PDA

View Full Version : bear bags

derek
07-19-2006, 18:25
hey there. im kinda new to hiking and just wondering what everyone uses for a bear bag. i looked around on the internet and could only find two kinds, one by gregory and the other on backpackinglight.com (which was sold out). any help would be appreciated.

Phreak
07-19-2006, 19:05
Are you looking for a bear-proof bag or just a bag to hang your food? I use an REI stuff sack with 25ft of nylon cord.

sarbar
07-19-2006, 22:13
If you are hanging food, any stuff sack will work normally. Get silnylon to go lighter. If you want to not have to hang your food, get an Ursack ( www.ursack.com ). Used properly, Ursacks are great.

jlb2012
07-20-2006, 07:53
I generally use 3 nested plastic grocery bags for my food bag and if it looks like rain I'll put a trash bag over all and twist / fold the top to keep the stuff dry. If I am using the trash bag I attach the line with a cow hitch (aka lark's head) knot. if I am not using the trash bag I attach the line with a bowline loop.

Lately however I have been using a bear canister because it works well as a stool to sit on and I never have to worry about the critters getting into my food.

Footslogger
07-20-2006, 07:55
My "bear bag" is really my silnylon food bag.

'Slogger

UnkaJesse
07-20-2006, 09:50
Although I could find a lighter solution, I use an OR Hydroseal bag and lightweight line. The Hydroseal bag is waterproof, so no need for trash bags, etc. Nor do I need to figure out if it will rain in advance. Plus, it comes with a haul loop on the end opposite the opening, so it hangs upside down for more protection from the elements.

AdamantiumKid
07-20-2006, 12:01
Lately however I have been using a bear canister because it works well as a stool to sit on and I never have to worry about the critters getting into my food.

How bulky do you find bear canisters to carry? I've never used one.

Blue Jay
07-20-2006, 12:13
Although I could find a lighter solution, I use an OR Hydroseal bag and lightweight line. The Hydroseal bag is waterproof, so no need for trash bags, etc. Nor do I need to figure out if it will rain in advance. Plus, it comes with a haul loop on the end opposite the opening, so it hangs upside down for more protection from the elements.

This is by far the best suggestion. If a bear cannot smell the food it is far less likely to bother going after it. Hang this near the other suggestions and you'll be completely safe.

Lone Wolf
07-20-2006, 13:15
hey there. im kinda new to hiking and just wondering what everyone uses for a bear bag. i looked around on the internet and could only find two kinds, one by gregory and the other on backpackinglight.com (which was sold out). any help would be appreciated.
I sleep with my bear bag which is just a generic nylon stuff sack.

SGT Rock
07-20-2006, 13:20
Lone Wolf's is hooked to a trip flare and he sleeps with a .45 too.

jlb2012
07-20-2006, 13:28
How bulky do you find bear canisters to carry? I've never used one.

Well the approach I use results in the can being effectively strapped onto the back (outside) of my pack. What I did was to sew up a pack cloth sleave to slide over the canister with a cinch on each end - the lines from the cinch go up to a couple buckles on my pack (a Gearskin). I then tie a couple of small lines to buckles below the can so as to keep the can in one place on the back of the pack. When I tighten up the buckles the can is held fairly solidly against the pack. At first I thought it would be a problem hiking with the can attached like this but I have found that it travels well this way - the only problem I have is when I have to duck under a blowdown - I have to duck down farther to clear the can.

derek
07-21-2006, 00:25
thanks for all your help guys. i really appreciate it.