PDA

View Full Version : Port Clinton

Former Admin
09-10-2002, 07:02
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Port Clinton

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories, would you suggest a maildrop here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Hammock Hanger
09-10-2002, 07:10
The folks at the Port Clinton Hotel were very nice. Rooms are small but clean. Fans and TV in each room. A large bathroom down the hall. Cost is $30.00. NOTE: They do not take charge cards and there is NO phone. There is a laundry in the basement that is available to patrons of the hotel. -- Mr. Breen is a wonderful man who lives two doors down from the hotel in the yellow house next to the candy store. He will take you into the nearby town of Hamburg to the grocery, bank/ATM, fast food, pay phone, etc. -- The is also free camping in the park pavillion. There is a small outfitters on the blue blaze to the park. HH

prozac
10-04-2002, 15:47
I found Port Clinton to be somewhat hiker unfriendly. No real supplies to be had in town besides outfitters(very nice people)and hitching to Hamburg (5m) was extremely difficult as only road in town has no redlight or stop sign. The resturant/bar/hotel in town had good food but would not serve you unless you had a shower. You couldn't eat unless you showered, which meant renting a room.Catch 22. Tried sitting at bar to have soda and snacks and was told backpacks not allowed in bar area. Not wishing to risk leaving pack outside on major road was forced to rent room. In retrospect, I should stop at outfitters for limited food supplies and pushed on. Do not reccomend stopping unless you plan to go to Hamberg.

Peaks
10-04-2002, 15:58
Apparently different people have different experiences in towns such as Port Clinton.

For what it's worth, in 2001, you did not need a shower before going into the bar, and you could order food there. however, showers were requested prior to sitting in the dinning room.

The best spot for lunch and breakfast was the diner just north of town on the main road. I forgot the name.

Mail drops are very popular in Port Clinton because there is no stores to buy resupplies at.

I'll agree with HH's comments on Port Clinton.

Singletrack
10-05-2002, 03:59
Peaks is right about the shower.Only for the Dinning Room. The Bar Chicks were nice to me. They got one of the regulars to take me to an ATM in Hamburg and bring me back. When I told them I was a Veteran, the beer was on the house. Needless to say, I had to take a 0 to recover. Mr. Breem was super. A true Trail Angel. He and his wife invited me to their home, let me use their phone. His wife made an AT Quilt, ask her to show it to you.

Hammock Hanger
10-05-2002, 10:14
I saw the quilt. She is very proud of it. HH

Jumpstart
10-06-2002, 19:07
I had a terrible, terrible time in Port Clinton. I don't know if Pennsylvania was just wearing us out, or what, but there was nothing, nothing, I remember to be good about this town except for the portion of french fries served at the Port Clinton Hotel bar. No decent places to eat, no decent, inexpensive lodging, no phone to be found anywhere in town except the outfitter who was gracious enough to let hikers use it, and the Union House B&B was the worst $60 bucks I ever spent. It was the only place in town with room when we went through, and for $60 we got a shower in the basement that was dribble of water, and we weren't allowed to have a comforter for our room becuase they didn't "want hikers getting them dirty" and had to leave our packs in a n unlocked basement. We ended up hitching a ride to Enterprise Rent-a-Car from this town and going home to NH for a long weekend to re-evealute whether or not we planned ot saty on the trail or not. Granted, I don't think that had much to do with the town itself, but if it had been more hiker friendly it probably would have helped....just my two cents!

prozac
10-07-2002, 13:23
My description of Port Clinton as " hiker unfriendly " was in no way meant to disparage the people of Port Clinton. Spent a night there and was treated very nicely, especially at the outfitters. My main point was the lack of goods and services to be had there. Except for soda and candy at the outfitters their was nothing. The dining room had great food (Largest serving of french fries in the free world) and the service was excellant. You are correct on one account, shower is needed for dining room only. Maybe I was unclear, but my problem with the bar area was not that I needed a shower, but my backpack was unwelcome. Being from NJ has probably made me a little cynical, but I was not comfortable leaving 1000$ worth of gear outside while eating.I am sure there has been problems in the past with hikers packs bumping into patrons, but thought thought that a town bar/hotel right on the trail would be more sympathetic to this problem. Also, the outfitters will accept and hold packages, and I'm pretty sure he has better hours than the Post Office. PROZAC

The Weasel
10-07-2002, 20:14
Many business establishments along the trail do not welcome packs inside, in no small part because they can be very dirty, and store owners don't have a lot of chance to do "clean inspections". One alternative is, if you're hiking with friends, to take turns inside. That's hard to do with a bar, yeah. But there may be other places where you can "check" your bag for a few hours - gas stations, even police departments or fire stations - if you chat with them for a little bit in advance, i.e. don't take anything for granted except that most people enjoy helping.

The Weasel

Peaks
10-08-2002, 07:07
I left my pack outside many a business establishment along the trail, or in their entrance lobby. Maybe I was concerned at first, but I discovered, or maybe rediscovered, the good in mankind. My pack was never touched, and I became fairly comfortable doing it.

I think that locals in the trail towns are used to seeing packs sitting in front of stores, restaurants, etc. And they understand how important your pack is to you.

Now, some places are more scarey than others. Like leaving a pack around Bear Mountain where there are lots of people mulling around. So, like everything else, heed your instincts.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2002, 18:44
A few quick words on Port Clinton:

Weasel's 100% right----lots of places don't want your backpack inside, especially where food is being served. Packs are frequently, dirty, muddied, wet, nasty-looking, draped with socks and other hiker detritus, and so on. Morover, they all smell like dead cats. A place that asks you to enter packless is NOT a place showing unfriendliness to hikers; it's merely thinking about the rest of its patrons, especially the ones who LIVE in the area and frequent the place more than once, like the hikers. A business has an obligation to its regulars, and several places on the Trail have seen a loss of local patronage as a result of becoming seen as TOO hiker-friendly or TOO much of a hiker place. In other words, hikers shouldn't get bent outta shape if places, especially eateries, have regulations or requests dealing with one's gear, attire, or hygeine level. These places, after all, are businesses, and usually small ones. They simply can't afford to alienate or drive away their immediate neighbors in order to bend over backwards accomodating some fragrant passserby, who in all likelihood, will never be back that way again.

