PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Tega?

VictoriaM
07-17-2006, 15:48
Has anyone used this pack?

I'm thru hiking next year, so my big concern with it is the size. It's 2750ci, which seems a bit small. However, I'm a small woman, so it might be good to get a pack that forces me to carry less.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from someone who's used it.

jlb2012
07-17-2006, 16:51
reviews available over at backpackgeartest.org : Link (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/Gregory%20Tega/)

bigcranky
07-17-2006, 22:10
Do you have your other gear? Will it fit in the Tega? 2750 c.i. is small, sure, but it might be large enough if you have ultralight/low volume gear. (Gear like a small tarp, an alcohol stove, an ultralight down bag, that sort of thing.) Gregory makes nice packs -- we have a bunch of them in the gear closet -- so that shouldn't be a concern. My lovely wife took a look at the Tega, ended up with the Z Pack, which is about 3200 c.i., then sold that in favor of the new Osprey Ariel 55.

Take your gear down and see how it fits. If you don't have the rest of your gear, see if you can wait until you do before buying the pack. You could possibly rent or borrow a pack for now. You could also buy from one of the major outfitters (like REI), take it home, wear it around the neighborhood with all your gear for a couple of weeks, and send it back if it doesn't work.

poison_ivy
07-18-2006, 08:21
I use the Tega and manage to cram everthing into it. However, I'm only a section hiker and I am only out for a few days at a time. I have the medium size... which is a bit larger than the small.

I used the Tega for my 100-Mile Wilderness trek last year (the longest stretch I was out) and I could cram five days of food in it with all my gear. (We had a food cache in the middle.) There was no way I could have put a sixth day of food in it -- it was really tight.

Overall, I find the pack very comfortable and like it a lot, but again I'm usually only out for two or three days at a time. I'll second the suggestion to bring everything to the store with you and see how it fits.

- Ivy

kyhipo
07-18-2006, 08:35
Get a bigger pack its better to have extra space than have not enough!kelty makes alot of good packs as well.ky

dragonfly
07-18-2006, 08:57
I'm the "lovely wife" mentioned by Big Cranky. Here's my two cents: as he suggested, first figure out what size (volume) pack you need, then go try on various options in that size range. If you're a small woman (I'm 5-4 w/ narrow shoulders) you may find that many unisex packs are really built for broad-shouldered men. I've found that many a pack has shoulder straps that are too wide and/or not contoured to prevent them from rubbing under my armpits or digging in to the sides of my neck. Also, be sure you're fitted for the correct torso length.

Gregory and Osprey both make relatively lightweight women-specific packs in a variety of volumes. When you're trying on a pack, load it up and walk around the store for a while. A long while. Keep adjusting things to make it fit right and feel good. If it doesn't work, move on to the next one. Don't settle on a pack that fits just ok--it'll be miserable on a long hike.

Fahrenheit
07-18-2006, 17:53
I have the tega and have used it for a 5 week trip. I have the medium sized, b/c I'm very tall, though. I have been very happy with this pack. Its very comfortable and has a nice narrower profile that I like. My only complaint with this pack is all the straps. Its good to be able to adjust a pack but this pack has straps I haven't figured out how to use yet. They kind of hang too long and I have ended up cutting a lot of them or tying knots in them to keep them out of my way. Otherwise great pack with more than enough space for a thru of the AT.