PDA

View Full Version : A bit of wisdom about identity

icemanat95
07-19-2006, 00:21
I recently received this bit of wisdom from my sensei on maintaining personal identity, center and life-focus while following an unusual (for the modern world) path. Carl Long holds a 6th dan in Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu, 7th dan in Shorin ryu karate, 6th dan in ****o Ryu karate, 4th dan in Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo, 5th dan in Okinawan Kobudo, and a numbewr of other dan ranks in Aikido, Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu and other classical Japanese martial arts. He holds the rank of Renshi (or "master instructor") and is my teacher's teacher. He has studied budo (martial ways) for almost 40 years now.

The following is in response to some dialogue from a student about the various changes he has gone through recently with a career change, that at 54 years of age, has put him back at the ground floor of a new career field. While he is speaking specifically of a life in pursuit of martial art, I think this goes equally well for people who spend their lives in pursuit of the outdoor life or any other much-loved vocation.

Every morning for past 38 years I have looked in the mirror and reminded myself that I am a budoka. Over the years that one act has redefined who I see in the mirror. My understanding of that person has deepened but not changed. I now realize that when I think of myself as a budoka that there are a miriad of other identities that go along with that. I am a martial arts teacher, a husband, a father and a friend. Every day that has followed that ritual act of confirmation in the mirror has been different. There have never been two days that were identical. But who I am has always remained the same. I have taught school, been a police officer, played in bands, dug ditches, exterminated insects and run a large company among many other things. All of these activities/vocations, and thats how I see them, were a means for me to continue to pursue the mission that I have set out for myself. It has not been easy for me as a "much too proud" person to accept the sideways snickers and glances I have received over the years for some of the "menial" jobs I have had to maintain in order to support my family. But ultimately, I am still doing the one thing that has always defined me.

I am a budoka.

I have sometimes been able to make a meager living from it, I have most often had to supplement it with unpleasant jobs that others would not want to do. But it was and is what is necessary to be who I believe that I am. A job is a job. My identity is something completely different. All of those supplemental incomes have allowed me the freedom to pursue the one thing that is most important to me, what I believe is my mission and purpose here this time around. It has not come without pain and heartache (mostly my family's). Usually due to my self pity and having lost sight of the path and any progress that I may have made. Unfortunately, I have found that blazing a trail in our lives does not mean that the journey will be a direct straight forward path. To the contrary, it's been a sojourn of endless deadends, regrouping, exploration, countless times of two steps forward and five steps back. I cannot begin to express how lonely I have felt at times. Even the people who know me best have often appeared to me as total strangers in their lack of understanding of what I have been trying to accomplish. I now believe that it was foolish of me to expect them to do so. Most of us have an all too heavy burden in trying to know ourselves. How can we possibly know the true passions of another?

Blue Jay
07-19-2006, 07:17
My sensei is a feral cat who dosen't talk much.

Lone Wolf
07-19-2006, 07:19
*** is a budoka?

I am Hiker Trash.:D

neighbor dave
07-19-2006, 07:26
:-? and i thought sensei was the stuff i've been smokin' everytime i go to hawaii!!:jump :D

frieden
07-19-2006, 07:34
*** is a budoka?

Well, if "budo" means "martial ways", than "budoka" means student/master/teacher of martial ways?

Anyway, it was nicely written. It's too easy to take the identity that your current job gives you. It can be a depressing trap. Thank you for sharing this, Iceman.

Lone Wolf
07-19-2006, 07:36
I have no job hence no identity. I am not depressed.
I am a grasshopper.

StarLyte
07-19-2006, 07:37
*** is a budoka?

ha ha
I am his wife.

Newb
07-19-2006, 07:50
Every morning I look in the mirror and squeeze a blackhead.

corentin
07-19-2006, 08:46
Thank you for posting this passage. I find it timely.

Toolshed
07-19-2006, 12:34
Nice Passage Iceman. My previous sensei (Shihan Parker 7th Dan-Tatsu Do/Goshin Ryu) sounds a lot like your sensei!!

icemanat95
07-19-2006, 12:50
A budoka is a follower of martial ways or a practitioner of martial arts...primarily Japanese arts like Aikido, Kendo, Kenjutsu, Iaido and iaijutsu, kobudo (staff and other "civilian" weapons), ju-jutsu, ludo (to a lesser extent), kyudo (archery), and a number of other things. I personally study Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu under Long Renshi's supervision, as well as Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo/jojutsu and a little bit of Sei Shorei Kosho Ryu Kempo.

To be a budoka is a lot like being hiker trash in that the budoka orients his or her life around budo, just as hiker trash orient their lives around hiking, commiting themselves to it with a high level of dedication to the point of sacrificing other things in their lives to make room for their budo (or hiking).

