PDA

View Full Version : AT,PCT or CDT - decisions decisions

Smacky70
07-16-2006, 05:15
When I decided I was going to thru-hike the AT next year, I wasn't really aware of the PCT or the CDT. I've been doing some research on the other two and I'm now considering which one I really want to do. :-?

Whilst the social aspect of the AT really appeals to me, the geography of the other trails, (CDT in particular) interests me more as it seems to be alot more mountainous.

I was hoping for some insight from fellow WB members as to why they chose the AT against the other 2. (Or maybe you did one of the others first and then the AT)

My dream is to do all 3 eventually.

Johnny Swank
07-16-2006, 08:51
Get Karen Bergers book on Hiking the Triple Crown. Its probably the best resource and overview of all 3 trails from someone who's actually hiked them.

I will say this, unless you've done plenty of off-trail hiking and mapwork, I'd toss out doing the CDT. That's not a good trail for just jumping into.

The AT is more social and probably the most forgiving of the 3. There's food everywhere, towns are close by, and god knows there's plenty of info. The PCT is more technical and longer, but still doable for a first time hike. You'll need to have your stuff in gear for that from the beginning though. The AT has a well-equipted outfitter just 2-3 days from Springer. Not so much on the PCT.

The CDT look beautiful, but that's the one for when you have all the navigation skills down pat. Resupplys are farther away, as is water in many places.

frieden
07-16-2006, 09:36
Oh, thanks Johnny! I forgot about that book. Excellent. I've been given the task of beefing up the outdoor section of books at work, and I had completely forgotten about that one. ...on the list....

Smacky, I'm right there with ya. I'd love to do the Triple Crown. In fact, we were going to take the Florida Trail north, hook up with another trail to TN, get a shuttle to the AT, take the AT up, take the trail across country (name?) - that one would be rough with the Midwest weather - go down the CDT or PCT, and back up the other one. The reason I chose the AT was because of navigation. The longest I've every hiked was 3 weeks, and never really far from towns for long stretches. I thought the FT was a good start (the dangerous parts are south of here through the swamps), and then the AT, which is well travelled, marked, etc. It just sounded like an excellent trail for a newbie. I've been on parts of the AT, and I've been out west. The AT kicks your tail physically (up, down, up, down, up....), where the CDT and PCT are more level. All the trails are lovely, but for stunning views, and some serious alone time, go out west. I was also concerned with having grizzly-bear-bait-on-a-leash attached to my waist with the name of "Ed". With that in mind, by law you have to carry bear canisters out west in many places, which adds a lot of weight. Even with the physical challenges, I think I would stick with the AT for a first time long distance hike.

Smacky70
07-16-2006, 21:09
Get Karen Bergers book on Hiking the Triple Crown. Its probably the best resource and overview of all 3 trails from someone who's actually hiked them.

I'll definetly try get my hands on that book. Thank you very much for your advice Johnny and frieden, I've made my decision now and I will be doing the AT as originally planned.

Ridge
07-17-2006, 01:24
When I decided I was going to thru-hike the AT next year, I wasn't really aware of the PCT or the CDT. I've been doing some research on the other two and I'm now considering which one I really want to do. .........

Just curious, have you already hiked the AU Alps trail, 600+KM, 8+weeks from Walhalla, Victoria to Tharwa,Cap.Dist ?? If not spring is just a couple months away, it'll be winter here, it'll give you some good experience.
Hike the AT first, then the PCT, then the CDT, too many reasons for doing it in that direction. The CDT probably will not be complete until sometime after 2008, you can hike it , just have detours and requires a little more careful planning. The PCT, mtns close to dbl the elevations(as well as the AT) of the AU mtns. and 1000 KM longer than the AT and has it own set of unique concerns. The AT is more user friendly and may be the best to do first, especially if you're somewhat of a beginner.

fiddlehead
07-17-2006, 01:34
The AT teaches you how to climb steep mtns. And get along with others. And travel as light as you can.
The PCT adds to the education by teaching you how to find water in the desert, carry more water (and dry camp), and carrying bigger loads between towns, it is far less crowded than the AT and less sociably but still has a good number of people hiking it. (you can find hiking partners if you want to.)
The CDT adds a bit more by also teaching you route finding, map reading, gps skills (for most, but not all) and most importantly: the ability to hike without a trail.
This is a real freedom and probably not something you want to do as an inexperienced hiker. It's best to be in control, and not fearful of being alone, lost, and bushwhacking.
So, start at the hardest trail first if you want to, but there are few lessons that might be advantageous to learn first.
consider this: about 2,000 a year attempt a thru-hike of the AT
about 200 a year attempt a thru-hike of the PCT
about 30 a year attempt a thru on the CDT (hence much more of a wilderness experience.) (numbers may have changed a bit since i last looked)

Smacky70
07-17-2006, 02:36
Just curious, have you already hiked the AU Alps trail, 600+KM, 8+weeks from Walhalla, Victoria to Tharwa,Cap.Dist ??
I've only ever done 3-4 day hikes in the Snowy Mountains, but basically I've been there so many times that I have no intention of going back anytime soon, let alone doing a long distance hike there. I've gotten to the stage where Australian geography, flaura and fauna bore me. I've travelled extensively around Australia and I'm over it :)
Give me some *real* mountains, snow! pine trees! bears! (actually.. go easy on the bears)

Whilst NZ certainly has 'real' mountains, I've been there a few times aswell and I've done all of the 'great walks', so yeah, over that aswell.

Also thanks to the others who have posted in this thread, your advice has certainly cemented my decision.

Nightwalker
07-17-2006, 11:56
Talk to Sly. He's done all three and is easy to yak with.