PDA

View Full Version : Imput on a tent and bag

Stonewall
07-17-2006, 19:11
Lol can't figure out a good way to start this so here it is

I am starting in Feb for my NOBO

I am looking at the Rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html) Tarptent w/ sewn in floor ... reasons, lighter than an regular tent, more protective than a tarp, it is freestanding, alittle more virsetile than a hammock and a bit cheeper too.

I would like to get a hammock but mainly the cost is the main factor in why I am getting one at this time between the hammock the underquilt and over quilt it is about 200 dollars more than the tarptent and a bag.

Sleeping bag Marmot Atom 40° Ultralight 850+ Fill Goose Down Mummy Sleeping Bag Regular (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39174389&memberId=12500226) and Sea To Summit Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39208464&memberId=12500226) this way I can use the same sleeping bag through out my hike and not have to buy a second one

Tent .............30 oz
Sleeping bag ..16 oz
liner ..............9 oz
pad ..............14 oz
Total.............69 oz 4.31lbs

any suggestions or you guys and gals think I am good?

Lilred
07-17-2006, 21:12
I'm kinda wondering about that 40 degree bag even with a liner and the tarptent, That's not much for a Feb start.

max patch
07-17-2006, 21:30
A 40 degree bag in Feb???!!

I just about froze a few nights in my 20 degree bag with a May 1 start.

Please rethink that 40 degree bag!!!!

general
07-17-2006, 21:45
i would get that bag rating down to 0-10 for a feb start, especially with a tarp tent. they can be kind of airish.

bigcranky
07-17-2006, 21:54
Yeah, that was my first reaction. The bag liner claims that it "adds 15 degrees to any bag" but that should be taken with some caution. The Atom would be a good bag for the warmer months on the trail (heck, the liner bag would have been fine this past weekend in Tennessee), but if it were me, I'd be freezing in February in that combo. It's very easy to have lows in the low teens in February in the Southern Applachians. Heck, I've had temps that low in March.

Another thing to think about: the Rainbow is a great shelter, but Tarptents are open along the edges. This lets the wind blow through, which is great in moderate weather, but it can get cold fast. Just like a tarp. With a tarp, a warmer sleeping bag is usually a good idea. Heck, even with a hammock, I'd want that warmer bag as a quilt.

If I were starting in February, I'd bring my 5-F bag, and trade it for the lighter bag when I got north of Mt Rogers. With the liner bag, you might be able to get away with a 15 or 20-F bag, though.

Stonewall
07-18-2006, 00:53
Much appreiated on the info. I'll scratch the bag and go for one of the original ones i was looking at... can't remember which one that was right now but it was a 15* Hehe I knew my plan was flawed just needed a kick in the right direction :p

kyhipo
07-18-2006, 08:28
get rid of tarptent by a tent you will be warmer and a 40degree bag plus liner aint gonna cut it!I have hiked with a 30 degree one in feb and I had food bags,clothe bags and anythings else I could put on.The tent factor is real it will give you the most extra warmth,try a bivy tent something small but not to small so that you can flop around in it.ky

Footslogger
07-18-2006, 08:44
The tent looks great.

But listen to the comments regarding bag ratings. We just got back from hiking in southern Maine. We carried REI Travel Sacks (rated at around 45 degrees) and found that at higher elevations they were marginal on a few nights, even in the current heat wave.

Depends a lot on how warm you sleep and whether or not you want to have to wear clothes to sleep in .

'Slogger

hammock engineer
07-18-2006, 09:02
Go with whatever shelter you like best, just don't rule out hammocks b/c of cost. There are a couple of good hammock options for cheap, $40 to $70 range. You could make one for under $20. You can stay warm with a good sleeping bag and a cheap cc pad inside. Do some searches in old threads or ask questions if you want to consider the hammock route.

Stonewall
07-18-2006, 10:44
ugh back to the drawing board. I am thinking I'l go with the Marmot Helium 15° Ultralight 850+ Goose Down Mummy Sleeping Bag Regular (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39208819&memberId=12500226) which was my original choice and now I am rethinking the tarptent lol. such is life.

general
07-18-2006, 18:28
ugh back to the drawing board. I am thinking I'l go with the Marmot Helium 15° Ultralight 850+ Goose Down Mummy Sleeping Bag Regular (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39208819&memberId=12500226) which was my original choice and now I am rethinking the tarptent lol. such is life.

the tarptent is fine. you'll be in warmer weather as well, so the tarptent is a good all around choice. when the weather is warmer use your 40 or the liner alone. i am a tarp person myself, and in the winter, i use a marmot 0 never summer. even with the 0, i still sometimes wear a light weight base layer when it is in the single digits. you can also position your pack, and anything else you have, to block wind in the tarptent.

bigcranky
07-18-2006, 19:47
Agreed, the tarptent is a fine shelter, and you'll be using it mostly in moderate weather anyway. With the Helium and the liner, you should be set for pretty cold weather, especially if you wear your clothes to bed (down jacket, fleece pants, etc.).

Blissful
07-18-2006, 20:00
At Trail Days they talked of using a vapor barrier also to add warmth. My dh had a 45 degree Lafuma a month ago in VA and used his rain suit as a barrier in it because he was cold (temps had dropped). Worked good.

I'm sticking with my Squall tarptent and my 15 degree marmot for my March 1st NOBO start, though the bag is kind of heavy at 3lb and bulky (a synthetic). But I like it very much and carrying down still makes me nervous.