PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and wannabe "thru-Hiker" here...

GreyGoose
07-21-2006, 01:15
Hi all

I can't even believe I'm actually posting here since I will more than likely never get the grand opportunity to even walk 2 feet of the AP but here I am nonetheless. You people are so unbelievably lucky and I envy you totally.

I've been lurking here for 3-4 days now and I think I've just about read this forum from "cover to cover" (like a good Agatha Christy novel that you just can't put down) and so I've spent like 4-5 hours each day just lurking here and reading my brains out. Fascinating stuff.

Ever since my teen years (I'm 43 now) I've dreamed about walking the entire length of the AP, made lengthy "lists" of what all I would take with me, plotted and planned everything out in my head, fantasized like crazy ad nausium.

Now here I am at 43 years of age with all kinds of mental and physical disorders, on numerous medications, tied down to my home, elderly roommate (who happens to be my best freind), my business/customers and many animals and I am also battling alcoholism (and currently winning). I would be hiking solo (if I ever got lucky enough to go) but would really like to have at least two other hiking buddies for companionship, protection, etc but who can trust a complete stranger?. The thing is...I am very shy and suffer from social anxiety disorder and as a rule, I am terrified of other people and don't have much self esteem. I also suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder and Hypochondria so instead of being able to relax and enjoy my time on the trail, I would be constantly worrying about being robbed, beaten up (I'm just a little guy), wild animals attacking, rabies, dogs, falling off a mountain and dying, etc.

The other thing I worry about are the attitudes of some people. Everyone seems to have some pet peeve, wierd idiosyncrasy or chip on their shoulder these days and that can only make for conflicts. I just see a lot of hidden dangers and things that could go wrong. Gosh, I probably sound like some hysterical nutcase.

Anyway, at least I had a good read for the last 3-4 days hanging out at this forum. I swear, it was like I almost walked the trail myself - that's how "absorbed" I was while reading. Lucky, lucky people. It sure must be nice.

Thank's for allowing me to share (I guess I'm kind of lamenting too) and God bless all of you. I just wish I could join in on the fun!.

- Regards, GG

One Leg
07-21-2006, 01:38
You've taken the first step: You've admitted your desire to hike.

If you've taken the time to peruse UnderGroundNathan's postings, you'll learn that there are those out there with multiple mental disorders who cast that aside and hike on.

Bill Irwin, in 1990, hiked the A.T. in spite of the fact that he was blind.

He became my inspiration, and it was he that I thought of whenever I thought about quitting during my 2004-2005 hike of the A.T.

Whether you have a physical or mental disability, don't let that stop you from doing the things that you love to do. Don't listen to people who tell you that you can't do it. Look at folks like Bill Irwin, UnderGroundNathan, and a whole host of others, and you'll see that it can be done. Don't let obstacles stand in your way: look at them as challanges that must be overcome.

You can do it.

-Scott

Amigi'sLastStand
07-21-2006, 02:05
I probably sound like some hysterical nutcase.

Yeah, so what, so are most of us here.:D I understand your situation. Read my trip report and you'll see what I mean. It's worse than that, I didnt right all the crap wrong in my life.

Well, you've lurked here for days, so are you going to do it or what? You didnt mention your experience level, so I assume you are not yet accustomed to LD hiking. Time to start learning if you wanna thruhike.

You're disorders can be overcome, like One Leg said. That guy is an inspiration to me. Look at his hero, Bill Irwin. Hike the AT with GAD?, he hiked BLIND!!!! Guy is incredible.

Hang around here, keep reading the posts, do searches on your conditions and concerns. They are all here somewhere.

Are you in a position to thru hike? I will be attempting again my AT thru next year. I've been working as best I can to save up, and hiking every other day and each weekend since I healed. Drop me an email with any concerns you may have. Trusting strangers is tough, I know, but you get to know ppl here pretty well just by what they type.
Good luck, keep connected, and God Bless
Chuck

GreyGoose
07-21-2006, 02:07
Hi One Leg

Thank you so much for the very inspiring reply. I really appreciated that and it lifted my spirits considerably. I guess I'm kind of like the guy in the wheelchair who sits at his bedroom window each day watching the world go by but never getting to interact with it.

Walking the AP would be like some kind of religious experience for me - like travelling to Mecca or something. I mean, it would be THAT intense. The raw beauty of nature, getting out of my shy "shell" and getting to open up and meet other people. I've done a serious amount of reading here about "trail angels", bear encounters, rude people, nice people, etc, etc and when I sum it all up, I'm really not sure exactly what the whole experience would be like or what to think of it.

