PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for 2 person tent

Mouse Poo
07-18-2006, 22:10
I am a newbie to overnight backpacking. My son and I are doing a section of the AT and need a light 2 person tent that could also be used in the future to fit my 6' tall husband and myself. I'd prefer to keep the weight at or under 4 lbs. Cost is also an issue. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

sliderule
07-18-2006, 22:19
Golite Den. Light, simple to set up, efficient use of space. The "back porch" is great for storing your boots or shoes.

DrewNC2005
07-18-2006, 22:47
Try the new Tarptent Double Rainbow - looks awesome! I have another Tarptent and can attest to its high quality and superior workmanship!

MedicineMan
07-18-2006, 23:09
been using one albeit rarely for several years....its advantage is as mentioned above-quick/easy setup and price....last time i was in mine was just north of Checoah Gap and woke up to 4.6F, that was before evolving into the hammock....
the Double Rainbow will change the world of lightweight 2 man tents...will be taking it to Kings Canyon in 3 weeks...only down is the price but is it that expensive compared to everything else?

Whiskyjo
07-18-2006, 23:20
My wife and I use the REI Quarter Dome, Im 6ft 1in and that is the limit for this tent but its freestanding, double wall, total pack weight of 4 pounds, with two doors and two vestibules.Its a good tent for us.

Peaks
07-19-2006, 07:47
There are lots of different tents out there. Best suggestion is to go to your local outfitter and try on some tents.

One basic tent that has been popular for a number of years is the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. However, may be a little short for 6 footer (try it on first).

If your budget is limited, you might check out the Eureka Timberline. It has been popular for over 25 years. Good for the occasional backpacker. But you will probably want something lighter.

bigcranky
07-19-2006, 08:14
Some of the most popular gear among long-distance hikers isn't available at the local outfitter store. (That's because it's made in someone's garage and sold on-line.) Take a look at www.tarptent.com and check out the Squall, the Rainshadow, and the 2-person Rainbow. All of these are available with a floor and bug netting, and are extremely light weight and moderate in cost.

I like our Rainshadow, which is a 3-person tarptent that weighs 38 ounces. It really does hold three adults, one of them 6-2, 200# (me), and it's a palace for two hikers and all their gear.

Good luck, and Happy Trails.

Footslogger
07-19-2006, 08:31
[quote=bigcranky]Some of the most popular gear among long-distance hikers isn't available at the local outfitter store. (That's because it's made in someone's garage and sold on-line.) Take a look at www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com) and check out the Squall, the Rainshadow, and the 2-person Rainbow. All of these are available with a floor and bug netting, and are extremely light weight and moderate in cost.
============================
I agree ...for taller hikers the Squall and Rainshadow would likely be a good consideration. We own the Squall and there is a lot of room left over at the foot end of the tent.

'Slogger

Mouse Poo
07-19-2006, 11:19
I think we're going to go with the REI quarter dome. I'd love to try the tarptents but unfortunately the trip is on Friday so there isn't time for shipping. Thanks again.

Toolshed
07-19-2006, 12:26
Moose Poo - I think you made a good choice. If you decide you like BPing enough to want to invest $$$$ in really good/ultralight gear, you can always do so and your son can always inherit the REI QD.

Problem around here sometimes is that folks might not remember what it's like starting out and trying to digest all this overwhelming info. As you come along you can really start to determine yourn needs and desires and what you want or dislike, but for now, I don' think you can go wrong with the QD and REI's money back policy.
Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Rick

snarbles
07-20-2006, 03:27
Tarptent Double Rainbow

headchange4u
07-20-2006, 10:55
I love my Marmot Twilght 2P (http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=tents&subcat=1&style_id=H2715). It has 2 doors and each person has their own big vestibule. Not the lightest of tents-5lbs. total weight or 3lbs bare-bones setup (need ground cloth).

MedicineMan
07-23-2006, 13:06
The Double Rainbow arrived as/when promised....have spent 2 sessions setting it up....one mode staking it down and the other using hiking poles-either way its still a 2-3 min job depending on how fast you can insert the pole.....
I'm 6'1" and I could wear a 10gallon cowboy hat sitting in this tent.
The storage mesh bags for whatever are a nice touch.
I was thinking at first the inner clips were for a mini-lanter of some kind/flashlight held high, then realized they are probably for the optional inner wall to come...still nice for over head lighting.
The bathtub floor is a sweet surprise because you dont notice the mesh that connects to the tent body completely surrounding/protecting you from bugs who might try to come in from the side.
Vestibules (yes two of them) are good because each hiker has his one spot for gear,cooking,entrance,exiting....the ventilation holes with wire shroud are nice and remind me of the design used in the Akto.

What I'm wondering Henry,,,,,this is not advertised as a 4 season tent, but the construction and stake out method seem very very stout, what prevents this tent from taking a snow load?

Room-Shaka and I got in and laid out--plenty of room, she had just returned from 6 days of backpacking in Colorado where the team shared 3 man tents, she said much more room for 2 in the DR!

For me tents are a last resort but this tent will make you want to use it...2.5 pounds and i'm studing a Fibraplex pole to save 2 ounces, the stakes provided are sizeable BUT light and STOUT...I would keep them versus subbing out titanium..another shocker on this tent/design/accessories.

Rate 15 with 10 being highest.

We took pics of the process, if any want them posted let me know.

Heater
07-23-2006, 13:20
We took pics of the process, if any want them posted let me know.

Can't wait to get one this Winter! Right now kayaking is eating up my expendable cash! :eek: :D :D

Please, post pics! :sun