PDA

View Full Version : two late blooming north bounders

TOW
07-20-2006, 22:04
Moose and Cowboy are here in Damascus. These guys started around June 16the respectfully.....

Moose is sitting here telling me that he's the fastest hiker out here on the trail. He says he can outhike any of you, of course he's a wee bit intoxicated, but I'm not going to argue with him....

Moose is from Alaska, and Cowboy is from Maine.............

A-Train
07-20-2006, 22:47
They have just under 3 months to get to Katahdin by the "close date". 1700 miles in 95 days. About 18 miles per day. Definately not gonna take a Herculean effort. Limit the zero's, keep the miles steady around 20 thru the mid-atlantic and they'll be cruising into K town easily, baring injuries.

Hope they get used to hearing "your not gonna make it". Those people all know nothing.

A-Train
07-20-2006, 22:48
Sorry fuzzy math. 85 days, so 20 miles a day overall. Still totally doable. The cooler temps down the stretch should work to their advantage.

The Solemates
07-21-2006, 09:17
well then they are ahead of the couple I met in the smokies this past weekend who are trying to get it all down before mid october.

kyhipo
07-21-2006, 09:28
sorry guys not fast enough:eek: to beat the southern heat:D besides alot of people become superhikers after a few brewskys,its all elementry.ky

TOW
07-21-2006, 09:33
They have just under 3 months to get to Katahdin by the "close date". 1700 miles in 95 days. About 18 miles per day. Definately not gonna take a Herculean effort. Limit the zero's, keep the miles steady around 20 thru the mid-atlantic and they'll be cruising into K town easily, baring injuries.

Hope they get used to hearing "your not gonna make it". Those people all know nothing.they were suppose to leave this morning, they didn't get in til around 7 last night is what they told me, so maybe they'll make it......

TOW
07-21-2006, 09:35
Sorry fuzzy math. 85 days, so 20 miles a day overall. Still totally doable. The cooler temps down the stretch should work to their advantage.that moose dude said he can hike 25 miles a day at least, he didn't say outright that he was doing 25 a day but i guess that goes without saying........

TOW
07-21-2006, 09:37
well then they are ahead of the couple I met in the smokies this past weekend who are trying to get it all down before mid october.i think someone said on here about two to three weeks ago they had met these guys in hot springs, but now that you mentioned about what you posted the other day i am just wondering if it wasn't you i was thinking of?

TOW
07-21-2006, 09:40
sorry guys not fast enough:eek: to beat the southern heat:D besides alot of people become superhikers after a few brewskys,its all elementry.kythat is true, but i think the young man ain't bluffing, he's a pretty well built lad and his partner too, they look to me like they can back up what they're indicating.......anyway, hope to hear more about these two, so if any of you run into them, then keep this thread going so we can see how far they're averaging per day....

Time To Fly 97
07-21-2006, 09:57
I summitted K on Oct 23rd. It was 18 degrees at night not including windchill. Kinda brutal, but nothing was going to stop me after 2100 miles. My summit pic is all white with hail. Big nod to the "Dirty Half Dozen."

In hindsight, I wouldn't do this any other way - caught full foliage in Maine and no bugs.

There are many things Moose and Cowboy will miss though because pulling 20s in the Northern sections require using every minute of daylight.

I loved sleeping in the firetowers, taking the optional zero because I met some cutie in a trail town, nice long wake&B in the mornings, taking time to enjoy the hikers around me, etc.....Priceless!

But hey...hike your own hike...and I hope theirs is blessed with great times!

TTF

kyhipo
07-21-2006, 10:18
that is true, but i think the young man ain't bluffing, he's a pretty well built lad and his partner too, they look to me like they can back up what they're indicating.......anyway, hope to hear more about these two, so if any of you run into them, then keep this thread going so we can see how far they're averaging per day....well i wish them Godspeed love to be hiking with them felt the old hiker in me on my last hike.ky

Doctari
07-21-2006, 10:27
Sorry fuzzy math. 85 days, so 20 miles a day overall. Still totally doable. The cooler temps down the stretch should work to their advantage.

A-train forgot to take off the shoes before counting. :rolleyes:

Doctari.

The Solemates
07-21-2006, 10:34
i think someone said on here about two to three weeks ago they had met these guys in hot springs, but now that you mentioned about what you posted the other day i am just wondering if it wasn't you i was thinking of?

we were not in hot springs a few weeks ago. we met another couple in the smokies this past weekend. i do not think they will make it before time, but they were prepared to push it and try, but then flip up to katahdin if time did not allow them to make it.

TOW
07-21-2006, 14:40
these guys are still here and talking about flipping..........

Heater
07-21-2006, 18:10
these guys are still here and talking about flipping..........

My first thought... they're gonna have to flip. (or sober up and do big miles)

:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
07-22-2006, 08:39
WOW. 2 hikers in Damascus contemplating a flip-flop. Breaking news! Who gives a *** comes to mind.:rolleyes: :)

TOW
07-22-2006, 08:46
WOW. 2 hikers in Damascus contemplating a flip-flop. Breaking news! Who gives a *** comes to mind.:rolleyes: :)i do comes to mind............

ARambler
07-22-2006, 12:29

You know too much about math and actually hiking: 460 mi /(7/22 -6/16) = 12.8 mi/day I don't think we have a Pony Express or Wag Daddy hiding in D.

I've recommended against hiking PA in June, July or August. These guys must really like the heat.
Rambler

Amigi'sLastStand
07-22-2006, 14:23
Tell your friend who thinks he can hike the fastest that I left him a prize. Just tell him to go to the bathroom and lift the lid.

Who gives a s---.

TOW
07-22-2006, 14:47
Tell your friend who thinks he can hike the fastest that I left him a prize. Just tell him to go to the bathroom and lift the lid.

Who gives a s---.that's kinda smelly.............you ought to learn how to hit the hole.........

mweinstone
07-22-2006, 14:52
try saying it in a george bush seinor voice,...
"not gonna make it"

and do his hand jestures.

mweinstone
07-22-2006, 14:54
did anybody see the movie,.."big fat drunken lier"?