PDA

View Full Version : Rhetoric

Alligator
07-21-2006, 13:23
I would like to make a suggestion that we tone down some of the rhetoric that can escalate confrontation in the dog threads by switching from "dog lovers" and "dog haters" and using instead pro-dog and anti-dog.

Very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Skidsteer
07-21-2006, 18:39
I would like to make a suggestion that we tone down some of the rhetoric that can escalate confrontation in the dog threads by switching from "dog lovers" and "dog haters" and using instead pro-dog and anti-dog.

Very much appreciated.

Thanks.

That might help, Alligator. In time it might even evolve into PD and AD.

Nightwalker
07-21-2006, 23:58
That might help, Alligator. In time it might even evolve into PD and AD.
ADHD and PDHD.

:sun

Ramble~On
07-22-2006, 00:34
Yes, Now lets move on to topics like GUNS & CELL PHONES.

WE could call the anti gun hikers AGH
The pro gun hikers could be PGH
Before long someone might become a PGHADHPCH

Uncle Silly
07-22-2006, 02:53
can I be the first AG-PG-PDH? as long as i've got the gun (and the dog) i'll be anti-gun...

superman
12-29-2006, 07:44
How bout we all gang up on the guy who stands on the top of mountains making call after call on his cell phone yelling into it "guess where I'm calling from."

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-29-2006, 08:03
Ironically enough, I've had 3 people PM me in the past few days that said they are afraid to post anything publically on WB (anywhere) because they were flamed in the Dog forum.

While I rarely participate in the forum (don't own a dog and don't want to), I'm not anti-dog or pro-dog. I'm pro responsible ownership and well cared for dogs. The flaming discourages comments from dog owners to other dog owners about how to care for and handle dogs while hiking.

stumpknocker
12-29-2006, 08:29
Ironically enough, I've had 3 people PM me in the past few days that said they are afraid to post anything publically on WB (anywhere) because they were flamed in the Dog forum.

While I rarely participate in the forum (don't own a dog and don't want to), I'm not anti-dog or pro-dog. I'm pro responsible ownership and well cared for dogs. The flaming discourages comments from dog owners to other dog owners about how to care for and handle dogs while hiking.

Well said Frolicking Dinosaur!! :)

Frosty
12-29-2006, 10:59

Very much appreciated.

Thanks.Excellent idea. WB could even go one step further and make two forums, one for people who intend to hike with a dog and need advice from other dog-owner hikers (sort of a canine straight-forward forum with strict moderation), and an open-to-any-dog-topic forum where people can debate whether or not dogs belong on the trail.

dixicritter
12-29-2006, 11:04
Notice

This forum was created for the purpose of discussing how to responsibly hike the trail with a dog. The purpose of the forum is not to debate the whole topic of dogs on the trail. If your aim is to do so, please go to The general forum or poll forum or something. Otherwise stay away from these threads.

That said, if you disagree with dogs on the trail, it is probably because of unaware or irresponsible owners. The purpose of this forum was to try to fix that. The hope is dog hikers can pass on to each other the things that make the rare, good trail dogs a good trail dog. If more trail dogs benefit from good owners, then maybe there will be less problems in the long run.

If a dog owner that plans to bring their dog to the trail comes here and learns all the informal rules; the health, safety, and first aid issues they must consider; the impact a hike can have on a dog, the impact a dog can have on a hike; the equipment and pack weight issues to consider; effects of secondary predation, disease, and other impacts of wildlife on the dog and the dog on the wildlife; and the overall impact of the dog hiker on other hikers and even other dogs - The hope is that a dog owner can participate in the forum and learn all the informal rules and how hard it can really be to hike with a pet responsibly, and then allow them to make a personal, informed decision to either not hike with a pet or to go on the trail armed with the skills, knowledge, and attitude to do it correctly.

All that said, this forum came about this way because it had to. Every time the topic of how to act responsibly, the thread deteriorated into another battle against dog lovers against the supposed "dog haters". So if you plan to post here, post advice about how to backpack responsibly with the pet as a response to the question or topic. Due to past experiences the threads will be monitored closely for failure to comply. Abusers will loose the ability to read or post on this forum.

Enough said!

Frosty
12-29-2006, 11:39
Enough said!And well said. Excellent policy.

I'm just not certain that saying it without enforcing it was very effective. Most of us were unaware of this Notice.

