PDA

View Full Version : What stove will last the AT?

hawkeye
03-21-2003, 17:41
I see alot of talk about alcohol stoves,how much wiegh they save etc.,How easy is it to get good fuel for them on the trail vs white gas stoves? My Primus butane/white gas stove works great but is it worth it to dump it to save 15oz.?

SGT Rock
03-21-2003, 17:47
My Turbo V8 stove lasted all of Trail Yeti's hike, as well as that of his girlfriend. My Ion stove is basically the same material but only lighter.

Peaks
03-21-2003, 18:01
Even if a pepsi can stove doesn't last the entire trail, it's easy enough and cheap enough to replace. And still keeps 15 ounces or so out of your pack.

If you are worried about it, put a second one in a bounce box, or have a replacement shipped periodically like you do for maps.

silverback
03-21-2003, 18:20
Hell yes it's worth switching for 15 oz! I've had a Trangia mini for 4 years and used it on a thru hike, and it shows no wear at all. Never had a problem with it in any way. Not quite a slight as a pepsi can stove though.

Jumpstart
03-21-2003, 19:13
We started with a trangia Westwind stove, which was fine and relatively light, but then we used a coke can stove that we made at Kincora Hiker's Hostel (in TN), all the way to the end. It held up very well, and we are still using it. It's quite the source of pride for us :D Alcohol is as easy (if not easier) to find than all the other fuels, and the weight savings was significant.

hawkeye
03-21-2003, 22:44
Brasslite micro or trangia?

Virginian
03-21-2003, 23:29
I carried the Whisper lite and loved it . Pepsi cans just didnt have the BTU's I wanted.

chris
03-24-2003, 10:21
If all you do is boil water and add a package of stuff, alcohol is the way to go. Don't get fancy unless you really like fiddling with stuff. Cut off the bottom third or fourth of a beer can. That is your stove. You are done. Cut up a coffee can or a can of beans for a stove stand.

Sleepy the Arab
03-24-2003, 18:24
I have a MSR Dragonfly that hasn't given me a moment of grief for one and a half thru-hikes. This was cooking, on average, one meal a day. However let me add that there is little reason why a stove should not last at least a thru-hike if you take care of it - keep your fuel to white gas, shake it about to let the cleaning needle do its thing, don't use it to try setting toenail clippings aflame, etc.

Redbeard
03-25-2003, 12:46
Fuel tab stove, unbreakable, if you break it, find a couplea' rocks. mmm, love the taste of chemicals....

hawkeye
04-04-2003, 13:19
Just got Trangia from REI . Went outside and boiled 16oz of water! It was 45 degrees outside.