PDA

View Full Version : Slack Packing

ZEKE #2
07-18-2006, 14:29
When a hiker "slack packs" what essentials does one take with them and what do they carry them in?

I would think, depending on the section of the trail that you are hiking, you would need water, food, raingear (?)...

bfitz
07-18-2006, 14:31
Headlamp!!!!

Alligator
07-18-2006, 14:41
The 10 essentials would be a good place to start. I ran into some slackpackers recently though, and they were carrying at most food, water, and a rain jacket. In fact, I was able to tell they were slackpacking because they looked like thrus and they were carrying next to nothing. (Ok, maybe they had a few other things in their pockets.)

Footslogger
07-18-2006, 14:56
[quote=ZEKE #2]When a hiker "slack packs" what essentials does one take with them and what do they carry them in?
===================================
Everything you'll need or think you might need for the number of hours being hiked. Ironically, slackpacking rarely if ever allows me to cover a lot more miles than I normally would. The big difference is that you're not hauling your full load of gear/clothing.

That said ...anything can happen when you're out there, whether you're carrying your full pack or a daypack. Take plenty of snacks. Include a warm jacket or shirt/raingear if you're hiking where/when the temps are likely to change a lot. Throw in your first aid kit and some TP. As already mentioned, include your headlamp in case you end up hiking out in the dark. Last but not least, take a large capacity water bladder or multiple small water containers and whatever you'll need to filter/purify your water.

SGT Rock
07-18-2006, 14:58
I think Ms Janet can tell some stories about thrus slack packing and it taking them longer to do a section than they thought. I think that is why she offers to loan some old book bags and such there so you can carry a few items.

Alligator
07-18-2006, 15:29
I think Ms Janet can tell some stories about thrus slack packing and it taking them longer to do a section than they thought. I think that is why she offers to loan some old book bags and such there so you can carry a few items.As a matter of fact, two of the slackpackers I ran into were behind schedule.

The Solemates
07-18-2006, 15:29
I wasn't slackpacking, but I spent this past weekend in the Smokies with only these things:

Camelbak bladder-backpack (about 1000 cu in., excluding the water bladder)
100 oz. Camelbak water bladder
30 deg sleeping bag
3/4 ZRest
small pot
rain jacket
TP
bug dope
iodine
enough food for the weekend
the clothes i was wearing

It was awesome; Ive never traveled so light. My whole pack weighed less than 10 lbs.

Two Speed
07-18-2006, 15:32
Gonna have to change your trail name to "Wolf 23001." ;)

Skidsteer
07-18-2006, 17:01
I wasn't slackpacking, but I spent this past weekend in the Smokies with only these things...

What did you cook with? A cookfire?

jazilla
07-18-2006, 17:15
What the heck is slack packing?

Alligator
07-18-2006, 17:19
What the heck is slack packing?It's when a hiker who normally carries a full pack instead hikes a section with less than the full load. Like dayhiking. Someone may drop the hikers pack X miles ahead or the hiker may return to a home base.

StarLyte
07-18-2006, 17:22
It's when a hiker who normally carries a full pack instead hikes a section with less than the full load. Like dayhiking. Someone may drop the hikers pack X miles ahead or the hiker may return to a home base.

what's dayhiking?
:D

Alligator
07-18-2006, 17:35
what's dayhiking?
:DIt's when you don't carry a full overnight pack on the trail as you don't have any plans to overnight. It's a bit like slackpacking;) .

StarLyte
07-18-2006, 17:38
It's when you don't carry a full overnight pack on the trail as you don't have any plans to overnight. It's a bit like slackpacking;) .

Alligator-
I was being sarcastic but funny.
Now I have to apologize.
Unless that little blue winkly face knew.
M

Alligator
07-18-2006, 17:52
Alligator-
I was being sarcastic but funny.
Now I have to apologize.
Unless that little blue winkly face knew.
MNo need to apologize. I'm vaguely familiar with the use of sarcasm.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=103894&highlight=sarcasm#post103894

FLHiker
07-18-2006, 17:55
What's Hiking?

Alligator
07-18-2006, 18:00
What's Hiking?Hiking is a form of recreation where participants travel to natural settings to put one foot in front of the other. Like walking.

FLHiker
07-18-2006, 18:02
oh,

Cool

berninbush
07-18-2006, 18:03
Before someone asks.... walking is the process of moving oneself forward by constantly falling... with style. And catching oneself with one's feet.

Alligator
07-18-2006, 18:06
I'm glad you answered BB because I was chewing gum.

FLHiker
07-18-2006, 18:09
Sorry, it took me so long -

I just fell down.

