PDA

View Full Version : For the food soakers..

onicoe
07-19-2006, 10:49
if you're not planning on using a stove, what sortof container do you use to soak your food in? i know ziplocs are popular, but i have a deep seeded mistrust in plastic baggie full of food & water.

also, what size container do you use, in terms of how many cups/oz will it hold?

jlb2012
07-19-2006, 10:56
well there is always the lemonade bowl - see Sgt Rock's site: http://hikinghq.net/gear/lemonade_bowl.html

onicoe
07-19-2006, 22:50
that's pretty nifty

Skidsteer
07-19-2006, 22:57
if you're not planning on using a stove, what sortof container do you use to soak your food in?

Freezer baggers generally do use a stove. We just don't cook food in our pots. Inherent laziness, I suppose. :sun

Seeker
07-19-2006, 23:06
well there is always the lemonade bowl - see Sgt Rock's site: http://hikinghq.net/gear/lemonade_bowl.html

a gatorade drink mix/powder container will work too. the lid's not as versatile as the koolaid one though. you can definitely fit a single meal in one.

SGT Rock
07-20-2006, 07:08
I started with a Gatorade jar on my 2000 Pinhoti thru-hike after I lost my coffee mug. It was cool because of that accordion shape which actually made for good measuring markers too. I think each was like 2 ounces. But the issue I had with it was all those curves made it hard to clean with a messy meal.

The Country Time, Koolaid, and other mixes have less spaces to get dirty inside and the cap is a cup, and usually has three marking points already provided, so you can guesstimate most measurements accurately enough for backpacking cooking (like making instant pudding). The cup is good for two packs of oatmeal or grits while the body is my coffee mug with a nice cozy. I make a new once for most deployments too, right now there is one in my hooch. It is also great for boil and bag style cooking since you don't need the bags, you can just heat the water and put it in the bowl with cozy and close it up. Your pot stays clean and your Koolaid bowl is easy to clean up.

sarbar
07-20-2006, 10:17
Freezer baggers generally do use a stove. We just don't cook food in our pots. Inherent laziness, I suppose. :sun
You got that right ;) Less cleanup and all that jazz. Though I (the lazy queen of FB cooking) has been know to use her Oriska plates to "cook" in (ie, pour the water in, stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes. I only do that if I have a stream nearby for cleanup though. Usually we dry camp, so that is my main reason for bagging it.