While I'm not "rich" or anything, I do have the money for this but I've been trapped in this rat-race routine for the past 20 years of getting up, feeding the animals, making coffee, reading the news, working on the business, dealing with customers, eating dinner and going to bed. That's been my routine for the last 20 years and I am so firmly rooted here with all sorts of responsabilities and such that I just don't see where it would be possible for me to do this and yet my very soul aches...longs for the opportunity. I realize that I may sound melodramatic but I REALLY do want to do this with a passion before I die someday.

I also have noone to travel with and no idea wether my future hiking buddy (or buddies) and myself would turn out to be compatible and 100 miles into the trip would be a very bad time to find out otherwise and perhaps risk being left all alone to face the looming darkness and wild beasts.

As far as money, planning, logistics, transportation, etc is concerned, I don't think that would be a problem but there would be many things that I would have to plan ahead for like getting my prescriptions filled somewhere along the trail, maildrop arrangements, finding a hiking buddy or two and knowing that we would stick togethert through thick and thin throughout the entire trip, etc. Then, there's my elderly room mate. We rent and without both incomes, he would have no way to afford living here and of course there's my animals, business, customers, my doctors, etc. When I was a lot younger, I traveled all accross Cananda, the U.S. and Mexico with a dog and a backpack and was very "footloose and fancy-free". I miss those days and even though I'm settled down and have all kinds of obligations and commitments, I hate the thought of just growing old and dying without at least finding some way of giving it a shot. It has got to be one of the most awesome experiences imaginable for sure.

- Regards, GG

GreyGoose
07-21-2006, 02:23
Hi Amigi'sLastStand

Thank's for making me feel less alone. I guess we all have our own problems (mental, physical, etc) and I have read that a lot of people on up in their 70's and 80's even hike the trail so that gave me some courage.

From everything I have read so far, AP hikers sound like a really great bunch of people who try to look out for each other...sort of like one big family. I really like that aspect because it makes me feel less "alone" or "abandoned" if I ever do finally decide to hike the trail.

I will definately read UnderGroundNathan's postings. It sound like some good, inspiring reading for sure. Thank's for the link!.

Well, it's getting late here and my eyes are getting fuzzy looking at this thing so I'd better hit the hay for now. Sure, I'll definately keep in touch and thank's again to all for the uplifting replies.

- Regards, GG

Amigi'sLastStand
07-21-2006, 02:31
Where you at in Fl, GreyGoose? I'll be back in the Sunshine state hopefully by the end of the month. I stuck in Yankee country and long for the South. I live in Seminole County in Lake Mary/Sanford area.

GreyGoose
07-21-2006, 02:50
Hi everyone

I just wanted to say that I read the first 8-10 postings in UnderGroundNathan's thread and I was really touched by the acceptance of people like him, myself and others with various dissabilites here as well as the general comraderie that exists among fellow hikers. Perhaps there really IS hope for the human race after all:).

I live in the Ocala area of Florida Amigi'sLastStand. This obssession over hiking the AP hit me (again) just a little over a week ago and then when I actually began looking into the whole idea of actually doing it (and reading about it in depth), it's almost like I HAVE to do it now. Unfortunately, though I'm just not able to go at this point in my life for reasons I mentioned earlier and am forced to face the very real possabilty that I may never be able to go but I'm still hanging onto that tiny thread of hope and have not given up on the idea of converting my dream of hiking the AP into reality someday.

- Regards, GG

One Leg
07-21-2006, 02:51
I guess I'm kind of like the guy in the wheelchair who sits at his bedroom window each day watching the world go by but never getting to interact with it.
- Regards, GG

That statement, in a nutshell, is exactly what I was trying to get people to see when I hiked the trail in '04-'05.

The terms "disabled" and "handicapped", are terms that I think are more a state of mind as opposed to a state of being. I've met so many folks who, outwardly, seem to have it so together, yet are the most disabled, handicapped folks I've ever met in my life.

Bill Irwin allowed me the privelage to spend a weekend in his home in July '04. I was totally amazed at what he's able to do, and what he does, in spite of his blindness. He showed me the log home that he and his wife are building together. And, get this, the dude operates a chainsaw and drives a forklift, all without the benefit of sight!! He listens for his wife's commands, and steers the forklift and raises the logs as she instructs. Totally astounding. I'm still awed at what I witnessed......However, had he listened to the countless number of folks who said that he couldn't do it, then he'd have missed out on the opprotunity of a lifetime. I'm glad that he had the courage to go against the grain and follow his dream. He's paved the way for so many of us to have the guts to go for it.