I've always found the folks at the Port Clinton Hotel to be first class; true, they ask you to clean up a bit if you're going to eat in the dining room (it's a small room, and the locals who go there don't want to sit a foot away from some rank hiker), but there is no dress or cleanliness code in the barroom, where hikers are always welcome, even fresh off the Trail, the staff and other customers are always friendly, and the food is excellent, reasonably priced, and the portions are enormous.

It's true that facilities are extremely limited in Port Clinton, but what's there is just fine: A great place to eat, drink, or lodge (the Hotel); a great breakfast place (the diner); limited outfitting supplies; FREE lodging at the pavillion; effieciently run Post Office; lots of friendly locals who'll pick you up hitching or shuttle you to a real town like Hamburg, and so on.

I'm sorry not everyone enjoyed this town, but I've stayed overnight there more than 7 times and have never had a bad experience there, and the motel is absolutely one of the most hiker-friendly restaurant/bars on the entire Trail.

Whew! More than a few quick words, but it needed saying!

stranger
12-10-2002, 09:33
I had a pretty good time in Port Clinton passing thru in 01. I arrived there with about $12 and was shocked after finding out there was no ATM...but some fellow hikers spotted me until I could hit the PO in the morning. I didn't care about the shower before dining request cause I just hung in the bar and ate there, and they were very friendly in the bar. Other than not having a grocery it's a pretty decent town.

hikerat2002
04-23-2003, 19:15
This talk about Port Clinton and needed showers for dining reminds me of my '95 thru-hike in PA. I stayed at the 501 hostel and thumbed a ride to the town at the bottom of the hill, Pines Grove I think. Anyway, I looked for the restaurant and found it but when trying to open the glass door, it was locked. I saw people dining inside and I banged on the window a few times like a bear looking for food. The patrons motioned me to another entrance. Wheeww, I smelled horrible in retrospect and I nonchalantly dined in the restaurant while my waitress had to hold her breath with a pissed look on her face. So, yeah, taking a shower before dining is a good thing.

Crash
10-26-2003, 08:48
Cabelas is now open. Its about 3 miles east (of Port Clinton, at Rte. 78). Its HUGE. Check out their website if you don't know what they are: www.cabelas.com Granted it does not have ultralight equipment but you can get new boots, clothes, sleep bags, etc.

Skeemer
10-26-2003, 09:29
My experience in Port Clinton was excellent considering it was during 2 of the hottest days of my hike. I agee with BJ's remarks above...can't say it any better.

A plug for the outfitter vs Cabelas. The young proprietor seemed genuinely interested in serving his customers. I believe he said he was in his 3rd year and for his "limited thru-hike season" I thought he made a pretty good attempt to stock what hikers use.

I stayed at the hotel which had very limited space. I was so grateful for the air conditioning. I could'nt check in upon arrival and left my gear on the front porch unattended for several hours. When I finally checked in I forgot my Treka's and left them on the porch all night. When I packed up in the morning they were gone. I stopped by the pavillion and there they were...a hiker had picked them up. Needless to say I was happy...I would have had to buy new ones.

Yeah, biggest plate of fries in the world.

Great candy and nut store...with great AC.

Restaurant on the edge of town...very friendly and great breakfast.

Footslogger
10-26-2003, 11:13
Port Clinton gets a "two-thumbs-up" from me. Not sure why some hikers wouldn't have found it to be a great trail town, unless perhaps their expectations were a tad high. After surviving that "controlled fall" into Port Clinton I went straight to the Post Office and had great service. Then it was off to the Port Clinton Hotel, where I had one of the best burgers and no doubt largest plate of french fries I got on the entire trail. Oh yeah ...and did I mention that they had that cold local brew ("Yingling") on tap. Hell, that alone was enough to make me enjoy the town on a hot day. Seriously though, for a very small town I found the people and services to be more than adequate. That new outfitter in town will go out of his way to accomodate hikers needs too. All in all I would put Port Clinton on the list of top 10 towns that the AT actually passes through.

A-Train
10-26-2003, 19:21
Couldnt agree with Footslogger and Skeemer more (hey guys!).
Port Clinton was one of my favorite town stops. Vern at the outfitters is one of the nicest guys I met on the trip and he is unfortunately gonna be put out of business by Cabellas because the focus of his store is hunting, fishing, kayaking etc.. all things that Cabellas can out do him in. He gave us some great deals on trail shoes and frogg toggs because we were thru-hikers.
My friends who stayed at the hotel didn't have great things to say about it, and yea the phone situation is a bummer, but we had an excellent, very large portion of food at the restraunt for a low price.
We were greeted happily by members of the PC Volunteer firefighting department. Being race car fans they were anticipating the arrival of my friend FLICK who is part of the Kyle and Richard Petty race team. They not only shuttled us to a supermarker but invited us to drink with them at their private bar. I believe I spent maybe a dollar or two and was offered drinks all night long.
As far as the pavilion being loud (its right under a 4 lane highway) read my last comment re: beer.
The candy shoppe is cute and functional if you've got a sweet tooth. The trail angel Bag of Tricks oversees the pavilion along with other volunteers who fill water for hikers and provide magazines, info etc.. for use. Its a great free place to stay, wish there were more like it.
Port Clinton has hardly any services but its an experience you shouldn't miss, just like Duncannon. Somethin about cheap Yuengling that really excites the hikers I guess.
And the diner on the edge of town is tasty.

greyowl
10-27-2003, 12:43
Been away from the list (forum) for the past several days. Port Clinton is not really a town, but it is a pretty nifty place. The hotel does have a phone in its hallway (collect calls or credit card calls). The bar is great, but they do want to clean up before eating there. The Double D (I think that is the correct name) could care less if you are clean or not. Big breakafasts (don't know about lunch). Unfortunately they serve only those two meals. The outfitter is a great place, but I don't know if they will be open next year. Cabellas is pretty stiff competition. The Peanut Shop is a great plce to visit. If I shuttle to Port Clinton I make my passengers buy me a bag of peanuts.

The B&B is a place to avoid. They have had a couple problems with through hikers. They will only take cash from through hikers at this time. Don't know the details.

Hitchhiking is tough. Hamburg has all of the aminities that a hiker would want. It is a pretty fair hike there. I have shuttled a group of hikers there once, probably won't do it again. I live 45 minutes away and that is too far to drive for a 5 mile shuttle.

