PDA

View Full Version : calling for computer assistance for Trail Angel Mary

Uncle Silly
07-17-2006, 18:02
hi folks,

After the Billville Hiker Feed last week in Duncannon PA, I spent some time working on Trail Angel Mary's computer to get her back online. I restored her internet connectivity, but she's still nursing a sick computer. Mary does a lot for the hikers, and allows them to use her computer for no charge. If anyone can provide used or new PC parts, a 1ghz or faster hand-me-down computer, or technical assistance with installing parts or software), please get in touch with me or Mary.

Here's the details of what she's got now, and what we'd like to find for her.

Current specs:
AMD Duron 900mhz processor (Socket A)
384mb PC100 RAM (1x256mb, 1x128mb)
20gb harddrive
Nvidia TNT2 graphics card (broken cooling fan)
56k modem
USB2 add-on card
Windows ME (upgraded from Win98 -- NOT a clean OS install)
The motherboard on her computer is showing signs of impending failure, due to leaky capacitors or overheating (or both). While I was there, I replaced the CPU cooling fan to help with the overheating, and moved the RAM out of a bad slot on the motherboard to fix some of the system freezes. I also fixed issues with the modem drivers to get her back online.

These steps have helped stabilize her computer, but we're not done yet. The operating system needs to be reinstalled at a minimum (full C:-drive format and reinstall of Windows); Mary is currently in the process of backing up her photos and documents in preparation for a clean install of WinME. Mary also has several USB peripherals, including printers, a scanner, and cameras, and we all know how flaky Microsoft operating systems were with USB stuff prior to Win2000/XP.

WHAT WE NEED:
At minimum, we need another Socket A/PC100 motherboard to replace the one in her system. We could use any other standard ATX-style motherboard, but we'd have to replace the processor and RAM at the same time.

A bigger hard drive would be helpful, but not necessary. All the other components (modem, USB2 card, DVD burner, etc) are good and can be used with whatever new motherboard we can find for her.

If you can donate any or all of the parts we're seeking, or can donate your technical expertise to get this trail angel's computer back to a healthy state, please contact me here. I live 8 hours away, so a local technician would be very helpful.

Thanks,
--Uncle Silly

Wonder
07-17-2006, 19:24
I'm going to back scotsghost up on this one. Mary truly is an angel......she opens her home up to us......and even took care of me when I was sick last week.
She also allowed me to use her PC after it was working again........ which was great concidering you have to pay almost everywhere else in town! I'm just asking for support of this amazing lady!

jollies
07-17-2006, 23:56
If she can wait two months, I can get her a computer, but unfortunately, I am all out at the moment :-( Honestly, it's not worth replacing the Mboard. It's cheaper these days to just get a new computer.

bfitz
07-18-2006, 20:20
If she can wait two months, I can get her a computer, but unfortunately, I am all out at the moment :-( Honestly, it's not worth replacing the Mboard. It's cheaper these days to just get a new computer.
Unless someone has stuff on hand to donate. Or an intact computer to donate!

blackbishop351
07-18-2006, 20:56
Let me see what I can do, if this is still an issue. I'm not promising anything, but the physics dept. at UNCG is moving into a new building, upgrading a lot of equipment, and has just gotten a whole lab full of new PCs to replace their older ones. I'll enquire ASAP about getting one of the old ones; they're still pretty good computers. Certainly better than <1Gb processor.

bfitz
07-18-2006, 21:04
Let me see what I can do, if this is still an issue. I'm not promising anything, but the physics dept. at UNCG is moving into a new building, upgrading a lot of equipment, and has just gotten a whole lab full of new PCs to replace their older ones. I'll enquire ASAP about getting one of the old ones; they're still pretty good computers. Certainly better than <1Gb processor.
Great thinking!

blackbishop351
07-18-2006, 21:08
Like I said, I'm not promising anything. Sometimes getting ahold of used public school equipment can be a pain. It may be that I have to go through the school (full of jerks) instead of the department (full of people I know), and I can only get one pretty cheap instead of free. Don't know yet, but I'll find out.

trailangelmary
07-19-2006, 01:35
Thank you to all willing to help. We are a great community!!

betic4lyf
07-19-2006, 01:37
cant help monetarily, but socket a motherboards are cheap, and if u look in the weekend papre, you can get the memory for them pretty cheap, then just slide in the processor and cards.

Hammerhead
07-19-2006, 14:04
I'm a Network Admin here in Atlantic City and I'll be more than happy to see what I can get my hands on for you.