It's been said that the journey of a thousand miles begins with that first step. For so many, that first step is the hardest one they'll ever take. I'm glad that I took that first step, and don't regret ever doing it. Just by taking that first step, I succeeded, whether or not I did the whole 2178 miles in one calander year is beside the point. Bottom line is that I did it.

Whether you're physically or mentally "disabled", there are things that you can do besides being that guy in the wheelchair who sits at his bedroom window each day watching the world go by but never getting to interact with it.

There's a world of experiences out there. How much you get out of it is entirely up to you. You can have as little or as much of it as you want, it all depends on what drives you inside.

-Scott

Lilred
07-21-2006, 08:00
For more good reading, check out www.trailjournals.com That'll keep you reading for months.... Welcome to Whiteblaze.

berninbush
07-21-2006, 08:06
Sounds like the main thing holding you back is your responsibilities at home and work.

Here's a tip: there are tons of recent college graduates who are very intelligent, capable, and well-trained, but can't find a job because nobody's willing to take a "chance" on them without five years of documented work experience. (I know all about this: I just got my Masters degree and I'm having the same problem.) Find one or two of these to step into your shoes while you're gone. I bet you can find one who would rather house-sit for you and feed your pets than have to move back in with their parents. And maybe a nice business major would take over whatever you do for work. Just get good references from people not related to them-- from people you know, if possible. If you really want it, you can make it happen.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-21-2006, 08:15
GreyGoose, I'm sure your been to Alexander and Juniper and Salt and Silver. I love all of those place. I have camped and hiked Alex and Juniper over 50 times. That area is my favorite place on earth. When I get back to Florida in a month or so, if you want to, I would love to take you hiking in the Forest for week on vacation. Think of it as a prep hike for when you do get to hike the AT. Email me if you want to do it.
Chuck

Wonder
07-21-2006, 09:37
I read that you feel everyone has a chip on their shoulder. On whiteblaze, it really looks like that. My experience out on the trail was actually quite harmonious........ Everyone seemed to accept everyone for who they were. I've talked to some this year who had some problems, but for the most part, you can get in with a crew and really find your own place on the trial! It's part of the magic of the AT.....we are all out doing the same thing!

GreyGoose
07-21-2006, 11:13
Good morning!

I just woke up and am sitting here with my coffee reading these replies. I realize that this forum is not really for the discussion of health issues per se and I don't want to get too far off topic if I can help it (and I'm not looking for pity or anything) but since health issues can effect an individual's ability to hike, I thought I should also mention a few other problems I have and perhaps get some input on how I might be able to work around them so they don't become a problem in the event I am able to go someday. Even if I did go at some point, I would want to spend at least a month or two reading the forums and talking to people anyway so as to gain some insight into what I was dealing with.

Ok, I have Tourette's syndrome with echolalia which means that at various times, I shout and make noises or have tics/spasms. Most of the time I am able to maintain some level of control over them but imagine if I were to be walking with a few new-found freinds having a conversation and all of a sudden I blurted out some obscenity or jerked my head around on my shoulders, etc. That would be so embarrassing not only to me but the people I was hiking with as well. In fact, I'm probably ruining any chances of finding a future hiking buddy by telling you people this but I have to be honest here. That being said, if any of you were to just sit down and have a conversation with me in person, you might think I was perfectly normal. Like UnderGroundNathan said, it's difficult to make freinds (same for me).

Also, I have suffered from enuresis (bed wetting) since childhood. During the years when I actually did a great deal of hiking, traveling, hitchhiking, etc, this created a huge problem for me because I would very often wake up shivering with a soaking-wet sleeping bag and no way to wash/dry it. I found this to be very frustrating/discouraging and it can ruin an otherwise enjoyable trip.

Anyway, I also suffer from Obssessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) but I won't get into since it probably would'nt be a big issue for me on the trail.

I think for now I just want to hang out here, make some freinds, learn a few things and see what eventually develops.

Amigi'sLastStand - I REALLY appreciate your very kind offer and it's very tempting but I have a lot of issues to resolve (both practical and logistical) before I embark on any kind of trail walk. Right now, I think I just want to focus on getting an education, learning, asking questions and getting some knowledge under my belt but I will definately keep in touch with you in the interum.