TOW
07-19-2006, 15:45
well, well, well...............and i never quit learning.........i liked what that guy had to say...........i'm not depressed but have had some depressing moments lately..........it doesn't matter who we are, or what we do in this life, what matters is to be able to look into that mirror and be able to face yourself head on and learn about yourself on a daily basis........i doon't always like what i see in myself, but today i know who i am, and i know i have a purpose......

D'Artagnan
07-19-2006, 16:25
Sadly, some people live their entire lives and never really discover who they are. Those who have are fortunate indeed.

icemanat95
07-19-2006, 20:48
Sometimes I think its not so much about discovering who you are as just making a bleeding choice and commiting to it.

So many people float through life looking for "something better" not realizing that the path to something better is in your head and heart.

TOW
07-19-2006, 20:58
Sometimes I think its not so much about discovering who you are as just making a bleeding choice and commiting to it.

So many people float through life looking for "something better" not realizing that the path to something better is in your head and heart.that sure is a mouthful of truth...........

ed bell
07-19-2006, 21:04
So many people float through life looking for "something better" not realizing that the path to something better is in your head and heart. Very uplifting message, iceman. Thanks for your post.:sun

K0OPG
07-19-2006, 21:53
Those that make things happen.:)

Those that watch things happen.:eek:

Those that wonder what has happend.:confused:

I try to be in the first group. I work with (and under) those in the other two groups.

Mountain Man
07-19-2006, 22:41

So many people float through life looking for "something better" not realizing that the path to something better is in your head and heart.

Very wel said - As a young man I always wanted to work in Outdoor Recreation but ended a Truck Driver for 25 years. All the while still wishing I had followed my dreams and thinking it was too late. Then about four years ago I made a commitment to myself to make it happen. I couldn't be any happier now doing what I love. Wasn't nothing wrong with being a Truck Driver I made good money but it just wasn't what I wanted to do the rest of my life. Yeah it was like starting all over in a new career at 43 years old and the money wasn't always good either but I was and am happy. You can set around all your life wishing for something to happen but till you make a choice and commit to it more than likely nothing will happen.

Like the old saying "where there is a will there is a way"!!!

weary
07-19-2006, 23:17

Having lived through World War II I'm not much into martial arts, especially Japanese martial arts.

But I believe life is most happy among those people who through study or luck find something that they both enjoy doing and that serves their friends and neighbors -- and maybe even future generations.

For me, that search led to things that will outlive me -- like the 2,000 acres of public land in my town that I've had a hand in preserving or in inspiring others to its preservation -- or the several thousands of acres I've worked to acquire that provide buffers for the Appalachian trail.

I'll never know whether the pursuit of martial arts would have been a better choice, but during these final days I sense a marvelous sense of accomplishment as I walk the lands I've preserved and the trails I've built.

Weary

icemanat95
07-20-2006, 09:21
Weary,

Budo is only one of many, many paths. Considering your experiences, it likely would not have been a good path for you. You found the path for you, and can rest assured that your efforts achieved something noble and worthy.

chief
07-20-2006, 17:38
I suppose, for some of us, the path to contentment is in our deeds, for others, it's in the constant reminders of our deeds, lest the unwashed masses forget.

weary
07-20-2006, 19:51
I suppose, for some of us, the path to contentment is in our deeds, for others, it's in the constant reminders of our deeds, lest the unwashed masses forget.
Ah chief. Thanks for your interest. I'm presently working on two projects -- protection of the high peaks region of Maine, and working to prevent a major industrial development in the view of 50 miles of the trail.

You -- and all White Blazers -- are welcome to help.

To contribute to the high peaks effort just open:

www.matlt.org

To keep industry out of the viewshed of one of the wildest sections of the entire trail, open:

www.matc.org

Weary

Big Dawg
07-20-2006, 22:14
*** is a budoka?

You have heard of google, right? :D

RadioFreq
07-21-2006, 14:55
Every morning I look in the mirror and squeeze a blackhead.

Every morning I look in the mirror and see my father. :eek:

blindeye
07-21-2006, 19:59
obviously beer and pretzels are not the way!

mweinstone
07-21-2006, 20:06
you are just asking for funny responses.its like you snorted a pound of meth and started blabbin.

corentin
07-21-2006, 22:49
you are just asking for funny responses.its like you snorted a pound of meth and started blabbin.

That is truly hysterical, considering the source.

skeeterfeeder
07-22-2006, 00:42
Iceman, thanks for sharing a powerful message . The power is not so much in the message but in its timing. I needed to be reminded again today.