I agree 100% that removing the posting privileges of disrupters in special forums (dog, female, straightforward) will quickly restore and maintain order. (Abusers will loose the ability to read or post on this forum.)

I just don't envy your job, and am amazed at your patience. I would have tossed half the people on WB by now, including myself. But then, that's why I'd never make a good moderator.

superman
12-29-2006, 15:03
All this sounds good but my experience has been that before my thru-hike I'd sought information about hiking with my dog. I was flamed so bad I gave it up. A guy I met by chance knew some things about hiking with his dog and shared it with me. I spent a lot of 1999 training Winter and myself for hiking the AT on the Long Trail. While a lot of what we did was not used on the AT it was a very valuable exercise. I had a great thru-hike....maybe the best ever. I went on line trying to share some of what had happened and what I'd learned but was flamed off the site. Winter and I have hiked the AT, LT and sections of the FT, PCT, CDT and others. Each trail has things that are worth passing on to people before they try to hike them with a dog but it is difficult the way the information flow is stifled on these hiking sites. I try not to take it too serious but the flaming is a distraction. Winter and I have already done it. Our hiking days are over. It's been great. I never once encountered the anti-dog feelings on any trail that are so venomous on the hiker sites. I never encountered a problem on the trail that I couldn't deal with. I visit the hiker sites for a while...that is until I have my fill for the pettiness and silliness. You have some people who try to offer sound, respocible advise and it gets jumped all over with ignorance. It seems like it would be difficult for a newby to seperate the wheat from the chaft. My earlier off handed remark about everone jumping on cell phone users was just my way of saying that a lot of what goes on here is just flaming what ever someone else says for the sake of flaming. Some of these people just need to take a breath and lighten up.

Alligator
12-29-2006, 16:38
The moderators for this forum are The Goat and Frieden. Any problem posts should be brought to their attention or to admin.

SteveJ
12-29-2006, 16:41
Good info, superman. All of which is why I advise people wanting serious advice about hiking with their dog to also post to the yahoo traildog group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Traildog/

It is well-moderated, has folks who get on the trail with their dogs, and generally provides good and timely feedback (current thread there relates to what methods hikers/backpackers use to pack out their puppy poo).... There don't seem to be many long-distance hikers there, which is one reason this forum is good on WB. But it's a resource that those who enjoy hiking with their dog should be aware of.

I appreciate what Sgt Rock, Dixiecritter and the other moderators do here - I can't think of a group that would be more independent minded (who the h** are you to tell me what I can't say!?) than those who like to walk long distances in the woods! I think the guidelines for posting to this forum are well-stated, and provide the flexibility for even those who are AD to provide constructive criticism without flaming. I think this is an invaluable resource for those who do want to hike the AT with their dogs. I'm also pretty impatient with those who don't hike well with their dogs - it seems like we're approaced on every hike by an unleashed dog. Hopefully having a resource like this will help improve the situation.....

Happy New Year!

Steve

All this sounds good but my experience has been that before my thru-hike I'd sought information about hiking with my dog. I was flamed so bad I gave it up. A guy I met by chance knew some things about hiking with his dog and shared it with me. I spent a lot of 1999 training Winter and myself for hiking the AT on the Long Trail. While a lot of what we did was not used on the AT it was a very valuable exercise. I had a great thru-hike....maybe the best ever. I went on line trying to share some of what had happened and what I'd learned but was flamed off the site. Winter and I have hiked the AT, LT and sections of the FT, PCT, CDT and others. Each trail has things that are worth passing on to people before they try to hike them with a dog but it is difficult the way the information flow is stifled on these hiking sites. I try not to take it too serious but the flaming is a distraction. Winter and I have already done it. Our hiking days are over. It's been great. I never once encountered the anti-dog feelings on any trail that are so venomous on the hiker sites. I never encountered a problem on the trail that I couldn't deal with. I visit the hiker sites for a while...that is until I have my fill for the pettiness and silliness. You have some people who try to offer sound, respocible advise and it gets jumped all over with ignorance. It seems like it would be difficult for a newby to seperate the wheat from the chaft. My earlier off handed remark about everone jumping on cell phone users was just my way of saying that a lot of what goes on here is just flaming what ever someone else says for the sake of flaming. Some of these people just need to take a breath and lighten up.