Well, I can't think of much else to say at the moment. I'm going to read the rest of UnderGroundNathan's posts and get to work (sigh).

- Regards, GG

Amigi'sLastStand
07-21-2006, 13:33
No problemo. I have hiked every trail I have found in the Forest, so I think I could be a good guide for you. We aint sleeping in the same bag, so the bedding wetting isnt a problem for me.:D Try a Depends at nite. That fixes that. I have a friend who has Tourette's, and he says I swear more than him, so you'll have to get used to me cursing.

If you ever want to go out hiking over a three day weekend, drop me a line. I am always looking for good hiking partners.

GreyGoose
07-21-2006, 14:05
We aint sleeping in the same bag, so the bedding wetting isnt a problem for me.:D

ROTFL!!!!! . I was feeling pretty down (dealing with my health issues and other probs) but you made me laugh. At least you have a sense of humor about things and that's a good attribute to have on any hike!:)

No, I don't mind your cursing at all. Everyone is different and we all have to try to be tolerant of each other's idiosyncrasies, etc. My Tourette's probably would'nt even be noticeable most of the time and the bed-wetting could be dealt with by taking a pill (or as you said, wearing a depends).

Just be warned that every few feet up the trail I will have to stand on my head and spin several times. Er...it's just a little "thing" of mine:D

- Regards, GG

TOW
07-21-2006, 14:24
[quote=GreyGoose]Hi all

I can't even believe I'm actually posting here since I will more than likely never get the grand opportunity to even walk 2 feet of the AP but here I am nonetheless. You people are so unbelievably lucky and I envy you totally.

Ever since my teen years (I'm 43 now) I've dreamed about walking the entire length of the AP, made lengthy "lists" of what all I would take with me, plotted and planned everything out in my head, fantasized like crazy ad nausium. (quote)

You can hike the "AP!" Just go buy yourself a newspaper and take a trip with the "Associated Press."

(quote)Now here I am at 43 years of age with all kinds of mental and physical disorders, on numerous medications, tied down to my home, elderly roommate (who happens to be my best freind), my business/customers and many animals and I am also battling alcoholism (and currently winning). I would be hiking solo (if I ever got lucky enough to go) but would really like to have at least two other hiking buddies for companionship, protection, etc but who can trust a complete stranger?. The thing is...I am very shy and suffer from social anxiety disorder and as a rule, I am terrified of other people and don't have much self esteem. I also suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder and Hypochondria so instead of being able to relax and enjoy my time on the trail, I would be constantly worrying about being robbed, beaten up (I'm just a little guy), wild animals attacking, rabies, dogs, falling off a mountain and dying, etc. (quote)

you'll fit right in.....

(quote)The other thing I worry about are the attitudes of some people. Everyone seems to have some pet peeve, wierd idiosyncrasy or chip on their shoulder these days and that can only make for conflicts. I just see a lot of hidden dangers and things that could go wrong. Gosh, I probably sound like some hysterical nutcase. (quote)

attitudes? just watch out for Lone Wolf, if you ever meet him in person, he'll love ya to death...

(quote(Anyway, at least I had a good read for the last 3-4 days hanging out at this forum. I swear, it was like I almost walked the trail myself - that's how "absorbed" I was while reading. Lucky, lucky people. It sure must be nice.(quote)

the only thing that is keeping you away from this trail is all your what if's, and's, or butt's...

Amigi'sLastStand
07-21-2006, 14:29
ROTFL!!!!! . I was feeling pretty down (dealing with my health issues and other probs) but you made me laugh. At least you have a sense of humor about things and that's a good attribute to have on any hike!:)

No, I don't mind your cursing at all. Everyone is different and we all have to try to be tolerant of each other's idiosyncrasies, etc. My Tourette's probably would'nt even be noticeable most of the time and the bed-wetting could be dealt with by taking a pill (or as you said, wearing a depends).

Just be warned that every few feet up the trail I will have to stand on my head and spin several times. Er...it's just a little "thing" of mine:D

- Regards, GG
:D Once I was feeling pretty down, and the Dino's made me laugh. Fixed my whole day. Glad I could return the favor, good for my karma.

