods and places like that---they all carry them. Unless you ship them to a friend's house where you're going, but then USPS doesn't want you to mail them.:o

Good luck.

WalkinHome
07-16-2006, 20:41
Hi Marsha, Medicine Man,

Esbit can be mailed if you send it parcel post (ground delivery) with the correct markings which are:

ORM-D
Surface Mail Only

I enjoyed using Esbit even though they were a little pricier than other options. Be Safe

MedicineMan
07-16-2006, 21:22
i'm flying out to Kings Canyon in three weeks and wanted to know my options....i've been using the alcohol stove setup for quite a while but was curious about Esbit..on the pricing, when you order a case they get much cheaper....now i'm wondering as a section hiker do i save weight with Esbit over alcohol? i bet SgtRock has done the math somewhere on this.

StarLyte
07-16-2006, 21:32
i'm flying out to Kings Canyon in three weeks and wanted to know my options....i've been using the alcohol stove setup for quite a while but was curious about Esbit..on the pricing, when you order a case they get much cheaper....now i'm wondering as a section hiker do i save weight with Esbit over alcohol? i bet SgtRock has done the math somewhere on this.

On my outwest trip in May, my friend and I had both. Though I strictly use esbit, he insisted on alcohol and only uses Heet in his alcohol stove. He also claims that the newer Heet comes in a better pouring bottle too. Sure enough, it was more convenient, and cheap.

Maybe you just better pack your alcohol stove and buy Heet out there. He also has no problems with his alcohol stove going thru airport luggage x-ray either and he travels constantly. I'm speaking of checked-in luggage NOT carry on bags--big difference MM.

It just might save you a lot of headaches.

MedicineMan
07-16-2006, 21:58
with no questions.....i think i'll take the Varga Triad XE (esbit or alcohol) and find the fuel there....