PDA

View Full Version : Hammocking through the Whites in September

Kerosene
07-17-2006, 12:10
I'm debating on whether to tent or hammock on a section hike through the Whites the third week of September. I love my Lunar Solo for the weight, but I'm concerned that there will be limited tent sites through this section. I love my Hennessy for the comfort, but I haven't stepped up to cold-weather solutions.

If people think that tree-swinging is a viable option through this section, then I'd like to consider upgrading to the new HH Hyperlite or Light Racer supplemented by a JRB Nest. That arrangement would weigh 40-43 ounces. I'd probably still bring a torso pad and my 20F WM Ultralite, but use the Nest in lieu of a down sweater.

I've never had my UL Backpacker Asym out in a hard storm, so I have no experience with drip lines, tensioning devices, tarp coverage, or even keeping equipment dry while hanging. Any suggestions that don't add more than a few ounces would be appreciated.

neo
07-17-2006, 12:33
I'm debating on whether to tent or hammock on a section hike through the Whites the third week of September. I love my Lunar Solo for the weight, but I'm concerned that there will be limited tent sites through this section. I love my Hennessy for the comfort, but I haven't stepped up to cold-weather solutions.

If people think that tree-swinging is a viable option through this section, then I'd like to consider upgrading to the new HH Hyperlite or Light Racer supplemented by a JRB Nest. That arrangement would weigh 40-43 ounces. I'd probably still bring a torso pad and my 20F WM Ultralite, but use the Nest in lieu of a down sweater.

I've never had my UL Backpacker Asym out in a hard storm, so I have no experience with drip lines, tensioning devices, tarp coverage, or even keeping equipment dry while hanging. Any suggestions that don't add more than a few ounces would be appreciated.

i will be hiking thru the white in september also,i plan on hammocking
all the way,give ed speer a call
http://www.speerhammocks.com/
he has hammocked in the white,i plan on calling him,good luck:cool: neo

neo
07-17-2006, 12:47

:) i just called ed speer he has thru hiked the AT twice,he hammocked all the way,he said the whites are no problem,call him for tips on hammocking:cool: neo

Nightwalker
07-17-2006, 15:11
:) i just called ed speer he has thru hiked the AT twice,he hammocked all the way,he said the whites are no problem,call him for tips on hammocking:cool: neo
Hey Neo! Do you know where I can find a plan/pattern for making a diamond-shaped tarp for my hammock with catenary ridge- and edge-lines?

Thanks

neo
07-17-2006, 23:13
Hey Neo! Do you know where I can find a plan/pattern for making a diamond-shaped tarp for my hammock with catenary ridge- and edge-lines?

Thanks

:) no,but i use this tarp,quite a few hammockers use this awesome tarp also:cool: neo
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12096&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=11901&catid=member&imageuser=3462

Spock
07-18-2006, 13:55
Diamond fly? Nope. Me myself, I'm more comfortable with a rectangular fly/cape, 5x9. You get lots more room for a little more weight and 'weight free' raingear as well.