Offer stands. Anytime you want to go, email me.:sun
Chuck

GreyGoose
07-21-2006, 17:09
Hi Amigi'sLastStand

You can't imagine how much I would like to take this a step further and actually go with you. I feel that just the planning, buying supplies and chatting about our "upcoming trip" would be very therapeutic for me and besides, I need to get out more, meet people, make new freinds, etc. So do you (or have you ever) walked the AP and/or would you ever consider doing a total thru-hike?.

A little about me: I am an animal lover. I used to drink frequently but I don't do much drinking anymore due to health probs. I love pizza (who does'nt?). I love nature. I might seem pretty shy and stand-offish at first but not because I am trying to be unfriendly or anything. I have been told by others that I "walk to the beat of a different drummer but once you get to know me I am a nice guy". I'm also a mellow, easy going person who tends to be overly friendly (ie; saying "good morning", somewhat talkative - as you can probably tell, polite, generous, open and honest, modest, etc). I reject the whole male "macho" thing but I'm also as straight as an arrow so you won't here me bragging about some "war story" or how expensive my gear was or whatever. I'm just a very down-to-earth person basically. I am also kind of eccentric. I have a dog, goat and a goose and I have been known to sit with my goose in front of the TV and eat popcorn or even sleep with it (yes, people think I'm nuts...).

Anyway, if you want to reach me my email address is: [email protected]. I don't currently have an instant messager client installed but that can easily be arranged if you want to chat live.

As an aside, I hope that I hav'nt scared anyone off here by telling them about my health probs and such. I'm only here to learn and make friends.

- Regards, Tim

GreyGoose
07-21-2006, 20:00
I was just thinking (as crazy as it sounds)...I need someone here to kidnap me and *force* me to walk the trail. I promise no resistance and once I get past the first day or two, I'd probably eating out of your hand like a puppy. Man, why does the rat-race we call "society" have to suck so much?. I just put in another boring day at work, blah...blah...and wondered why I even exist or what my purpose here on earth was...where my youth/ambition/health went, etc. I give up:(

- GG

mweinstone
07-21-2006, 20:02
god gives us not a spirit of weekness,..but one of streangth and power.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-22-2006, 02:46
Hi Amigi'sLastStand

You can't imagine how much I would like to take this a step further and actually go with you. I feel that just the planning, buying supplies and chatting about our "upcoming trip" would be very therapeutic for me and besides, I need to get out more, meet people, make new freinds, etc. So do you (or have you ever) walked the AP and/or would you ever consider doing a total thru-hike?.

A little about me: I am an animal lover. I used to drink frequently but I don't do much drinking anymore due to health probs. I love pizza (who does'nt?). I love nature. I might seem pretty shy and stand-offish at first but not because I am trying to be unfriendly or anything. I have been told by others that I "walk to the beat of a different drummer but once you get to know me I am a nice guy". I'm also a mellow, easy going person who tends to be overly friendly (ie; saying "good morning", somewhat talkative - as you can probably tell, polite, generous, open and honest, modest, etc). I reject the whole male "macho" thing but I'm also as straight as an arrow so you won't here me bragging about some "war story" or how expensive my gear was or whatever. I'm just a very down-to-earth person basically. I am also kind of eccentric. I have a dog, goat and a goose and I have been known to sit with my goose in front of the TV and eat popcorn or even sleep with it (yes, people think I'm nuts...).

Anyway, if you want to reach me my email address is: [email protected]. I don't currently have an instant messager client installed but that can easily be arranged if you want to chat live.

As an aside, I hope that I hav'nt scared anyone off here by telling them about my health probs and such. I'm only here to learn and make friends.

- Regards, Tim
Just call me Amigi or Chuck, the LastStand part is a different story.
I have not thrued the AT, though the miles under my feet are pretty high. I had a problem with a mountain this year. I smacked it around a little, but in the end the mountain won ( read my article for a funny story ). I am planning on trying again next year, but as it stands my life will be in serious flux over the next three to four months, so we'll see. I may do the BMT if I dont have the time to do the AT.
My advice is let's try some hikes in the Forest first. We need to get your gear and get you prepped. Prepping for a noobie is getting you used to the outdoors, getting used to your equipment, the sights and sounds, the small tribulations that occur, and the environment. And in your case, seeing how you react to all of it and what adjustments we need to make. But yes, when I get back to Fl soon and I get set, I am heading straight to Ocala to spend some nites laying around Juniper and Alexander. We can hook up and get you your gear.
Chuck
PS- No geese!!!:eek: :)

Lone Wolf
07-22-2006, 08:42
god left out spelling ability for your ass!:D

TOW
07-22-2006, 08:43
god left out spelling ability for your ass!:Dhahahaha..............you ain't right, give the guy a break...........:D

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 11:24

Thank you for that reassuring Bible verse. I was brought up a Baptist and try to live by God's holy word as a rule. Of course, it's not always easy because of the sinful and fallen world we live in and the attitudes today toward Chirstians and other faiths (perhaps as a result of the numerous "religious wars" currently being fought around the globe).

