PDA

View Full Version : Smallest sizes of stuff sacks I can get away with?

Michele
07-21-2006, 12:21
I'm down to purchasing stuff sacks. I'm going w/the Equinox ultralite silnylon sacks. I'm just not sure which sizes to get. Here's the gear I'm planning on putting in them...any suggestions or what you do would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Sack #1. WM 6' Ultralite Bag + silk liner + dry camp clothes--WM website says stuff size of bag is 7 x 13--plus top & bottom midweight patagonia thermals & wool socks-- Should I really try to compress my bag that much everyday?

Sack #2. Hiking clothes--the normal amount for a March 15 NOBO start (the most I'll probably store at one time is 1 lightweight thermal top & bottom, 2 pair socks, Puffball vest, hat, mittens, zip-off bottoms of my pants, and maybe set of Frogg Toggs---but I might store these alone in top of pack for quick access

Sack #3. Food/snacks--For planning purposes, I want to have room for 5 days worth

I thought all other misc. gear (first aid, 550 cord, aqua mira, headlamp, etc.) I'd just put into ziplock baggies, that way I can see through them.

The website I'm probably going to purchase through is (lists all sizes as well): http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/EQ1000

Thanks again everyone!!! :D

Footslogger
07-21-2006, 12:26
I use 3 of the 7 X 15" sized ones (different colors). One for sleeping bag, one for clothes and one for food. They fit well laying horizontally across my pack. I also have one of the smaller ones that I use to store my snacks near the top of my pack.

Hope that helps.

'Slogger

Just Jeff
07-21-2006, 12:27
Save yourself $75 and make a few of your own. Customize them to your sizes. Seriously - these are the simplest projects and thru-hiker.com even has kits.

Michele
07-21-2006, 12:32
Save yourself $75 and make a few of your own. Customize them to your sizes. Seriously - these are the simplest projects and thru-hiker.com even has kits.

Do these kits require you to sew?

Michele
07-21-2006, 12:36
Do these kits require you to sew?

Hey JJ, I just checked out the instructions and had horrible flashbacks of my Home Ec class I almost failed because I couldn't get the sewing thing down. :eek:

Whereas I am in awe of those people that make most of their gear, I think I'm going to have to cough up the $ for these things. Thanks so much for the suggestion, however.

Two Speed
07-21-2006, 12:38
Do these kits require you to sew?Unfortunately, yes.

GlazeDog
07-21-2006, 13:19
Michele--
For the sleeping bag I would go larger, not because smaller wouldn't work (especially with the high grade of down in the WM bags), but because larger will allow the bag to expand when the pack starts to empty of food in between towns. This will be better for the down's life and also will aid in pack stabilization as the WM bag inside will somewhat expand to fill up your pack space.
I used 2 bags. One for inside the pack for the big food storage and a much, much smaller second one on the outside of the pack or in the lid for the afternoons snacks while hiking.
Also about the equinox sil stuff sacks as bear bags. The didn't hold out all the H2O. Water seeped in through the opening or stretched seems or somewhere. I would recommend getting atleast one, if not all, Sea To Summit Ultra Sil Dry Sacks--very light, completely waterproof. This info is based on real field experience with both products.

Good luck--
GlazeDog

Michele
07-21-2006, 13:38
Michele--
For the sleeping bag I would go larger, not because smaller wouldn't work (especially with the high grade of down in the WM bags), but because larger will allow the bag to expand when the pack starts to empty of food in between towns. This will be better for the down's life and also will aid in pack stabilization as the WM bag inside will somewhat expand to fill up your pack space.
I used 2 bags. One for inside the pack for the big food storage and a much, much smaller second one on the outside of the pack or in the lid for the afternoons snacks while hiking.
Also about the equinox sil stuff sacks as bear bags. The didn't hold out all the H2O. Water seeped in through the opening or stretched seems or somewhere. I would recommend getting atleast one, if not all, Sea To Summit Ultra Sil Dry Sacks--very light, completely waterproof. This info is based on real field experience with both products.

Good luck--
GlazeDog

Hi Glaze, so if all of my food is in ziplock baggies, will a little water seepage be a concern? Thanks for the link, I'm checking them out right now.

Time To Fly 97
07-21-2006, 16:12
Hi Michele,
I use OR Aquaseal bags. They have seam taping and I've never had one leak. They should not be exposed to high heat (clothes dryer). I think they are a little heavier than sil/nylon, so that may be a concern. I use freezer ziplocks for food - they are more waterproof. (i.e. dinners in seperate ziplocks all inside a gallon "dinners" ziplock)

Happy hiking!

TTF

Alligator
07-21-2006, 16:45
I wouldn't plan on storing my Frogg Toggs in a sack with my warm clothes. They eventually get damp and wet. Two of my packs have Kangaroo pockets that receive damp items. The other pack I just plan on keeping it on the outside should the jacket get wet. I always think of my rain gear as a wet item and pack it that way, so it's always in the same place.

Spock
07-21-2006, 20:23
I agree with Michelle.... large stuff sacks for sleeping bags have lots of advantages.

Footslogger
07-22-2006, 10:28
If the stuff sack is larger than necessary it will just end up getting compressed anyway as you squeeze it down into your pack. What I have found is that a 7 x 15" stuff sack accomodates the average 20 degree bag and fits well into the typical backpack.

'Slogger

GlazeDog
07-22-2006, 15:03
Michele--
Ziplocks add waterproofness and organize, but (as with most things) come in different varieties and QUALITY. Go with name brand freezer ziplock bags. These things, to my surprise, were easily found on the trail at Dollar General type stores. First purchased by me in Hiawassee, GA----my second stop nobo on the AT.
The OR product is heavier for the roughly similar money AND you can't get more waterproof, than waterproof.

Happy Trails--
GlazeDog

Michele
07-23-2006, 00:08
Thanks everyone. I went ahead and ordered my stuff sacks after considering the wonderful advice I got here, and I figure if they don't work quite right, I've got time to send them back and exchange....March 15 is still a few months away! :)

firefly
07-28-2006, 07:21
Hey Glazedog...what is your exact setup when you use to sea2summitt bags. I have been using one for my bag and a seperate one for my clothes and nothing else-not even a pack liner. Has this worked for you in the field in the rain??

GlazeDog
07-29-2006, 09:58
firefly--
Your setup is similar, but I use a poncho for rain protection while hiking so this acts as s pack cover. But I do take the pack off frequently with no ill-effects.
I also use a small 1L for 1st aid and another for TP. I know a luxury.

Happy trails--
GlazeDog

firefly
07-30-2006, 10:02
Wet toilet paper???? NOOOOOOoooooooooo :o

Do you by chance use your poncho for shelter too??

GlazeDog
08-01-2006, 19:14
firefly--
I'm experiemnting with using a 3.8oz. silk liner while using the poncho as a blanket--I've got the waterproof breathable Sierra Designs Hurricane Poncho (10 oz.) Of course having no breathability axes the sil-nylon versions for this purpose--they're retired to the gear bins for now. I decided to try this setup over shelter usage as the Hurricane Poncho just isn't big enough to safely cover my 6'6" self from the elements. I'm using the Gossamer Gear SpinnSolo Tarp (6.2 oz.) for shelter. I carry the shelter but leave the sleeping bag at home. I save around 6.0 oz. to 10.0 oz weight here depending on bag/quilt.
I know this is XUL and maybe only good for summer+ use, but I can't stop myself. ;-)

See ya--
GlazeDog