PDA

View Full Version : Campsites near Carter Notch Hut

Twisted Sister 1
07-17-2006, 06:57
I've stayed in Carter Notch Hut in the winter and have no real desire to stay there in the summer. Unfortunately, our hike makes this a great place to stop for the night. I believe the last time I was there, the hut master told some people about some tent sites near by. Is this true? Can someone help me?

Mr. Clean
07-17-2006, 17:21
Pretty sure there are tent sites, for a fee, near the hut. You can double check at outdoors.org and look under the huts section.

rickb
07-17-2006, 18:15
You are thinking of Mitzpah, Mr. C.

weary
07-17-2006, 21:00
Pretty sure there are tent sites, for a fee, near the hut. You can double check at outdoors.org and look under the huts section.
I have never seen fee sites anywhere near Carter Notch, But there there are reasonably level sites on the trail that leads back to the highway, may be a half a mile or so from the hut.I forget the trail name and am too lazy and tired to look it up. But 14-mile-brook trail, or something like that, sticks in my mind.

Weary

Mr. Clean
07-18-2006, 06:26
19 mile brook trail. Heads west from the hut.

Peaks
07-18-2006, 07:20
As I recall, there are a couple of bootleg sites near where the Wildcat Trail (AT) joins the Nineteen mile brook trail. There are probably other sites down the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail as well. Other than that, most trails in the immediate area of Carter Notch are straight up or down, and thus not much flat ground is available.

Rambler
07-22-2006, 15:56
Yup, some good stealth sites along the river, especially if you can find a place to cross the river, ie. on the other side of the river away from the trail. It should have plenty of water in it, too.

Peaks
07-22-2006, 19:03
Yup, some good stealth sites along the river, especially if you can find a place to cross the river, ie. on the other side of the river away from the trail. It should have plenty of water in it, too.

However, up in the notch where the Wildcat Ridge Trail (AT) joins the 19 mile brook trail, there isn't much of a stream. Stream is down the trail, down the hill, and away from the AT.

DebW
07-31-2006, 11:01
Follow the Wildcat River Trail east from the hut. Just as you leave the restricted area around the hut (I think it's a 0.5 mile no camping area around the hut) and see the sign, there will be a campsite. Carry water from the river or hut to be safe. I checked this spot out last year though I ended up staying in the hut.

Sly
07-31-2006, 11:28

Speaking of stealth sites in the Whites...

There was an awesome stealth site (heading north) shortly before Ethan Pond across the river.