I will say however, that even though God gives us strength, it sometimes does'nt always feel that way because the pressures of life, society, etc can really drag you down and make you feel very weak and vulnerable.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and thank you. Happy hiking (if your lucky enough to have that going for you).

- Regards, GG

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 11:38
Hi Chuck

Fair enough...no geese:D. I meant to tell you ealier that I used to live up in the forest (I rented a place there) and used to take long walks. It's very scenic and easy to get lost (which I did one time). I've also heard that there are a lot of people who actually live in the forest (they are called "wild people") and they camp in groups and go into town only to work and shop for supplies. I also heard there was a murder and several rapes among these groups that took place a few months ago (it was in the news). Hopefully we would'nt be bumping into them...I value my scalp!...lol.

As far as getting us/me prepped, shopping for supplies, etc, I will make a list at some point based on what I purchased for previous hiking trips (which has worked out pretty well for me in the past). I tend to pack kind of heavy (ie; I'm not an "ultralighter"). The only concern I would have would be hiking boots. On one trip I took (years ago) I wore a pair of boots that were absolute TORTURE on my feet and I got rid of them just as soon as I could (it felt great!).

Anyway, I'm not sure about the timetable but I guess we can kind of play it by ear and if and when it happens, it happens.

- Regards, GG

bfitz
07-22-2006, 13:14
Gosh, I probably sound like some hysterical nutcase.
Wait till you meet the rest of us hysterical nutcases out on the trail, you'll fit right in.

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 13:30
Wait till you meet the rest of us hysterical nutcases out on the trail, you'll fit right in.

That's what I'm afraid of. Do any of you spin your heads around rapidly and vomit green pea soup like that girl on the Exorcist?:confused::D

Amigi'sLastStand
07-22-2006, 14:12
Yes it easy to get lost in the Forest. The trails are very rustic compared to a well blazed trail system like the AT. But, that's where learning orientation, map skills, and navigation come into play. Besides, being lost in ONF is not so bad. Food abounds everywhere, water is never a problem, and if I have the time to be "lost", who cares.

The wilders are an issue. But I wouldnt worry to much about em. As I have said in other threads, I do not believe in handguns on the AT, but I do carry in Florida. ( Don't let this degenerate. Not the place ). The wilders live primarily on the western side of ONF nearer to Ocala. I hike the eastern side and have never ( almost ) had a problem with them. They are mostly nice ppl down on their luck, but as in any society, they have their bad apples to. Murders in the woods are miniscule compared to society at large, so no worries, and none of the violence as far as I have read stemmed from the wilders.

ONF is my favorite place on earth. It is beautiful like few like other places are, IMO. You'll be safe.

No hiking boots in Fl. With sandy paths, a comfy set of trail runners or sneakers is all you need. The rest of your gear, I'll look at and we'll go from there. Peace.

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 18:29
Hi again Chuck

Quick question. I was just wondering how much money I should bring with me since you might be able to show me what all I need to buy and since I have no earthly idea where to buy this stuff anyway. I should probably bring cash (I really don't see where a CC or checks are going to do me much good out in the ONF once the gear has already been purchased). We could meet in the forest where I could get a feel for it and then discuss what all we need to buy if you want or if you have another idea...

That's a relief that the wild ones are over on the other side. I just heard about them not too long ago but I'm sure you know a lot more about them than I do since I hav'nt been in the ONF for quite some time now. No, I don't mind if you have a gun at all because that can be used for protection in case we do run into the wild ones (which I hope we don't!).

Yes, it sounds gorgeous and there is a lot of scenery up there to look at. The last time I was in the ONF (when I rented a place) there was this one huge lake with maybe only one home on it. I wanted to just dive right in!:).

Anyway, let me know what you think and I'll catch you later.

- Regards, GG

Amigi'sLastStand
07-22-2006, 22:57
Well, the only place to really resupply in the ONF is at the campsites with commissaries or at the few convience stores in the forest like that redneck bar/grocery store/convience store/horse shoer/pig gutter/mobile home repairer/propane seller/brain surgery place on 445a near Alexander. I usually have $40 for a week on me, more if I grab a six pack every three days or so. There are ATMs in the forest if you need more.

