PDA

View Full Version : Mt.Washington Post Office

Twisted Sister 1
07-16-2006, 21:22
My sister and I will be section hiking the AT in New Hampshire. We'd like to know what the mail drop address for Mt. Washigton is and what the post office hours are. Is there any special way we should mark the address? I've looked around the internet, but continue to wander in my lost way. Any help would be appreciated.

Kerosene
07-16-2006, 21:26
Hikerhead and I are planning to hike that same section the 3rd week of September. I noticed in Baltimore Jack's resupply article that he did not recommend relying on a Mt. Washington mail drop due to the post office's unusual hours and unreliable staffing. However, I'd love to reduce my food supply if possible.

I was thinking about trying to arrange a food cache in Crawford Notch and would love to hear any suggestions on how to best accommodate that idea, in addition to the Mt. Washington post office.

Frosty
07-16-2006, 22:31
My sister and I will be section hiking the AT in New Hampshire. We'd like to know what the mail drop address for Mt. Washigton is and what the post office hours are. Is there any special way we should mark the address? I've looked around the internet, but continue to wander in my lost way. Any help would be appreciated.It isn't what you think of when you think of a post office. It exists so that tourists can get post cards hand cancelled with a "Mount Washington" postmark. I think it is open most summer weekends, but I also seem to recall someone telling me that it doesn't receive any mail, that mail addressed to Mt Washington, NH is actually sent to Gorham. I'd check with the Post Office (you'll have to call the 800 number probably) before I sent anything there with the expectation it will actually be on Mt Washington and not in Gorham.

latte
07-16-2006, 22:50
You could try to drop a box at the hiker hostel in crawford notch. Not sure if they do that or not, but definitely worth looking into. I know that you can personally drop off a resupply at Lafayette campground for a section hike thru the Franconia area.

emerald
07-16-2006, 22:54
Mt. Washington, NH 03589 (603) 466-3347

The post office in the summit building is not recommended as a mail drop. Its hours are limited, and it caters to those who visit the summit and desire to have the distinguished Mt. Washington postmark; since there is little space for storing mail drops, they may be redirected to other New Hampshire post offices, well off the Trail.

Mail drops accepted at:

AMC Highland Center at Crawford Notch
Route 302

Bretton Woods, NH 03575

(603) 278-4453

http://www.aldha.org/

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2006, 22:58
We'd like to know what the mail drop address for Mt. Washigton is and what the post office hours are.

The PO on the summit is really just a closet, I've never seen it 'manned' except for someone picking up the postcards to take down the mountain to be mailed. The AMC's Highland Center and Pinkham Notch Visitor Center on either side of Mt Washington accept drops.

Welcome to Whiteblaze, Twisted Sister 1! Is this the Twisted from the IAT a few years back?

TJ < slower than Shades :D

Twisted Sister 1
07-17-2006, 06:38
It's the other Twisted Sister that did the International Trail! I'm the oldest so I get to be Twisted Sister 1. :-?

Twisted Sister 1
07-17-2006, 06:49
Thanks for the help. I did read that the Post Office at Washington was a bit "iffy." We'll go for the one at the Highland Center. Can you get a ride there pretty easy? We'll want to leave where the AT crosses the road and return there.

The Old Fhart
07-17-2006, 13:43
I had just posted this for Kerosene in another thread but in case you need another opinion, I wrote: "Having worked on the summit for the observatory I'd say the Mt. Washington P.O. would be my absolutely last choice for a drop. The only real use of that P.O. is to send postcards to your friends saying: "wish you were here.""

emerald
07-17-2006, 15:12
When I began working on my post, the previous two posters were working on theirs. It took a me a while to cut, paste and edit the information from my ALDHA Companion files on my thumbnail drive.

That ALDHA Online Companion is the hot set up. Check it out.

http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm (http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm)

neo
08-27-2006, 21:15

The post office in the summit building is not recommended as a mail drop. Its hours are limited, and it caters to those who visit the summit and desire to have the distinguished Mt. Washington postmark; since there is little space for storing mail drops, they may be redirected to other New Hampshire post offices, well off the Trail.

Mail drops accepted at:

Route 302

Bretton Woods, NH 03575

(603) 278-4453

thanks i will give them a call:cool: neo

rickb
08-27-2006, 21:23
Can you get a ride there pretty easy? We'll want to leave where the AT crosses the road and return there.

Very easy place to hitch.

Pop in to see the photo exhibit in the Barn next to the HIghland Center, if you have a few minutes. You can get a free headphone guide at the desk.

neo
08-28-2006, 09:03

Mail drops accepted at:

Route 302

Bretton Woods, NH 03575

(603) 278-4453

i just called them,good to go,thanks:cool: neo

Rambler
09-02-2006, 16:32
AMC runs a shuttle from #10 where the AT crosses route 302 to #9, the Highland Center in Crawford Notch. The hike from the AT to Crawford is about 3 miles and mostly uphill.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm

mweinstone
09-14-2006, 18:16
nice..............