PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Blisters

Time To Fly 97
07-21-2006, 14:04
Hi all,

My first thread :sun Everyone I talk with seems to have a different way of treating or preventing blisters. I have a system that works well for me...but I always reserve the right to be smarter tomorrow. What does everyone else do?

Prevention: Vaseline on feet prior to hiking

Treatment: Cut a donut of moleskin. Please the open center part over the blister. Put a dab of neosporin on the blister itself. Cover with duct tape. 2 minutes.

Happy hiking!

TTF

jazilla
07-21-2006, 16:03
I never use Vaseline. I use a dress sock. When I feel a hot spot I stop and apply duct tape. Works for me.

blackbishop351
07-21-2006, 16:45
Same here, but I wear a liner sock and pre-tape. And I use nylon first-aid tape instead of duct tape. It's not as hard to get off later.

berninbush
07-21-2006, 17:53
Teva sandals, no socks.

mweinstone
07-21-2006, 19:48
first cut square with circle in middle just larger than the blister. second, cut one or more peices in the same maner but with smaller and smaller holes as to make a cone of protection usually with 3 layers and 4 for quarter size or larger. no ointment. only dryness can heal. and air is an antiseptic. and infection comes only if you dont watch and clean and use alot of time and effort and moleskin. you should start out with a square foot of the crap.by damascus you can say goodby to all but the minnor blister brought on by raceing to fast.

Phreak
07-21-2006, 19:49
Wrightsock Coolmesh (sock w/ liner)... never had a blister since I started wearing them.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-22-2006, 02:48
Two pairs of socks, one thin, one thick. No blisters here. Soldier's trick.

Peaks
07-22-2006, 07:49
Prevention: First choice is to get your feet well conditioned to the boots. If in doubt, then liner socks and a good hiking sock (Throlo's, smartwool, etc.). There is debate if liners are really needed with a good hiking sock, but it certainly can't hurt.

Treatment: The blister pads list Spenco Second Skin. Dry the area with alcohol before applying the blister pads. I used to use moleskin and other products, but switched.

Peaks
07-22-2006, 07:57
Prevention: First choice is to get your feet well conditioned to the boots. If in doubt, then liner socks and a good hiking sock (Throlo's, smartwool, etc.). There is debate if liners are really needed with a good hiking sock, but it certainly can't hurt.

Treatment: The blister pads list Spenco Second Skin. Dry the area with alcohol before applying the blister pads. I used to use moleskin and other products, but switched.

Topcat
07-23-2006, 11:49
Remember, blisters are caused by friction so properly fitted shoes or boots and good quality socks or a must. The other good advice i saw above is to treat hot spots as soon as you feel them. If you are paying attention to your feet, you can avoid the dreaded blisters.

Panzer1
07-23-2006, 16:49
I've tried moleskin and it never stayed in place for long, especially in the summer it would come off quickly. I switched to duck tape which lasts a lot longer but will eventually come off too. I put the duck tape on before the blister gets bad. Prevention is the key. The shinny surface helps prevent friction with the sock. Put something over the hot spot to keep the duck tape from sticking to the hot spot itself. Larger pieces of duck tape stay in place better than small pieces.

I've tried Spenco Second Skin but that doesn't stay on for long either while hiking. But I think it is feels good when placed on a blister.

Most blister products are not designed for long distance hikers. There are designed for people who are just walking short distance, like from the car to the house. That is why their adhesive is not very strong. If they had strong adhesives, they would be difficult to remove, average people would not buy them, which is about 99% of the market, and average people want something that can be removed easily.

Duck tape is not made for blisters but it is made to hold to whatever it is on. The adheisive is very strong, which is why long distance hikers use it. It does not easily come off. Which is a good trait.

I am now of the opinion that blisters heal faster when kept moist, which is why I think Spenco Second Skin is good even though you can't really hike a long distance with this product on. Second Skin keeps the blister moist. However, you could use it on zero days, or if you are getting off the trail for a weekend to let blisters heal up some.

I am of the opinion that when blisters begin to form you must do something to stop them from getting worse, not just be stuborn and keep on hiking. Blisters do reduce the enjoyment of a hike and make you wish you were somewhere else.

Panzer

Chalumeau
07-23-2006, 19:05
I too find that the adhesive on moleskin does not keep the moleskin on my feet once they sweat; however, as I come out in an allergic rash to strong adhesives (like duct tape) I have had to come up with another sollution. If I apply a coating of New Skin (liquid bandage) and let it dry BEFORE putting on the moleskin, the latter adheres much more succesfully even in hot weather and I have managed to hike an entire day without having to replace the moleskin.