PDA

View Full Version : Trail conditon Water

jgreene
07-19-2006, 11:22
Anyone been from dennis cove to Damascus lately? Is there water at Vandeventer Shelter, etc, Thanks

Deerleg
07-19-2006, 11:47
I have not been on that part of the trail this year but did spend a little time in the area earlier in the summer and rain has been plentiful. I walked that section a couple of years ago and I recall lots of springs. My guess is water should not be e a problem, but maybe someone else who's been on it recently can give more info.

How about the Maryland section? Same question. I am going to walk that section over the weekend if anyone has been on it recently and can fill me in that would be great.

StarLyte
07-19-2006, 12:28
I have not been on that part of the trail this year but did spend a little time in the area earlier in the summer and rain has been plentiful. I walked that section a couple of years ago and I recall lots of springs. My guess is water should not be e a problem, but maybe someone else who's been on it recently can give more info.

How about the Maryland section? Same question. I am going to walk that section over the weekend if anyone has been on it recently and can fill me in that would be great.

Deerleg-
Sorry to change this thread temporarily - but I pass thru your town frequently. I'm always on I-77 heading south from Cleveland and instead of driving thru Akron, I take Rt. 21 southbound, then connect back onto I-77 south in New Philadelphia. I love driving thru there!
Just wanted to connect with another North Ohioan.

Back to your thread--

Alligator
07-19-2006, 13:15
I was in No. Maryland last Friday, no problems at all with water. In fact, overflowing quite a bit at the Pogo campsite.

The water is waaaay down at Vanderventer, although it may have been a bit dry the year I went through. It wasn't a drought though. I would skip this shelter if you can.

Deerleg
07-20-2006, 06:30
Deerleg-
Sorry to change this thread temporarily - but I pass thru your town frequently. I'm always on I-77 heading south from Cleveland and instead of driving thru Akron, I take Rt. 21 southbound, then connect back onto I-77 south in New Philadelphia. I love driving thru there!
Just wanted to connect with another North Ohioan.

Back to your thread--

I can hear 21 from my house. I work in Cleveland a lot and when I get the chance hike in the CV national park. We are lucky to have it so close. WE like company so stop and say hi on your next trip south.

Lilred
07-20-2006, 07:50
There is no water source at Vandeventer. If you're headed northbound, the water is about a mile south of the shelter if I'm not mistaken. The spring was pretty small when I went through in June. That whole area from Watauga Lake to Vandeventer has few water sources. Check Wingfoot for water if you are going southbound as to where, before Vandeventer, to get it.

jgreene
07-20-2006, 09:48
Thansk, I'll plan accordingly. i love this web site and the info i get Thanks