PDA

View Full Version : Questions re setting up HH ULB Asym

aburnce
07-18-2006, 13:53
Just got mine, having problems with my test run:

1. Couldn't get tree diameters less than about 14". Webbing fit around only one wrap, with some slack. On the other tree, diameter of about 11" allowed me to wrap 1.5 times, with the loops at about 3:30 and 8:30. Had to run the rope through these across the front of the tree, and then couldn't figure out how I was supposed to lash it. I improvised something but didn't feel great about it holding through a night.

2. Once I lashed both sides and got in, then moved around a bit, I slid quickly to the ground. Got out to relash one side, but had to completely undo and redo it. And was still not able to get it tensioned enough, at least at the height I needed. (I'm about 5'6".)

3. Couldn't figure out if I had the elastic pullouts staked properly. Seemed ok, but when I was inside the hammock, it seemed too curved and too narrow. Lying on side was tricky, and on stomach curved my back a lot. Am I doing something wrong?

4. Any other tricks I'm missing?

Thanks! I'd like to use the hammock but don't feel comfortable with it in real conditions yet.

Alan

Ender
07-18-2006, 14:11
Just got mine, having problems with my test run:

1. Couldn't get tree diameters less than about 14". Webbing fit around only one wrap, with some slack. On the other tree, diameter of about 11" allowed me to wrap 1.5 times, with the loops at about 3:30 and 8:30. Had to run the rope through these across the front of the tree, and then couldn't figure out how I was supposed to lash it. I improvised something but didn't feel great about it holding through a night.

2. Once I lashed both sides and got in, then moved around a bit, I slid quickly to the ground. Got out to relash one side, but had to completely undo and redo it. And was still not able to get it tensioned enough, at least at the height I needed. (I'm about 5'6".)

3. Couldn't figure out if I had the elastic pullouts staked properly. Seemed ok, but when I was inside the hammock, it seemed too curved and too narrow. Lying on side was tricky, and on stomach curved my back a lot. Am I doing something wrong?

4. Any other tricks I'm missing?

Thanks! I'd like to use the hammock but don't feel comfortable with it in real conditions yet.

Alan

1. Slack is fine. The tension of the hammock will keep you up in the air. No worries.

2. One trick I use is to set up, get in, let it all settle, then get out and tighten up the knots. After that, I'm usually set.

3. Doesn't sound like it. Just try to get more diagonal inside the hammock. There's always going to be some curve, so you may or may not be comfortable sleeping on your stomach. As far as the tieouts, that doesn't matter too much.

4. Just play with it. It takes a little practice, but once you get to know it, you'll love it. I had pretty much the same issues when I first got mine, and now it's my favorite shelter.

Have fun!

blackbishop351
07-18-2006, 14:17
I've found the tree huggers work better when wrapped at least twice. If you can't find trees small enough for the stock straps, buy or make longer ones. There's a lot of good posts here on the subject.

Once that's solved, the easiest way I've found to tie the lashing is to use a 'biner. I clip the huggers together, then lash to the 'biner. I know, I know, all you ultralight guys hate extra ounces. IMHO, though, it really makes it easier.

Also, I'm taking my ULB out again this weekend, and I'm going to try another idea I got from Turk. Instead of making both ends adjustable, a guy could tie permanent loops (directional figure 8's work well) into the foot-end support line. You really wouldn't sacrifice much this way, because you want the foot-end higher than the head-end anyway. If you use 'biners, you can just clip into the appropriate loop for your hanging distance. Then you only have to tension on one end and tie one lashing.

That being said, try a few different suggestions and pick the one you like the best. That's what I think most hangers on here have done.

As far as the Asym tie-outs, I haven't had the problems you're describing. Maybe you're laying too close to the centerline, though? You might try laying more on the diagonal. I've read on here that it has a lot to do with how much sag you let the hammock have, too.

Hope this helps!

hammock engineer
07-18-2006, 14:34
The tree huggers should not be an issue. Like said above, as long as there is tension. There is going to be a lot of stretch the first few times you use the hammock. It will go away. I usually get in my hammock and move around a little, then get out and retighten one side.

The problem with the side tie outs may be caused be the extra sag with you in it. The tie outs will not be tight after you get in it.

I switched from ropes and tree huggers to just straps. IMHO it works a lot easier: easier knot, 2 less parts, and not having to worry about tree diameter.

peter_pan
07-18-2006, 18:11
Hammocking is a lot like sex.... the more you do it, the better it gets...

Technique take some time and effort....If it is not quite what you expected, try a few adjustments...

If you want spacousness tie the HH tie outs as far out as possible...tnsion the elastic cords by at least 70 percent to keep the bug net taut.

Pan

Fiddleback
07-18-2006, 18:16
The Hennessy lashing is incredibly simple, efficient, and fast...once you know how. Duh. See the video at, http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hknot.htm

While others use different tyings or additional parts I never felt the need...YMMV.

I think you can successfully tie up a Hennessy without having the tree huggers wrap around the tree trunk multiple times. Good thing too...our ponderosa pines get kind of big out here...:)

FB

jazilla
07-19-2006, 08:14
The Hennessey lashing is simple. Shane's website has it animated. But all you have to remember is over under over through. It makes a figure 8. I'm not knot savvy but it is simple once you learn it.