Happy Trails all,

Grey Owl

Appalachian Outfitte
11-25-2003, 18:26
Well let me say I personally have seen more than 2000 thru hikers since my opening. Depending on the person and the day, port clinton can be great or it can stink. If you are coming out of Duncannon dreaming of french fries and get to the hotel on Monday(closed) that stinks. To clarify the phone situation the hotel has one that works about 50% of the time, but you are welcome to use my phone. Now the shower bit, for what it is worth. The hotel will allow anyone(this is a definate) to eat there if you are not showered they don't want you in the dining room(as was mentioned above) real simple I don't think anyone should be offended by that. It truly comes down to your state of mind. If you pumped out 25 miles to get to the p.o. for a drop only to find it was closed any town becomes an eyesore.

Now for the Cabela's. I will have no problem living in peace and harmony with them. Their prices are higher and if you know good ulta light equipment you would be a fool to shop there. If you are just getting started they will definately going in the wrong direction with their lightest pack weighing in at 5 lbs. For shoes you can get them there without a doubt. Put them on if they feel good take em' as far as anything else not recommended. I appreciate all the support and comments and it is people like you that will keep my business here to serve hikers and help anyway possible. Thanks to evryone who stops in

God Bless Vern Appalachian Outfitters

Footslogger
11-25-2003, 19:06
Yo Vern ...great to see you posting here !!

Next time you see "Bag of Trix" tell him old Footslogger said HEY

NJPacker
11-26-2003, 11:09
Vern,
Nice comments. Right on the money! Cabela's may be a nice place to visit, but they are definitely not in tune with backpacker needs. It's great to see you here and I hope you will be around for a long time. I hope to see you this summer. NJpacker

max patch
11-26-2003, 11:38
Any town that gives hikers a free place to stay is "hiker friendly" in my opinion.

Appalachian Outfitte
11-26-2003, 13:17
Hey Footslogger I see tricks ablmost every weekend i will let him know you said hello, take it easy or take it anyway you can Later AO

Grampie
11-26-2003, 13:31
I guess the high point of the town is the hotel. My problem was I got to town on Monday and the hotel was closed. Nuts!! No french fries. I was soon to find out that the only public telephone was also in the hotel. Got a soda from the machine, on the front poarch, brought some nuts, from the nut store and was off back on the trail.
I think the town deffinately could use another public phone and it would be nice if you could buy a little something to eat when the hotel is closed.
The people that run the motercycle shop were kind enough to let me make a phone card call from their shop.
Grampie-N->2001 :jump :jump

Peaks
11-26-2003, 17:55
The highlight of Port Clinton for me was the restraurant just up the road from the Pavillion. Very friendly people there. And great food besides. Wish they were open for dinners.

Jester2000
02-03-2004, 20:05
I want to begin this post by saying that Vern rocks. Rocks long, rocks hard. Rocks like Aerosmith before they started sucking. One of the best people along the trail, and a pretty good cook (although I'm still not sure what animal that meat came from).

In my opinion, the surprising thing is how cool Port Clinton is, despite the fact that there's not much there. Free digs, cool bar, river to dip your balls in, PO, Yeungling factory just down the road. Trix or myself to shuttle you about if we're there when you're there.

I have to say that the town folk we talked to were really helpful and accomodating for last year's Red Blaze Billville Hiker Feed, and for that I thank them.

By the by, Vern posted elsewhere that Bobby (the man who provides the pavillion with water and is a true stand up guy) is ill. Vern, any info on where to send a card or note? I'd appreciate it.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2004, 20:07
Where's Woody hiding?

Crash
02-04-2004, 18:44
Yeungling factory just down the road.

I forgot about that! Its a great tour of their facility and great beer. but I forgot how far it is from Port Clinton.

anyone know how far it is?

Lone Wolf
02-04-2004, 19:12
Around 15 miles.

A-Train
02-07-2004, 19:36
Vern,
If your still reading this I was wondering if I could get your mailing address thanks
A-Train

rumbler
02-08-2004, 13:19
The one danger with Port Clinton is how early the bar starts serving drinks. Shameful!

Word of warning: If you elect to hitch to get groceries the next morning instead of that evening, then get your groceries and head out of town immediately. Do not - I emphasize, do NOT - go into the hotel for a cool crisp draft before you head out. And avoid the firestation at all costs.

Port Clinton was unequivocally the longest drinking binge of my hike. Two wobbly thumbs up!

bearbait2k4
02-11-2004, 14:51
I have great memories of Port Clinton, although they were helped out by some massive trail magic by our friend, Mary Pary. I still dream of mango-chipotle ribs.

This was during my bar-blazing stint on the trail (one of the many reasons it stopped being a thru-hike). We started at The Doyle, and ended up at the Port Clinton bar, where we later ran into the owner of Mugshots, in Palmerton, and bar blazed up there. Pennsylvania is dangerous.

Anyway, if you don't want to pay for a room, then don't. The pavilion in town is free. How can you argue with a free spot to stay? The ride into the next town isn't really difficult to obtain at all, and you can usually get a ride back by asking around in the parking lot of the grocery store. The Outfitters couldn't be more friendly, and you can order food at the bar. No need to enter the dining room. Great happy hour, too.

oyvay
02-12-2004, 02:50
I stayed at the church property pavillion and ate in the bar section of the hotel after asking if they minded a hiker with a less-than-rosy aroma. I have been inside the new Cabela's, it's mostly a hunter/fishing/car camping place, but there are a few items a backpacker can use if desperate enough.

Kozmic Zian
02-16-2004, 23:39
Yea......Port Clinton. Not my favorite place on The Trail, simply because there's not much there and the Hotel is right on the Hiway. The Town seems rather odd, or like from a Stephen King Novel or something. Can't put my foots on it, exactly. I had an Ok stay there. The Hotel was friendly, had a few beers and passed out from exhaustion, from the rocks between Swatara and Pt. Clinton, and that down. Zowie, what a run that was! Hotel looks like the typical small town PA town, still in the depression. On to Eckville...Eck...KZ@

Footslogger
02-17-2004, 00:02
Hey Footslogger I see tricks ablmost every weekend i will let him know you said hello, take it easy or take it anyway you can Later AO
Thanks Vern ...and keep up the good work. Hope to stop in and see you again some day.

Twofiddy
02-20-2004, 14:16
Port Clinton,
Get into town, stop out outfitter store and say hello to VERN, get mail drop, get the hell out of town!!