My plan was to meet you in Ocala, and get some lunch to get to know one another. You bring along your gear and we can check it out. Then head over to an outfitter and get you set up. You could come back and camp with me a few days to familiarize yourself. We would day hike around the camping areas.
GG, I gotta stress that you need to be worked into this at a pace right for you. I dont think you will have much success just jumping out on a trail feet flyin' to thruhike. I've been hiking/camping my whole life and I just had a setback because I forgot that key point. So, no worries, all of this is at least two months away anyway. It's too friggin hot to be camping now anyway.
See ya. Chuck

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 23:43
Hi Chuck

Well, to be completely honest with you (since I've never actually done this before), I had kind of wondered how we were going to do all this. I mean, I did'nt say anything because I did'nt want to make a big issue out of it but I have been secretly thinking to myself that here I am going out in the middle of nowhere with someone I have never met before and getting involved in something I have never done before, etc. Then, there's the wild ones and the possability of "carrying" (I won't go any further with that) so I was a little spooked at the whole thing (fear of the "unknown" I guess) but still ready to give it a chance. What the heck...

I think it would be a good idea to have some lunch together and get to know each other first as you mentioned because let's face it, we may not be compatible or conversely, we may end up becoming like-long friends or something and I think we can both agree that if either you or I (or me and someone else) ends up hiking the AT someday, compatibility is going to be of the utmost importance so that no feelings get hurt, noone offends anyone else or end up leaving their hiking partner over a dissagreement about something 1/3 of the way up the AT.

Maybe a good idea is to just open up to each other here in the forums, be frank and talk about what we each like or don't like about our potential hiking partner(s). This might help us get to know each other better and allow us to avoid any misunderstandings further on. For example, I've run into some macho types on various trips I have taken where they have gotten drunk or something and then spent 30 minutes or so bragging to me about how "tough" they were and how they were black belts in Karate or something (either because they felt threatend by me for whatever reason and were trying to send me a not-so-subtle "message") or perhaps because they just had too much to drink. Anyway, that is one of my pet peeves. Another one is someone who thinks they know it all or thinks they are better than you (ie; general snobs/gear snobs, etc). I guess that about sums it up for me. So what are your pet peeves (if you don't mind sharing)?.

Well, my eyes are starting to get buggy so I'd better give 'em a break for now. I'm sure everything will go just fine. It's always the first time that's kind of "scary":).

- Regards, GG

Amigi'sLastStand
07-23-2006, 04:59
GG, relax. I have started out a few ppl hiking, I'm a good teacher, and you neednt be afraid of the unknown. Be cautious, be smart, but dont be afraid and dont worry. Setting yourself up for expectations, good or bad, when you havent been yet, isnt healthy. Besides, this is hiking, not grenade throwing or sniper school.

I've been researching the conditions that you have, so I can prepare myself as to what I have to expect and what I may need to know if something happens to you. Any you havent mentioned, let me know via email. I;m not a doctor, but nine years as a second-skill medic gives me a good enough background to at least understand. The only thing Army medics arent trained in today is oncology, and I hear next years class will get some of that.:D

I would prefer to have more private conversation via email and later on when I get back home, via telephone. This conversation is really outta place on a public forum.

I have plenty of pet peeves, but I dont think you're gonna have many of em, so no worries.

Definitely not the macho type. I am a first degree black belt in Brazilian ( Gracie-style ) jiu-jit-siu, interesting you should mention black belts. But martial arts is a humbling experience and endeavor when taught properly, so you wont be hearing me bragging about it. It just...keeps me safe.

Drop me an email, [email protected], on the specifics of your conditions, the TS in particular since that one is the most varied. What is the nature of your tics: where are your motor-tics localized, and what is the nature of your vocalizations, simple of complex? Any known triggers of the bedwetting and how often? What is the current state of your pharma regiment? Anything more would be helpful.

Please, at this point, best to make this a private conversation, so drop me an email. I will be out hiking for a couple days as soon as the rain stops, so if you dont hear from me right away, no worries.

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 13:50
Hi Chuck

You seem like a very considerate and well-educated person and you are right - our conversation probably does need to be more private at this point so I will respect that and perhaps set up an instant messaging client so we can chat live and perhaps even a web cam (if you feel comfortable with that).