Hammerhead
07-19-2006, 14:10
Just thought of something else: Even though I've never met Trail Angel Mary, I'd be willing to donate a few bucks to help her get any parts that she may need. The parts that are needed aren't that expensive and perhaps a few small donations could help her out. Just a thought.

blackbishop351
07-19-2006, 14:15
Unfortunately, I got some bad news today. Apparently, the University requires that all school-funded equipment be returned to the school when no longer needed. The school then sells this stuff at a monthly "Surplus Auction". So. I can't get anything directly from the department. Sorry, guys. I'd go to the Auction and try to pick one up, but funds are pretty scarce for me right now.

Hammerhead's idea is great though. I wouldn't be able to donate a whole lot, but I'm definitely willing to do what I can. If enough of us chip in, we could probably pick up a pretty decent machine off Ebay or the like.

Uncle Silly
07-19-2006, 14:35
That's OK, blackbishop, it was a good idea and you tried. As one who's attended UNC-CH and NCSU, I'm familiar with the UNC school system rules and could've told you that was the likely outcome. Thanks for checking anyways (there's always the chance that some departmental IT guy says, "yeah, just sneak it out the service entrance..."). The state surplus auction might be a good source though, I understand computer systems often go for real cheap. You do have to be there in person though (and I believe all surplus items go to a single auction site in Raleigh).

Uncle Silly
07-19-2006, 14:35
If you guys would like to make a monetary donation we can arrange that. I think checks would be best (I know PayPal is easier for the donator, but they take a percentage of the money). If you'd like to send her a check, in any amount, please send to:

Mary Perry
2 Ann St
Duncannon, PA 17020

You can note on the check that the funds are for a computer upgrade. Thank you very much for your generosity.

--Silly

Hammerhead
07-19-2006, 15:02
i just checked and the only boards that i can get are 333mhz, so....i'll send a check out this friday. if you can think of anything else that you might need, let me know!

neo
07-19-2006, 15:11
If you guys would like to make a monetary donation we can arrange that. I think checks would be best (I know PayPal is easier for the donator, but they take a percentage of the money). If you'd like to send her a check, in any amount, please send to:

Mary Perry
2 Ann St
Duncannon, PA 17020

You can note on the check that the funds are for a computer upgrade. Thank you very much for your generosity.

--Silly

:) count me in,i will mail a check for $25.00 i hope that will help:cool: neo

if everyone here would contribute money on whiteblaze we could get her a great new computer

Two Speed
07-19-2006, 16:49

if everyone here would contribute money on whiteblaze we could get her a great new computerI never thought I'd do a "me too" to a post by Neo. How did it ever come to this? :-?

neo
07-19-2006, 18:40
Originally Posted by neo

if everyone here would contribute money on whiteblaze we could get her a great new computer

I never thought I'd do a "me too" to a post by Neo. How did it ever come to this? :-?

am i really that bad of a person lol:cool: neo

K0OPG
07-19-2006, 22:11
I thought this was covered in an earlier thread?

Anyway, count me in for a donation. Just don't tell the wife. She thinks I am too easy with the money.

Good Luck.

Uncle Silly
07-20-2006, 01:30
I thought this was covered in an earlier thread?

You're probably thinking of the thread about Miss Janet's computer troubles earlier this year. It makes me think we ought to organize a computer hand-me-down program for distributing donated, used computers to trail hostels and trail angels.

Thanks for anything you can give.

Ewker
07-20-2006, 10:07
this is just a thought but has anyone ever used http://www.freecycle.org/
I use it where I live and there is a guy who gets used computers and fixes them up. He then gives them away to the first person who repsonds.

I have used that site to give things away and get items that I need. You never know what people are giving away.

jollies
07-20-2006, 14:04
One of the problems with just upgrading the motherboard is that it doesn't solve the operating system problems she has with her current computer or even answer compatibility issues. Why don't we just consider either waiting for a donated computer to come along or saving up for her to get a new computer? I just ordered a Dell for my company and got a 3 GHz loaded for around $500 with a 4-year warranty. Also, why don't we organize someone on the board here to be a keeper of the funds until we have enough?

sherrill
07-20-2006, 14:07
Not sure of the problems she's having, but if you could wipe out ME and do a fresh install of XP, that would be a nice start. ME sucks!

Uncle Silly
07-21-2006, 01:49
Not sure of the problems she's having, but if you could wipe out ME and do a fresh install of XP, that would be a nice start. ME sucks!

Working on it, Sherrill. She's in the process of backing up files so we can do that at some point. If a spare >20Gb drive comes along before a motherboard replacement, we'll go ahead with a reinstall (just backup to the new drive, or install XP and programs to the new drive and use the old drive as the backup).

And I agree, ME sucks. ME on top of 98 (which is what she's got now) sucks even worse!

jollies
10-08-2006, 22:48
I have access to a fairly modern 2.4 GHz laptop with XP installed on it. Was wondering what the status of Mary's computer was and if she would have use for it? Anyone who is "in the know" please PM me or reply to this thread. Thanks!