Hotel Bar waitress does not like smelly hikers... emphasis on smelly... I did not see any other local people trying to suck suds down at noon on a the hot summer day that I hiked through except the hikers and I had to hear abot how rude and ignorat that we are etc (those of you who know that occasionally I am rude and ignorant by choice, also know that I expect every business to have the mentality that there customers are always right and that the customer is the greatest) anyhow.... the breakfast a the joint down the road from the pavillion was expensive.... 50 cents for butter, 50 cents for jelly, 50 cents for cheese, $2.00 for an OJ refill, not hiker appetitie friendly. I think that it cost me like $12.00 or something for breakfast and I was still hungry when I left.

I did not get much sleep either under that pavillion because there is a pot hole or two on the main highway that is only about 30 yards away and the tail gates on the coal buckets were banging all night long on that road...

My general opinion of port clintion... Armpit of Appalachain Trail in Pennsylvania. Vern, Jester, and Tricks are kinda like the deoderant. When they are in town I am sure that the place smells much better... I missed you guys and the hiker ho-down feed, and the other cool things that take place there. The telephone in the HOTEL did not work right, and my cell phone was out of service there, so all in all Port Clinton was difficult for me. I found some cute gals at the shelter just north of there though when I walked out of town that hot sweltering evening... made me forget all about the place.

bearbait2k4
02-20-2004, 14:59
Chunky's a pretty tolerant bartender; she's just abrasive.

It's Pennsylvania hospitality, you just have to get used to it.

Kozmic Zian
02-21-2004, 15:52
Yea......Chunky. She'll serve you up a cold Yuengling faster'n a NY minute. Good bath there, too. Not a total loss, that's for sure. But, like I said earlier there are more 'fun' places to be.....KZ@

Cehoffpauir
08-13-2004, 11:40
This could be beating a dead horse, but any prospective thruhikers considering a stopover in Port Clinton (as I myself was 1 year ago) might appreciate another view.

Port Clinton has a great feeling. I found few exotic services, but found what I needed at the time--PO, free lodging at the pavillion, inexpensive restaurants, other thru-hikers, incredible trail magic (even before Billville Hiker Feed). I zeroed there, hiked to Eckville Shelter, and hitched back for Billville.

The pavillion is right beside the highway, but the traffic quiets down in the evening. One can tent in the large lawn across the street, where it's probably a bit quieter. Ed, who voluntarily oversees things there, will make sure you're comfortable. The bar is cheap, with large servings, frequented by friendly locals (some of whom might buy your meal). 3C's up the street is a good little breakfast place--they might let you use their phone if the hotel/bar isn't open yet.

Billville is very worth the effort to get there--if you can time your arrival for the second week of July, I recommend doing it. Far better than Trail Days!

Jack Lincoln
08-14-2004, 01:25
Helen Carbaugh would have broke your back.......

Mountain Dew
08-14-2004, 02:28
<------packing his bags and moving to Port Clinton after reading this thread. High five Vern on your entry.

Jester ... "I want to begin this post by saying that Vern rocks. Rocks long, rocks hard." ugh uh ummm is there ummm something we all should know about you and Vern ? hahaaa take it easy Mayor Jester ! :banana

TakeABreak
08-14-2004, 23:32
I stopped in there in 2000 with 2 other hikers, we were one of the first ones thru, we found it not to a place for hikers then. We could not get a ride to the outfitter, we had to walk all the way to the store, we had to leave deposit at the motel for the room which we never got back, because no one was around in the morning to give it to us, the tv did not work, and had to wait hours to do our laundry. Unless some major changes are done there to make more hiker friendly, I would only stop in for a mail drop and a sleep over at the pravilion.

jackiebolen
08-15-2004, 00:10
The Port Clinton hotel had awesome burgers and huge plates of fries, I didn't stay overnight though so I can't comment on that. Resupply options were non-existent. I ended up buying 12 chocolate bars at the candy store to tide me over until the next stop. Gross. Maildrop is highly recommended. Sitting on the coal chunks to take a picture is NOT recommended. That's where I ripped my pants :-?

Mountain Dew
08-15-2004, 01:48
Takeabreak ... The outfitter is all of about 2 blocks away from the motel.

Blue Jay
08-15-2004, 08:03
Plus the TV did not work. How did you survive???

Frosty
08-15-2004, 11:48
Plus the TV did not work. How did you survive???Cute, but that isn't his point.

When I'm in the woods, I make do. I don't expect TV or lights in a shelter, and will eat half-cooked food that fell on the ground, etc. When I pay for a service in a town, I expect to get what I paid for. The heat/lights/etc in my hotel room ought to work, and the restaurant ought not to serve me food that fell on the floor.

My 2 cents

TakeABreak
08-15-2004, 21:26
Mountain Dew

In 2000 the outfitter was about 10 miles away. The companion said the would shuttle you back and forth for free, I needed a butane/propane fuel canister, and had to have one UPSed ahead.

I'm glad it closer now, I will have to remember that for the next thru hike

TakeABreak
08-15-2004, 21:29
Frosty,

That was the point I was trying to make, It was an overall bad experience for me and others I talked to from the class of 00

NotYet
08-15-2004, 22:17
Well, I have to say that I loved my stay in Port Clinton in 2000!

The hotel had become weekly/monthly rentals by the time we arrived; so we didn't get to stay there...but that's sometimes how life is for a southbounder. :o Instead, we splurged for a night at the B&B across the street (but I wouldn't stay at that particular B&B again...pricey, noisey, smokey, and we had to find the cook to get our breakfast (he'd been up late). Oh well.

On getting my box at the PO, I discovered that a mouse had invaded my re-supply box, but that had happened back before the box was mailed (not Port Clinton's fault). Fortunately, most of my food was untouched, and plenty of other goodies arrived because my birthday had just occurred!

After sorting my re-supply, I headed to the hotel bar for one of the best meals I had on the trail...it was so good that my husband and I still reminisce about those FANTASTIC bacon cheeseburgers and those incredible HEAPING platters of fries! In fact, the main reason we stayed at the B&B was that we needed to bathe to get into the hotel restaurant that night. Once again, a heavenly meal! And very friendly people serving the food!!!!

