PDA

View Full Version : hi hikers

undergroundnathan
07-19-2006, 15:56
Hi every body,I dont mind giving my e mail out, [email protected] ,and I would apreciate any pictures of me and other hikers I know and dont know that have wrote me.My addresse is P.O.BOX 2751 la crosse WI 54601.Nathan baney. dont have much time right now. hey one leg, miss you to. sicerly underground.

undergroundnathan
07-19-2006, 19:41
Hello every body. I started In febuary this year,It was cold,but that wasent the hardest thing about winter hiking I found.It was the long nights,getting dark at six or seven at night and daylight about the same time the next day.Twelve hours or so In the tent or the shelter,I can sleep seven or eight hours,so I was either awake till ten or eleven at night or up at four in the mourning,that was tough for me,Its hard for me to sit still for a long time. well one of the hikers I hiked with this year was maniac and his family,they were section hikers,hiking from amicola falls to fontana dam.hiking with his wife and her sister his two boys four years old and five years old and a freind.I was with them off and on and about a whole week till the dam.The two boys hiked on there own for the whole trip as little as they were.Maniac had hiked the whole trail by him self twice,once as a regular hike,and once as a speed hike,which hey did some years ago when no one was doing it. well when I hurt my foot befor erwin tennesee,Maniac asked Me to come to maine to visit.So from miss janets I took a bus to maine in early april,I ended up on the ocean in asmall fishing and resort community.I spent six weeks there working at a campground,maine is a beutiful state.I got stir crazy and I wasent making much money.SO I packed up and headed to katadin on the twenty fifth of may,I beleave.I didnt climb katadin It was closed do to snow I was told.So I went on to abol bridge,acrosse from the store was a camp ground and now I was surprised to find a newly built shelter,Ive been to katadin three times now.It was raining and I had walked five miles,so I was glad to see the shelter.The next day I got up early and went over to the store,I got acup of coffe and talked to the locals and fisherman their for an hour or so then I started south bound,I made it to the first shelter and I took a rest,thats when daved a section hiker showed up with his dog.He was hiking for three or four weeks The water was high and it was hard to find a place to cross.I went first,I almost fell In,I helped david cross with his dog.He said he was going on to the next shelter.I hiked with him for a ways still he got ahead of me ,I thought I wouldnt see him again for I was a slower hiker.THe sceinery was beutifull that day,I couldnt beleive it ,I made it to the shelter befor dark.Oh no the river was overflowing,THere was david He yelled your going to get wet,It sure looks like it I yelled back.So I striped down to my underware,DAM it sure was cold,I crossed it barefooted but I made it.David ended up being a real nice guy,We talked for a few hours then we went to sleep.The next mourning we took a couple hours eating breakfest and getting ready,we left,adventualy I lost david again,For the whole day I was alone,I made the next shelter.next mourning I wook up to a girl walking past the shelter for water,I said HI we talked for a minute,It was her and two freinds,college girls,section hikers and maybe more depeding on how things went.They were real nice cristain girls.I hiked with them off and on all day till we came to a camp site.The bugs were realy bad the girls didnt like it at all but they were tough.The next mourning I got up and the girls were still sleeping,so I packed up and went on,Latter that afternoon I came to a big river,the rangers said it was over eight feet deep,You might think Im a chicken,but I wasent going to crosse it.It had been flouding the last couple weeks in maine that water was way to deep.So I headed out,The rangers said that david swam it with his dog and he ended up a mile and a half down river,the ranger helacoper followed him till he was safe. well every body hope you enjoyed my story. sicerly underground.

One Leg
07-20-2006, 14:25
Sounds like you had a good time. The next time I'm up in Maine hiking, that's how I want to do it: taking my own sweet time, enjoying the scenary, and not having to worry about how many miles I have to cover before it gets dark..

Great story, thanks for sharing.

TOW
07-20-2006, 15:45
sounds like an adventure to me............good read.........