I want to apologize for my remark about "black belts". I did take some karate and Kung-Fu lessons myself a l-o-n-g time ago but they were informal and would probably no longer be useful to me. In fact, I would probably look kind of silly if I ever had to put them to use. Anyway, I think the martial arts give you confidence, the ability to protect yourself and are a great way to get in shape so I have nothing at all against people who practice the arts, really.

As far as my Tourette's is concerned (and I don't mind at all sharing this on a public forum), I tend to "trip" myself when walking every so often and I and I also jerk my head back and forth sometimes. As far as vocalizations are concerned, well, this is pretty embarrassing but I tend to shout the "F" word sometimes followed by a person's name which can can get pretty awkward if someone thinks I'm addressing them. I once worked for a guy (we were good friends too) as a gardner and one day we were out looking at something and suddenly I blurted out "F---- YOU BOB!!!!!!". He turned around to look at me and his eyes got as big as saucers and I have never been more embarrassed in all my life. Another time, I was at the post office and I shouted the "N word" and then looked around and noticed a 250-300LB Afro-Amercian gentleman standing behind me and I thought I was going to crap my pants right there. Anyway, that's why it's so difficult for me to go out in public or make friends. I did'nt ask to be born this way but I guess you have to play the hand you are dealt in life right?. The bedwetting can be controlled (to an extent) by simply not drinking anything after 6:00 in the evening.

Well, like you said, it's probably best that we discuss the details by email. Do you currently have a messager client or web cam installed and would you feel comfortable with that?.

- Regards, GG

Amigi'sLastStand
07-23-2006, 17:49
No messenger or web cam. That part of the computer age I refuse to embrace.

I am not as concerned about the Tourtette's ( well a 300 lb black guy who thinks he had jus been called a n----- would test my jjs skills!:D ). The not drinking after 6pm is REAL problem while hiking. Hydration starts three days before any endeavor, and keeping it up is the key to a successful LT hiking experience. If Fla, it is even more so. We're gonna have to come up with a plan on that one. But as always, no worries. There is a solution somewhere.

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 19:01
No messenger or web cam. That part of the computer age I refuse to embrace.

I am not as concerned about the Tourtette's ( well a 300 lb black guy who thinks he had jus been called a n----- would test my jjs skills!:D ). The not drinking after 6pm is REAL problem while hiking. Hydration starts three days before any endeavor, and keeping it up is the key to a successful LT hiking experience. If Fla, it is even more so. We're gonna have to come up with a plan on that one. But as always, no worries. There is a solution somewhere.

Yeah, that 300LB black guy did'nt look like anyone I wanted to tangle with (even on my best day!). As far as the drinking after 6:00PM is concerned, I imagine my body would be so dehydrated from the Florida heat that any extra water I drank after 6:00PM would already be absorbed and therefore, a non issue. Well, at least that's what I'm counting on:D

- GG

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 19:06
YIKES!!!...here's a video of what could have happened to me on that one fateful day at the post-office:eek:...(Media Player 10 + IE 6.0 Required - double-click for full-size)...

http://www.funlol.com/funpages/pizza-parlor-fight.html

Old Wolf
01-21-2008, 05:46
Hey everyone,
I am going to hike the trail for the first time this year (2008). I believe that 50% or more of the hike is a mental battle as well as physical, and I believe the battle starts as soon as you make the decision to attempt it. You will get all types of negative feedback from family, friends, outfitter staff, etc... I am preparing myself mentally as well as physically for this adventure. My friend, adventures just don't come to you, you have to make them happen. You have to be willing to go to any and all lengths. You will only fail if you don't attempt to do it. I say this for me as well as you.

Jim Adams
01-21-2008, 11:42
Mikeb2b,
Good luck...it is mostly mental. hang in there and just think things thru when the mental side hits.

geek

88BlueGT
01-22-2008, 01:31
YIKES!!!...here's a video of what could have happened to me on that one fateful day at the post-office:eek:...(Media Player 10 + IE 6.0 Required - double-click for full-size)...

http://www.funlol.com/funpages/pizza-parlor-fight.html

That aggravates me to no end. If I seen someone getting beaten senseless for no apparent reason there is no doubt in my mind I would get involved immediatly. 100lbs, 200lbs or 400lbs... black/white/purple/yellow. I would jump in and be throwing firsts. I guess I'm no better than the guy doing the beating but I just couldn't sit there and watch that and act like its OK.