If I'm ever back that way, I'm definitely stopping in for a burger & fries!!!! :clap

Rancid
08-23-2004, 20:15
Last weekend I was hiking from 501 to Rt. 183 and spent some time at the pond. No need to swing-out on the rope since the AT was a river, but still great. Anyway, I opened a trail register to read up on recent hikers. This is in a small memorial to a dog named "Sadie".
Boots and Rally had to take a zero there since the Outfitter was closed. One of them was in bad need of hiking shoes. It was rainy and miserable, so they took shelter at the PC Hotel. They claim that "the Wench at the bar took great pleasure in making them feel like s___." That was all that was written about PC and apparently they were glad to leave.
Just wanted to pass on thier thoughts.
Rancid

kentucky
08-24-2004, 10:18
I have been thrue there a couple times! and can say I have always enjoyed it, locals were nice,pavillion great.Not a big town dont expect much,but after 35m.the pavillion looked like mansion depends on what your looking for! but a great stop in p.a.:D

c.coyle
08-24-2004, 12:04
A second hand account of a single bad experience? Not worth a lot in my opinion. I have dined and imbibed, stinky as well as cleaned up, at the PC Hotel dozens of times over the years, and never had a bad experience.

LIhikers
01-02-2005, 22:02
My wife and I stopped in PC for a night in August of 2004. Instead of going to the hotel we decided to just spend the night at the pavilliion. Minutes after we got there a local pulls up on his garden tractor and introduces himself, Larry if I remember right. Nice guy, we chat a little and then off he goes on his tractor. A little while later he comes back with 4 beers and 2 sodas, all ice cold. I asked him if I could pay him for the stuff and he says "no". It doesn't get much nicer than that. Sleeping in the pavillion is an iffy proposition as the highway is right there and traffic went by what seemed like all night.

As for outfitters there are 2 possibilites. There is one right there in town who is closed on Wednesdays, or catch the bus to Cabelas, which I understand is only about 5 minutes bus ride away. The bus schedule was taped to a picnic table in the pavillion.

All in all a good experience for a one night quick stop over.

neo
01-02-2005, 22:15
port clinton my least favorite trail town,the people at the hotel and resturant ignored me,finally i left,stayed at the pavillion,the outfitter was not well stocked,i was hiking during non thru hike season,the only time i ever hitched and never got a ride was to and from hamburg,hamburg great town,met beth in port clinton and on the trail,a definate trail babe,:sun neo

swamp dawg
01-02-2005, 22:34
I agree that Port Clinton is very limited as far as supplies but the outfitter has some hiking merchandise. The folks from the church that maintain the pavillion could not have been any nicer. Postal workers were very cordial and have a good amount of shipping supplies for your bounce box. We could not find a public phone but the outfitters let us use his cell. The town has seen its better days and there isn't much commerce. The town permits hikers use of a very big pavillion and thats speaks volumes for a town of that size.
Life is good on the trail ........Swamp Dawg

Toolshed
01-03-2005, 01:58
Ditto on no phone. It'd be nice to see a payphone somewhere there.
I ended up giving the barmaid a couple of dollars for a 1 minute instate call for my wife to come pick me up ( I got to PC earlier than our scheduled pick up)

saimyoji
01-03-2005, 02:19
Dare I ask, a possible match (trail Princess) for the great NEO?

Blue Jay
01-03-2005, 08:45
Ditto on no phone. It'd be nice to see a payphone somewhere there.
I ended up giving the barmaid a couple of dollars for a 1 minute instate call for my wife to come pick me up ( I got to PC earlier than our scheduled pick up)

Pay phones are going quickly extinct everywhere to force the use of more expensive cells.

greaver
05-10-2005, 17:40
I had a great time in Port Clinton. Of course I was there for Billsville which was a totally awesome hiker feed. Bag of Tircks. Baltimore Jack and Crew awere just amazing with all the shuttling, cooking, etc.

The hotel bar was nice too. I actually thoguht the system they had was very reasonable. I dont need or want to smell up a restaurant when Im eating, its almost as uncomfortable for me as it is for the customers. I was more than happy to sit at the bar and felt like the other folks at the bar enjoyed the mix of hikers and locals.

stupe
05-10-2005, 21:35
I was there last October, and there was an ATM in the "Peanut Shop". a few doors away from the hotel.

DapperD
02-15-2009, 12:49
Well let me say I personally have seen more than 2000 thru hikers since my opening. Depending on the person and the day, port clinton can be great or it can stink. If you are coming out of Duncannon dreaming of french fries and get to the hotel on Monday(closed) that stinks. To clarify the phone situation the hotel has one that works about 50% of the time, but you are welcome to use my phone. Now the shower bit, for what it is worth. The hotel will allow anyone(this is a definate) to eat there if you are not showered they don't want you in the dining room(as was mentioned above) real simple I don't think anyone should be offended by that. It truly comes down to your state of mind. If you pumped out 25 miles to get to the p.o. for a drop only to find it was closed any town becomes an eyesore.

Now for the Cabela's. I will have no problem living in peace and harmony with them. Their prices are higher and if you know good ulta light equipment you would be a fool to shop there. If you are just getting started they will definately going in the wrong direction with their lightest pack weighing in at 5 lbs. For shoes you can get them there without a doubt. Put them on if they feel good take em' as far as anything else not recommended. I appreciate all the support and comments and it is people like you that will keep my business here to serve hikers and help anyway possible. Thanks to evryone who stops in

God Bless Vern Appalachian OutfittersJust wanted to say that I drove thru the town of Port Clinton the other day and saw signs advertising Appalachian Outfitters so they must still be open for business.

mikec
02-15-2009, 13:09
I stayed at the Port Clinton Hotel in April, 2005. Though the TV reception was lousy and the shared bathroom shower was stuck on full hot (I had to stand outside the shower and fan myself with the water in order to get clean) and the public phone that had been in the bar had recently been removed (I had to borrow the bartender's cell phone to phone home), what made up for these shortcomings was that the restaurant had a great steak, 2 vegetables, bread and a drink for about $10. And the lady at the candy store down the street was very nice and had a nice selection of candy. The postmaster was also very nice. The outfitter was closed when I came through. So while I don't think that Port Clinton has alot of services, I do think that those providing those services there are good to hikers.

zephyr
03-18-2009, 20:54
I hiked through PA last September and stopped at Port Clinton Motel. My biggest concern was that the rooms were located above a bar and the only part of the smoke detector showing was two wires. Where I live the fire marshall will close a motel for something like that. I dicided to move on to Windsor Furnace. The food was good and the people were nice. I am just more careful now because I'm older.

Blue Jay
03-19-2009, 07:43
I stayed at the Port Clinton Hotel in April, 2005. Though the TV reception was lousy...

This is absolutely hysterical and should be posted in the humor section. That's your first complaint. I have this same problem in my tent.

stumpknocker
03-19-2009, 08:29
This is absolutely hysterical and should be posted in the humor section. That's your first complaint. I have this same problem in my tent.

