PDA

View Full Version : Idahoan Potatos. More addictive than crack.

headchange4u
07-17-2006, 17:54
I was reading through the "Favorite 1 Pot Meals" thread and I noticed a few people advocating the use of Idahoan Potatoes in some of the 1 pot meals. The Four Cheese flavor seemed to be the most popular.

Normally I use the instant potatoes that come in a box, so on my last trip to the grocery I picked up a couple of packs of the Four Cheese flavor. I first made the meal containing foil pack chicken, stuffing, and some Idahoian Potatoes. Delicious. The other night my wife wanted a snack so I whipped up the other pack of potatoes and ate them by themselves (I put some jerky in my potatoes. My wife is a vegatarian so more jerky for me.).

:eek:OMG these things are great!!!

The next day I went back and bought more Idahoian Potatoes. I got the Baby Red and Loaded Potatoes flavors. Delicous. For for dinner the other night I had IP. I ate IP for lunch today. I am eating IP, of the Loaded Potatoe varity, as I type this.

I am addicted to these things. So is my wife.

What's your favorite flavor of Idahoan Potatoes?

emerald
07-17-2006, 18:02
:eek:OMG these things are great!!!

For for dinner the other night I had IP. I ate IP for lunch today. I am eating IP, of the Loaded Potatoe varity, as I type this.

Maybe you should get a second job now, or, better yet, counseling before it's too late? Sounds like an expensive habit.

I've heard tell of all manner of folk selling off family heirlooms, the shirts off their backs to support such habits.

Uncle Silly
07-17-2006, 18:07
I like 'em... they're a little heavy and nutrition-poor for trail use, IMHO, but they are easy and filling. I think I stopped buying them after my first month (in favor of something higher in calories).

A couple of times on the trail I made a packet of the 4-cheese flavor, used a touch of olive oil as a butter substitute, and added chunks of chedder cheese (crumble the cheese and toss in while the potatoes are still hot, stir it up and let sit a minute or three). By the time they're cool enough to eat, the real cheese is melted and blends in well. MMmmmmmmm!!

Skyline
07-17-2006, 18:11
Add some dehydrated veggies and you have a better nutrition meal. Add a 3-oz. foil pak of chicken and you have a feast.

sarbar
07-17-2006, 21:44
Back when I could eat them, my favorite meal was the 4 cheese, dried chives, half a bag of shelf stable bacon....and freezedried peas on the side. delicous.
And yeah, really bad for you :p

Ewker
07-17-2006, 23:24
I add smoked oysters to the potatoes. Buy the ones in a tin. You get more and they are less expensive than the foil packed ones.

kyhipo
07-18-2006, 08:32
just say no!after about a month of paste a person just hast to say no:eek: ky

Stonewall
07-18-2006, 10:49
haha i just had them for the first time last nite. God they were good:D

IdahoDavid
07-18-2006, 14:05
Bwa, ha, ha (evil laugh) -- we have you now! Our evil plan for world domination is going according to plan. We lur you in with our simple dried tubar dish and before you know it you will want to buy only Idaho-grown farm products and visit our resorts.

Greetings from Idaho.

Skidsteer
07-18-2006, 17:15
A people who make war on the Earth will never live in peace. A nation that depends on fossil fuels can never live free. In the society that places more value on philosophers than plumbers, neither the philosophy nor the plumbing will hold water.

I like your signature, IdahoDavid. I'm pretty sure half of it is Heinlein. What's the other half from?

Alligator
07-18-2006, 17:24
I like your siganature, IdahoDavid. I'm pretty sure half of it is Heinlein. What's the other half from?The plumbing part is John W. Gardner.

Skidsteer
07-18-2006, 18:40
The plumbing part is John W. Gardner.

Ah, so it is. RAH was never shy about his use of others' work. I suppose a bit of it rubbed off in the reading.

You gotta admit that it sounds like something Heinlein would say. :o

IdahoDavid
07-18-2006, 19:29
I wish I your gift for memory. The saying is just something I remembered from my teens -- back in the 1970s. Glad you like it.:-?

FatMan
07-18-2006, 19:49
Yes, the 4 cheese was very good. But don't worry about your addiction. It is temporary. But like so many trail foods, after all the indulging it won't be long before you will be sickened by the sight of the package.

ed bell
07-18-2006, 21:16
Yes, the 4 cheese was very good. But don't worry about your addiction. It is temporary. But like so many trail foods, after all the indulging it won't be long before you will be sickened by the sight of the package.Anyone try the pre- cooked bacon added to the mix? :D

Skidsteer
07-18-2006, 21:26
Anyone try the pre- cooked bacon added to the mix? :D

You know,I assume, that pre-cooked bacon will kill you quicker than straight tequila?

You can marinate the bacon in tequila just to be safe. :D

What a way to go.

headchange4u
07-18-2006, 22:03
The Loaded Potatoe flavor has imatation bacon bits in it. I have put bacon in the potatoes and it's really good but jerky was better.

ed bell
07-19-2006, 00:25
You know,I assume, that pre-cooked bacon will kill you quicker than straight tequila?

You can marinate the bacon in tequila just to be safe. :D

What a way to go.I would rather use thick-cut premium bacon, but that would require me to whip out the Dragonfly. As any backpacker knows, whipping out the Dragonfly is 10X worse than letting your dog **** in the water source. Not good times at all. For that reason, I'll sip my Cuervo at my stealth site while hoping my afterburner doesn't attract any bacon hounds to my site. As far as wildlife goes, they ALWAYS think I'm packin' heat after hearing the ol' trusty Dragonfly.:D

headchange4u
07-19-2006, 09:16
Excuse my ingnorance, but what the heck is the "Dragonfly" you refer to?

jlb2012
07-19-2006, 09:17
the Dragonfly is a very loud whitegas stove from MSR - sometimes referred to as the 747 of stoves

MOWGLI
07-19-2006, 09:24

Next stop - Weight Watchers! :eek:

I'll have to pick some of these up for our hike that starts Sunday. My kid loves mashed spuds - just like her old man. :banana

Alligator
07-19-2006, 09:26
Ah, so it is. RAH was never shy about his use of others' work. I suppose a bit of it rubbed off in the reading.

You gotta admit that it sounds like something Heinlein would say. :oI grok:D . Or Vonnegut. The first part sounds very familiar too, but I couldn't place it.

sarbar
07-19-2006, 10:04
Anyone try the pre- cooked bacon added to the mix? :D
You must have not read my reply :rolleyes: Shelf stable bacon=good eats. The stuff that comes in poly bags, Hormel is one brand. Precrumbled and ready to pork out on :D