PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs to Damascus Question

maxNcathy
07-20-2006, 14:23
Hi, all You in the know,

I will be hiking north from Springer March 19 and wish to have my wife join me for 5 days of hiking.
I am wondering what 50-70 mile stretch of Trail you would suggest between Hot Springs and Damascus...scenic, interesting,not too brutally difficult.

Thanks, Sandalwood

kyhipo
07-20-2006, 14:27
erwin north.

bigcranky
07-20-2006, 14:44
Erwin north to US 19-E is 50 miles. It's wonderfully scenic and interesting, but there is a LOT of elevation gain. Possibly enough to make it 'brutally difficult.' In March or April it can be very cold along the balds.

Kincora Hostel to Damascus is also 50 miles, but at lower elevations and without the exposure to wind and cold. The trail spends a lot of time along the Iron Mountain ridge, so the hiking is somewhat easier. In April there are still plenty of views from the ridgelines, and you'll start getting some wildflowers along the creeks. Kincora is a great place to stay and an easy place to meet your wife. This stretch isn't as scenic, but it's still very pretty in its own way.

Time To Fly 97
07-20-2006, 16:52
Vanderventer (sp?) shelter to Damascus is a 34 mile stretch. This is a gentle down grade the whole way...

and my biggest mileage day when thru-hiking. I woke up that morning and just dialed in on Quincy's pizza. And later that evening, while I was on the last slice, I remember thinking "Man, I could go for something to eat!" ... and ordered another. LOL!

TTF

D'Artagnan
07-20-2006, 16:59
Kincora Hostel to Damascus is also 50 miles...

That's a nice section, but be aware that the first day will include the jaunt up to Pond Flats (?). If she doesn't have her "hiking legs", that's a good little uphill hop with LOTS of switchbacks. (For what it's worth.)

bigcranky
07-20-2006, 17:51
If you stay at Kincora, Bob Peoples runs a shuttle out to US 321 every morning so his hikers can slack southbound over Pond Flats back to Kincora for a second night. It's still quite a climb, but SOBO is much better graded, and you can stop at Laurel Falls for lunch. It's about a 9 mile day.

The next morning you get up, take the same shuttle to US 321, and start hiking NOBO toward Damascus.

GlazeDog
07-20-2006, 18:45
Erwin North!!!! That section is amazing! Also one awesome hostel 1/2way. You could even try the Damascus Dash (if you a little nutty like me).

Note: That Pond Flats 10 mile section can be day hiked (shuttled out from the hostel, then southbound back to the hostel, then shuttled back to go nobo the next day all fresh and showered and fed).

GlazeDog

GlazeDog
07-20-2006, 18:46
Oops, I basically repeated BigCranky.

GlazeDog

maxNcathy
07-21-2006, 07:53
THANK You so much for your advice guys!
Sandalwood