You must be doing sumpthin' wrong Blue Jay. I get great TV reception in my tent.

Is your electric cord grounded properly?? Got your Leki pointed right....awwww, I think I just figured out your problem!! :)

Frick Frack
03-19-2009, 08:49
We stopped in PC back in Aug last year and ate at the hotel (with 100's of bikers...on their Hardly's, oops, I mean Harley's). The Hotel could have cared less about us because we were hikers. I politely asked where to leave our packs and was yelled at and told to leave them on the front porch. The food was awesome but the service was not. We stopped at the Outfitter beforehand and got some Mountain House dinners to get us to Lickdale and they were very friendly (and warned us the Hotel would not be so friendly). After lunch a resident of the hotel insisted on joining us to Springer but didn't make it out of the gap. We stayed at Eagles Nest that night and did not see water till Hertlein Campsite where a bear ripped our food bag off the bear rope the next morning.

fiddlehead
03-19-2009, 09:44
That's interesting. I have a good friend who is a waitress there.
I would imagine the biker dudes tip a little better than hikers, thus the bad vibes.

I think the big problem (from what i hear) is the smell.
Hikers are not always welcome. IT does really really bother some people.
But what to do??? Eat outside or get takeway if you can't get a shower???

There's a good spring between Eagles nest and Hertleim but no longer on the trail. If i was out of water, i would hike the road which is where the spring is. (Pine spring i believe it's called and i've never seen it dry)

Frick Frack
03-19-2009, 09:51
There's a good spring between Eagles nest and Hertleim but no longer on the trail. If i was out of water, i would hike the road which is where the spring is. (Pine spring i believe it's called and i've never seen it dry)

Yeah, your right, we pumped water from there (just after crossing a paved road and on a path to the right when hiking south?)....almost 9L's worth! That was probably one of the best springs on the trail and could not have come at a more appropriate time.

shelterbuilder
03-19-2009, 10:44
Yeah, your right, we pumped water from there (just after crossing a paved road and on a path to the right when hiking south?)....almost 9L's worth! That was probably one of the best springs on the trail and could not have come at a more appropriate time.

Nah, that was Hemlock Spring - one of the few at that elevation that runs fairly well for most of the hiking season. Pine Spring is alongside of the OLD AT ROUTE (the dirt road that runs along the ridgetop between the Auburn/Shartlesville cross-mountain road and Rt. 183). Pine Spring is a good one, too. There are some other ones up there, but they aren't very reliable in warm weather. These days, even the upper Sand Spring goes dry for weeks at a time.

Frick Frack
03-19-2009, 10:53
Nah, that was Hemlock Spring - one of the few at that elevation that runs fairly well for most of the hiking season. Pine Spring is alongside of the OLD AT ROUTE (the dirt road that runs along the ridgetop between the Auburn/Shartlesville cross-mountain road and Rt. 183). Pine Spring is a good one, too. There are some other ones up there, but they aren't very reliable in warm weather. These days, even the upper Sand Spring goes dry for weeks at a time.

We were out of water at Eagles Nest and hiked back and forth between the AT and that road (with all the radio towers) looking for the springs marked on the map, including Pine Springs, and they were all dry as a bone (I believe we located 5 different springs on the map and they were all dry...we did not check Pine Springs because a note left said it was dry). Hemlock Spring was like finding gold through that section. Excellent water source...ice cold.

DC2.2GSR
03-19-2009, 12:23
Although it's still a good 40 minute drive, Port Clinton is my closest point of entry to the AT. I've hiked around there for quite a while. It's definitely interesting to read through some "outsiders' " experiences with the town and trail near it. Personally, I would never consider stopping at any of the PC 'accomodations' except maybe the outfitter. Then again, I'm not a hungry/thirsty thru-hiker who has to pass through. haha.

Blue Jay
03-19-2009, 22:20
You must be doing sumpthin' wrong Blue Jay. I get great TV reception in my tent.

You know I would fall for that one except, YOU DON'T EVEN CARRY A DAMN STOVE.:banana

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2009, 22:22
Just wanted to say that I drove thru the town of Port Clinton the other day and saw signs advertising Appalachian Outfitters so they must still be open for business.

YOU can PM him as well, he is here on WB as YeOldBackpacker. Check out members list.

shelterbuilder
03-20-2009, 09:20
We were out of water at Eagles Nest and hiked back and forth between the AT and that road (with all the radio towers) looking for the springs marked on the map, including Pine Springs, and they were all dry as a bone (I believe we located 5 different springs on the map and they were all dry...we did not check Pine Springs because a note left said it was dry). Hemlock Spring was like finding gold through that section. Excellent water source...ice cold.

If you're on that section and out of water and the other springs are dry, hike down the Sand Spring trail, go past the upper spring (the one with the big rock empoundment), and follow the trail downhill for maybe another 1/4 mile. Keep looking for a short spur off to the right - you'll find the LOWER Sand Spring! Good, clear, cold water - I've been hiking these hills for over 35 years, and I've NEVER seen this one go dry. Watch the rocks! :D (Note: if you come to a major stream crossing, you went too far.)

think0075
03-20-2009, 09:27
port clinton the town was a nice stop stayed out of some hurricane there last year under the pavillion. cabela's came and picked us up. didnt really care for cabela's but made it to the cracker barrel. went to the hotel for one meal. i would just like to say i have never felt more disrespected on the trail than i did there. i still think we left a 10 dollar tip on a 20 dollar tab just to remind the waitress that people dont always act like they look.

Blue Jay
03-20-2009, 09:44
Maybe it's because I've stayed there 4 or 5 times, always leave my pack on the porch and they somehow recognize me, but I've always been treated extremely well there. Last year the bartender offered me a free beer and I asked instead if he could find me a ride to a food store. He gave me the beer and not only found me a ride to the store but got me a ride to brewery. As has been said before alot of luck in towns is not luck but attitude.

Frick Frack
03-20-2009, 10:15
As has been said before alot of luck in towns is not luck but attitude.

Agreed, but my southern hospitality was not accepted in this instance :(

Bad apples can be anywhere and I do not hold a grudge against Port Clinton & will recommend eating at the hotel as it was delicious food & cheap

Blue Jay
03-21-2009, 17:07
Agreed, but my southern hospitality was not accepted in this instance :)

After thinking about it your southern voice, no matter what you said, may have been been a problem. Can you say "I'm frm Jooiisy, you frm Jooiisy" and then chop off the rest of your vowels for the rest of the conversation? Just joking I like Jersey as much as any other AT state.:banana

emerald
03-21-2009, 18:51
port clinton the town was a nice stop stayed out of some hurricane there last year under the pavillion. cabela's came and picked us up.

i would just like to say i have never felt more disrespected on the trail than i did there.

