PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Hammock Setup for Whites in September

Kerosene
07-20-2006, 07:20
I'm considering the following configuration for a section hike through the Whites the third week of September and would like feedback. I have only "fair weather hammocked" in the past in a Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym using a thin/wide closed-cell pad that worked down to 50F. While I don't consider myself a cold sleeper, I appear to be sensitive to temperature variations, such as when my knees would press against the side of the hammock and get colder than the rest of my body.

24 oz. - Hennessy Hyperlite
20 - JRB Nest
16 - WM Highlite (35F)
10 - BMW TorsoLite pad
1 - Stakes (2)
------
71 oz. or 4.4 lbs

This compares pretty favorably to my tent setup.

24 oz. - Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo e
4 - Stakes
4 - Footprint
27 - WM Ultralite (20F)
10 - BMW TorsoLite pad
------
69 oz. or 4.3 lbs

I'm leaning toward the hammock to give me more camping flexibility on steep hillsides and more comfort if I can get away with the lighter mummy. I figure that I can use the JRB Nest as a quilt over my bag if I go to ground, plus as a serape around camp.

Comments? Anything that I'm missing? Any concerns about windblown rain with this setup? Should I consider the HH Adventure Racer to save another 7-8 ounces (I'm 5'9", 170 lbs. and careful with equipment).

SGT Rock
07-20-2006, 07:30
I don't know the temps there but your system would work for me down to about 20F easy with some clothing on.

peter_pan
07-20-2006, 09:18
I'm considering the following configuration for a section hike through the Whites the third week of September and would like feedback. I have only "fair weather hammocked" in the past in a Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym using a thin/wide closed-cell pad that worked down to 50F. While I don't consider myself a cold sleeper, I appear to be sensitive to temperature variations, such as when my knees would press against the side of the hammock and get colder than the rest of my body.

20 - JRB Nest
16 - WM Highlite (35F)
10 - BMW TorsoLite pad
1 - Stakes (2)
------
71 oz. or 4.4 lbs

4 - Stakes
4 - Footprint
27 - WM Ultralite (20F)
10 - BMW TorsoLite pad
------
69 oz. or 4.3 lbs

I'm leaning toward the hammock to give me more camping flexibility on steep hillsides and more comfort if I can get away with the lighter mummy. I figure that I can use the JRB Nest as a quilt over my bag if I go to ground, plus as a serape around camp.

Comments? Anything that I'm missing? Any concerns about windblown rain with this setup? Should I consider the HH Adventure Racer to save another 7-8 ounces (I'm 5'9", 170 lbs. and careful with equipment).

Kerosene,

If you expect to have any exposure to wind I'd recommend a true tarp vs the stock fly....mac cat, 8x10.or 8x8....the weight penalty can be as little as 2.5 oz (8x8) or 6.6 oz (8x10) for a whole lot more coverage....This is especially good if you get extended bad weather and is a good idea for under quilt users....you can make the stock rig work, just more worry and risk.

Saw a post a few days back that there is some sort of delay on ARs... recommend checking on availability to meet your schedule.

IMHO, The HHHL is a better hammock for the weight....the AR is cut narrower, not as much room, may not let you get as flat depending on your height... has no velcro on the slit, more bug potential....no ridge pocket or clips, no big deal-but nice to have....

Pan

neo
07-20-2006, 09:35

20 - JRB Nest
16 - WM Highlite (35F)
10 - BMW TorsoLite pad
1 - Stakes (2)
------
71 oz. or 4.4 lbs

4 - Stakes
4 - Footprint
27 - WM Ultralite (20F)
10 - BMW TorsoLite pad
------
69 oz. or 4.3 lbs

i would ditch the pad,you will not need it with the nest under you:cool: neo

hammock engineer
07-20-2006, 10:25
of course with the pad, you could move the nest inside as a top qult if it got too cold.

Just Jeff
07-20-2006, 11:33
Agree with Rock and Pan - that setup would probably work well into the 20s for me, unless there were high winds and I didn't have a tarp to block.

I've started buttering up the wife so I can get a Hyperlite...she mentioned something about making my own for about that weight. Harumph - she knows I can't turn down a challenge like that! Knows me too well, I guess...