StarLyte
07-18-2006, 18:11
I'm glad you answered BB because I was chewing gum.

and why are you chewing gum now?

hopefulhiker
07-18-2006, 20:07
I did a lot of slack packing on my thru hike last year. I carried the front pack of the luxury lite system as a backpack.. I became addicted to slackpacking as long as I could get a ride cheap or free. I carried water, light, lunch, snacks, map, compass, data sheet, TP, frog toggs jacket, aqua mira, small sitting pad, and camera. One time I carried my stove and some fuel for a hot cup of something for lunch.

Alligator
07-18-2006, 21:40
and why are you chewing gum now?I was chewing gum. I can't answer questions about walking while chewing gum:p .

trailangelmary
07-19-2006, 02:01
Hiking is a form of recreation where participants travel to natural settings to put one foot in front of the other. Like walking.

Before someone asks.... walking is the process of moving oneself forward by constantly falling... with style. And catching oneself with one's feet.

Awesome descriptions! Great sense of humor! Love it!

neighbor dave
07-19-2006, 07:32
:-? Slackers!!!!!!:d

Footslogger
07-19-2006, 08:33
:-? Slackers!!!!!!:d
===================
You Rang ??????????

'Slogger

berninbush
07-19-2006, 10:33
:D

Kidding aside... this thread did start with a serious question, and I'm curious to hear more people answer it. What are the "bare necessities" for slackpacking? Does your answer change depending on your location and the time of year? (I would think rain gear/ warm gear more essential in cold climates, and extra water more essential in hot climates, for example.)

I guess the question could be rephrased, what do you consider essential for a day hike, in case of emergency?

bigcranky
07-19-2006, 15:04
Dayhike or slackpack: water, water treatment, lunch, snacks, headlamp, small first aid kit, rain shell, warm layer (depends on weather), knife, map and guidebook pages (depends on section), warm hat, gloves, sunglasses.

Looking at this list, it's pretty much the 'ten essentials.' In cold weather I would bring a stove and a small pot, and something hot to drink. I would also bring more warm clothing, and perhaps a bivy sack just in case.

berninbush
07-19-2006, 15:37
I'm sure those are all good things to have. But I'm thinking about the overnight hike I did back in April, here in coastal Texas.

I brought water, but no water treatment. Treatment wouldn't have done me much good; I met another hiker with a pump, and he was having trouble finding "water" that wasn't pond scum to treat.

I didn't have a first aid kit. Bad, I know.

My only rain gear was a Walmart emergency poncho. It didn't rain. The poncho still hasn't been out of its bag.

I didn't bring a knife, or a pot.

I did not have a map, guidebook, or compass. I looked at the map at the ranger station before I set out to have a general idea of where I was going.

I should have brought warmer clothing to sleep in, as I was uncomfortably cold. But not in danger of dying of hypothermia.

I never wear sunglasses.

Apart from the clothing, and perhaps a map, I didn't miss any of these things. Some of them I should have had in case of emergencies... but you could hike a long time and not really need them. And a lot of it depends on where you are, weather conditions, etc. This area won't get below freezing in April (probably nowhere close). I was in a relatively small wilderness area, never more than a few miles from well-travelled roads. For a day hike, I think the only thing I'd consider "essential" would be water.

But I'd have a whole different mindset for remote mountain areas where I was less familiar with the terrain.

bigcranky
07-19-2006, 15:57
But I'd have a whole different mindset for remote mountain areas where I was less familiar with the terrain.

Right, and that's what I thought we were taking about. BTW, didn't you bring any food on your Texas overnighter?

berninbush
07-19-2006, 16:12
Yep, I brought food, just no pots.

And my apologies, this thread probably should be limited to slackpacking/ day hiking on the Appalachian trail since it's in that area of the forum. The need for rain gear and warm clothing is definitely a higher priority in that case.

But I still wouldn't bring sunglasses. Just a personal preference. As for stuff like first aid kid and water treatment... I would plan on carrying enough water with me for a day hike, so water treatment would be in case I got lost or had an emergency. If I felt comfortable in the area, I'm not sure I'd bother. A lot depends on what level of risk you're comfortable with vs. how little weight you want to carry.

bigcranky
07-19-2006, 21:33
Even dayhiking or slackpacking, I carry water treatment because I don't want to carry all the water I would need on a long day. Aqua Mira weighs a lot less than an extra liter of water. On the trail I usually start with 1.5 liters, and get more as I need it.

A lot of my hiking is in winter, and/or along the southern balds here in North Carolina. I like having my sunglasses....