Then I suggest next time you don't stay there or take advantage of the services offered! Given what others experience, consider the problem may lie with someone other than its residents.

In trying to make sense of the two statements quoted, I found it hurt my head too much attempting to reconcile them.

Cookerhiker
03-20-2011, 19:35
The cover story (http://www.railstotrails.org/news/magazine/webExclusives/2011_Spring-Summer_SchuylkillRiverTrail.html) of latest issue of the Rails-to-Trails magazine features the partially complete Schuykill River rail-trail. When completed, it will run from Pottsville (Yuengling) to Philadelphia. Total distance is 125 miles.

Thruhikers or any hikers who'd like a break from hiking could cycle as far as they want as long as there's rentals available in Port Clinton. Maybe an infrastructure will develop. Of course, DC is only 60 miles from Harpers Ferry via the C&O Canal but I don't know if anyone in HF rents out bikes.

Unfortunately the stretch from Hamburg (Cabela's) to Reading is on roads and may not be acquired along the river for a long time. The old canal towpath is in private hands.

We'll see what develops.

emerald
03-20-2011, 19:56
An off-road route currently exists from Port Clinton to State Street in Hamburg. Someone who wants off at Cabela's should get off at Kernsville Dam trailhead and turn right on Industrial Drive. Take the same route to Tilden Ridge.

This thread should begin with a disclaimer since much of the information is dated. Incorrect claims about services at Hamburg is why I once linked ALDHA's Companion.

Elwha
04-17-2011, 20:18
Port Clinton, not so hiker friendly. Came to town for maildrop, missed po hours by 10min, had to stay and wait til monday morning. Went to the PC hotel, was not greeted well. Came into the bar area with my dry shoes and asked for a room, was talked down to like I was a child. Got a room it was clean, had fan, and cable tv. 10 dollar deposit for key and towel. Shower was nasty, wear your crocs. Peanut store is a must go to, very nice and friendly ladies that run it. They have every candy/ nut mix you can imagine. Bar staff became more friendly after I ordered 2 meals and some pints.

My advice, mail drop it, send your cleanest hiker into bar and get food and beer to go. Cabelas is down the road, call them ask for camping dept, explain you (and friends) need resupply, they will most likely send a van to pick you up. Port clinton is not a place to spend a lot of time or money. Just sharing my experience, hope it helps.

emerald
04-18-2011, 01:14
Port clinton is not a place to spend a lot of time or money.

That's right, take care of business, get back on the trail and keep hiking.

bert304
04-18-2011, 12:38
For those of you who don't know there is a new Walmart across the road from Cabelas and a WAWA will be opening soon right off RT61 on the between Port Clinton and Cabelas

Panzer1
04-18-2011, 13:16
Port Clinton is a good pace for a mail drop since the trail goes right past the post office. Which is fine as long as you arrive before the post office closes.:eek:

Panzer

Panzer1
04-18-2011, 13:19
Also, I have no sympathy for stinky hikers who have to be told to shower before being allowed to congregate with normal humans.
Its kind of pathetic that there has to be a rule that hikers must take a shower.

Panzer

Duff
04-18-2011, 13:41
Went thru in '09. The outfitter was limited in re-supply and not too helpful. They did have ice cream bars though!. Top O' Gothics bought a new pair of Vasque boots there and seemed to be happy. The hotel was full when I got there, though Stats and the others seemed to be having a good time at the bar; I only heard good things about the hotel. I walked on to Hamburg - that was a nightmare highway, narrow (made narrower by construction), high speeds and lots of trucks - to stay at the Microtel - pricey, but nice. Lots of people stayed at the Pavillion and seemed happy with that. The candy store is, however, not to be missed. Nice town, but probably will walk on past next time (with a quick candy stop).

Panzer1
04-18-2011, 16:52
Port Clinton should be viewed as a small trail town(only a 132 households in the town). It does not have everything a hiker needs but it has some things like post office, hotel, bar, restaurants, candy store, free pavilion to stay at and from time to time a few trail angles.

There are many many other services nearby in Hamburg that require a short trip by vehicle. don't try to walk the highway. its nuts.

Panzer

emerald
04-18-2011, 20:20
The outfitter was limited in re-supply and not too helpful.

If the post refers to Ye Olde Backpacker, readers should be advised it is no longer in business. Some may find the same applies to Cabela's, depending upon what they may wish to acquire.

emerald
04-18-2011, 20:27
Hikers should consult the current edition of one of the handbooks for current information about hiker services at this location. Quite a range of services are available and more are being added all the time.

DapperD
04-18-2011, 20:53
For those of you who don't know there is a new Walmart across the road from Cabelas and a WAWA will be opening soon right off RT61 on the between Port Clinton and CabelasGood to know. There also had been a previous thread about the Walmart coming to town:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58786

emerald
04-19-2011, 11:44
That was just another Walmart bashing thread that had little to do with Tilden Ridge and ended up getting transferred to a non-AT forum because of it.

If people want to actually learn anything about the Tilden Ridge store, they should read what Reading Eagle has published or go there.

ki0eh
03-18-2012, 08:40
I rode the rail-trail yesterday from Kernsville reservoir to the AT crossing (then I got to carry 3 bikes down the eroded steps and across the rail yard, fortunately short).

This is a new rail trail that crosses the AT just Trail-south of the rail yard (coming from town, need to climb up to it).

I observed a social trail from the rail trail (compass north side of rail trail underpass under PA 61) onto PA 61 west shoulder which would be a shorter and nicer walking approach to the greater Cabela's/Walmart/Wawa area than trying to walk the whole way on PA 61 especially over the PA 61 river bridge. The new rail trail and the social trail puts you out on the big road on the correct side of all of railroad, river, and road.

The PC Hotel has great food as advertised, the older couple behind the bar would look past you if you tried to pay at the wrong side of the bar but our waitress was friendly enough. The Peanut Shop (candy store) was pretty impressive, not sure how many hikers would be buying a 25# coconut cream Easter egg but they had it, they impressed my wife who makes confectionery by the carload lot.

