PDA

View Full Version : Jello as a beverage

AdamantiumKid
07-20-2006, 21:26
So I am looking at The Appalachian Trail Food Planner by Lou Adsmond and they are listing "Lime Jello (hot)" as part of some meals. I am assuming that it's meant as a drink, but it really doesn't say much about it. Is there any reason to have hot jello besides it being something sweet and hot? I just had never heard of such a thing is all.

StarLyte
07-20-2006, 22:21
The box reads: not a significant source of protein, only contains 1 gram of protein and specifically states NOT a significant source of any thing else - can't figure it out other than satisfying your sugar craving and it tastes good hot. Haven't a clue.

Turbo Joe
07-20-2006, 22:45
i actually tried it last year it gave me that feeling of too much fluid in my stomach you know when you can hear it moving in there when your walking

sarbar
07-20-2006, 22:57
It is recomended as a winter drink. Why? Pure sugar, and it is hot. For winter camping this is a bonus if you are cold and tired. Summer hikes? Wouldn't carry it.

max patch
07-20-2006, 22:58
Some hikers like to drink hot jello. You're basically drinking flavored sugar so its a quick pick-me-up type of drink.

Toolshed
07-20-2006, 23:18
It's our gold standard for winter backpacking and climbing in the North East.
Cherry Jello and Yukon Jack. especially when the sun sets at 4:45PM and the temps are down to -10 at 6PM when you have finished dinner. Crawl into your tent and sleeping bag with a big thermos of hot water a box of jello (leave the box at home and pour it into a ziplock) and a bottle of Yukon Jack adn an insulated mug.
The old timers from the 60's-70's swear by it. I got hooked on it in the early 90's and now I don't leave home without it!!!

StarLyte
07-20-2006, 23:30
It's our gold standard for winter backpacking and climbing in the North East.
Cherry Jello and Yukon Jack. especially when the sun sets at 4:45PM and the temps are down to -10 at 6PM when you have finished dinner. Crawl into your tent and sleeping bag with a big thermos of hot water a box of jello (leave the box at home and pour it into a ziplock) and a bottle of Yukon Jack adn an insulated mug.
The old timers from the 60's-70's swear by it. I got hooked on it in the early 90's and now I don't leave home without it!!!

Toolshed....that sounds so good. I'm not a Yukon Jack person but I'd definitely like to try that on a cold day. Yellow Tail might not agree though :D

Hindsfeet
07-21-2006, 00:00
What is Yukon Jack?

Just Jeff
07-21-2006, 00:49
I've had it before - it's pretty good as a warm pick-me-up when it's chilly out. I mix mine a bit thick...almost like a smoothie. Gotta be sure to drink and rinse the last bits or else they'll harden in the bottom of your water bottle.

FWIW, the pistaccio pudding kind was absolutely disgusting. The raspberry gelatin was surprisingly good.

Skidsteer
07-21-2006, 06:18
What is Yukon Jack?

...Booze..

Fiddleback
07-21-2006, 10:04
What is Yukon Jack?

My substance-abuse of choice. Sort of like a much smoother and better tasting Southern Comfort. On the rocks, in Coke (my Lady does Dr.Pepper), with lime...

And while I like to drink, I don't drink on airplanes or in the wilderness. But that's just me...who wants to listen to a Yukon junky.

FB

AdamantiumKid
07-21-2006, 10:21
Do a lot of thru hikers carry non-stove related alchol on the trail with them?

The Solemates
07-21-2006, 10:39
we carry jello a lot. we heat up the water and mix it in the night before, then leave it outside our tent to congeal. makes for a nice snack in the morning. we have also tried drinking it hot, which is also good.

Kerosene
07-21-2006, 10:52
I tried hot Jell-o on my section hike last year, for the first time since I had it as a kid in the 70's. Besides leaving a sticky sugar coating on my cup, it was just too darn sweet (I must be getting old). I'll stick with my other drink options.

Two Speed
07-21-2006, 11:32
I've read that a hot, dilute Jello drink is one of the best things to start a hypothermia victim on. The theory as I remember was that it would provide lots of sugar to crank up the metabolism and a bit of protein to support the cranked up metabolism as the sugar "burns," supplied in a hot drink. Anyone have any definite info on whether this is correct or not?

Kevin A. Boyce
07-21-2006, 11:33
Here in the NE as someone pointed out it is a favorite during winter trips. My friends thought I was crazy at first, but they came around eventually. The lime is great, my favorite, but the strawberry is mighty tasty as well.

I would not carry it during the summer due changes in dietary needs, but hey, give it a shot....

johnny quest
07-21-2006, 12:27
the instructors drank it at mountain warfare center in the high sierras. the idea is 1) its a hot wet, which is of paramount importance and 2) its so full of sugar. we were snowshoeing and acting as our own packdogs for large ochio sleds. we needed the energy.

Creaky
07-22-2006, 13:38
As others have said, it's a standard winter camping drink in the Northeast. Terrible to the point of disgusting in warm weather, fantastic in cold, and a great surprise treat if you're introducing a child to chilly weather camping.