I second/third the call to put a sticky post at the beginning of this thread as an alert to outdated/inaccurate information. Or, I'm not sure what happened to emerald but maybe he or another true local should call out posts by number that are superseded.

shelterbuilder
03-18-2012, 12:25
The rail-trail isn't really "new" (BMECC has had hikes on it for over a decade), but it doesn't get a lot of publicity. It's destined to be a part of the Schuylkill River Trail that will run from Philadelphia upstream to the Pottsville area (and beyond via a few spur-trails), but parts of the system have yet to be built.

I've been trying to get in touch with emerald for a few weeks now, but I fear the worst, as some of my research indicates that he may have died during the last year! The last post that WhiteBlaze listed for him was last September or October, and other sources indicate the possible existence of a death certificate. More on this later, as I have the chance to do some more digging around....

Don H
03-18-2012, 12:42
Port Clinton Hotel report;
Food is great.
Rooms suck. A double room means one double size bed.
Laundry room in the basement.
Next time I'll stay at the Microtel.

UnfamousK
04-16-2012, 16:01
Update: There is a walmart less than 2 miles from trail as well as Cabelas. Cabelas offers some shuttle services and the have a buffet on the weekends. The outfitter in town is closed. For the most part people are having bad experiences in PC because they are going to the wrong places. The PC hotel has good food, just not a pleasant dining room, order to go and go down to the PC Fire Company. Very friendly locals, very cheap alcohol, air conditioned, dont worry about the smell you will def exit smelling like smoke not sweat. The pavilion is pretty laid back. I live adjacent to fire company and often provide free shuttling to hamburg or the stores in tilden. Ive heard some horror stories from other residents tho. Please dont swim in our pools, especially in the middle of the night (many residents are avid gun enthusiasts). Dont beg for ciggarettes, the fire company sells them buy a pack.
Some friendlier places to stop:
Port Clinton Fire Company
Port CLinton Barber shop: Owner/operator Frank is very nice and will keep you gabbing about trail life and music for hours. Stop in on saturday afternoon for jam sessions and haircuts

Hawker
07-21-2012, 15:53
Jenn Pharr Davis writes about Port Clinton in her first book, Becoming Odyssa. It sort of reads like a Stephen King novel.

HikerMom58
05-02-2014, 09:23
Hey Y'all

Does anyone know anything about the Union House B&B in Port Clinton?

UnfamousK
06-09-2014, 15:43
Hey Y'all

Does anyone know anything about the Union House B&B in Port Clinton?
Union house is OK. Not my first recommendation for a hungry/thirsty hiker. There is a decent amount of restraunts within walking distance especially if you decide to use the bartram bailey trail.....PM me if anyone needs shuttle or advice
Local Resident Port Clintion hiker...

lemon b
06-09-2014, 17:30
Walked thru in 1980. Just stopped at PO for resupply from my support person and moved on. Everyone was nice even though I stunk.

xnav
06-10-2014, 10:49
I just finished a section hike from Duncannon to DWG in April. I used Port Clinton as my half way point for resupply, a shower, and town food. I give them excellent marks on all areas. Resupply - I used the post office for a mail drop and it worked perfectly and was right on the Trail. The mailman was friendly and helpful. I stayed one night at the Port Clinton Hotel. Its old and worn but they only charge $30 and everything was clean and comfortable. The food in their restaurant was good and as said before the French fries were stacked like Everest. Everyone sits at close quarters so I can understand the shower requirement. I used the laundry in the basement and it worked fine. They even sell powder in the bar. I have only talked about services so far but a town is about people and I did not meet one unfriendly or unhelpful person for my entire stop.

RED-DOG
06-10-2014, 11:18
Port Clinton is a awesome town, i have always stayed at the Pavillion, the Diner at the corner past the pavillion is a great place to have breakfast, the candy shop is a great place to get snacks for the trail, the AYCE buffet at Cabelas is AWESOME also cabelas is a great place to find Canisters for your stoves and other much needed items or a great place to go and hangout plus they will shuttle you back to Port Clinton, However the Hotel/Resturant ain't for **** they wouldn't even let me fill my water bottles at the outside spigot they are NOT hiker FRIENDLY.

rustmd
06-16-2014, 07:20
is there still tenting at the pavilion in port clinton? easy to find?

.com

rafe
06-16-2014, 08:22
I had a great lunch at the Port Clinton Hotel. Cheeseburger, a Yuengling or two, and a huge stack of french fries. It was a hot day in early August. I was the only client at the hotel bar. I did manage to get lost in the town first... don't ask me how. Sometimes I'm just oblivious.

Camping Outfitter
06-23-2014, 22:01
Just want to clear up a couple things regarding the Cabela's just south of Port Clinton. The shuttle service with the store's van is available as staffing permits. Weekends the van is often offsite supporting the staff at community, local outdoor and sportsmans events. It is often used to take groups to other stores for training, or help opening a new site. Sometimes away from the store for a week at a time, so the shuttle service can be spotty.
Also, please be aware that the deli hours in the store have been cut back quite a bit due to all the other offering now available near the store. Only opens late morning and closes early evenings. The AYCE buffet has also been discontinued as a result of very limited patrons.
As far as supplies, Mountain House and Backpackers meals are carried. Water fitration and purrification products from several manufacturers. Unfortunately we do not carry the Aquamira drops, but I'm pushing our buyers to add them to our assortment.
Sea to Summit products, Black Diamond staffs, isobutane fuel, MSR stoves, Jetboil stoves, GSI products, bug juice, the very much in demand mosquito headnets, etc, etc,.
We tried some lighter weight gear; ie tents and sleeping bags, but there just was not much demand. Selling 10 or 12 lightweight tents in a year ain't gonna pay the bills.
If you look at it realistically, we get 10,000 novice campers looking for gear for every 1 thru hiker. It is what it is.
It took a couple years of pleading for me to get the trail maps. I now try to carry Georgia to Maine, but do occasionally sell out of some. We have a few on staff that do section hike the trail and backpack and kayak/canoe camp on a regular basis. We use the product we sell and a lot we don't sell! Please understand that some of the staff don't understand what months or even a week on the trail requires. Also know that I try to make it clear to my Outfitters in Camping that they shall give thru hikers the utmost respect you deserve! If you have walked 1,200 miles and enter our store, I will do everything I an to help you find what you need whether it be at Cabela's or anywhere else nearby!

Bags4266
06-23-2014, 22:20
Well said, cabelas!

rocketsocks
06-23-2014, 22:24
Well , I like the jernt.