PDA

View Full Version : Boars!?!?!?!?!?! Wild Boars !?!?!?!?!

adh24
07-21-2006, 14:54
After reading the thread in the Parks' forum I got to thinking about Wild Boars, having never encountered one. What kind of damage can they administer to a hiker if attacked? What things should you do when you run into one? I know this has been talked about at great lengths with bears but what about Boars. Just a thought.:-?

TN_Hiker
07-21-2006, 15:12
The tusks can mess you up, not to mention they are not known for their good nature. If I encounter one I'm going to be looking for a tree to climb.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2006, 15:13
They're a non-issue. Your chances of seeing one are slim. If you do see one just say "hi".

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-21-2006, 15:14
Boars mostly ignore you when you see them and avoid you in areas where they are hunted. The only time I ever had a problem with them was about 25 yrs ago. Several young males got rowdy - chasing each other and dueling - and wrecked my tent. I had ample time to climb a tree to avoid them as they were not interested in me, but in fighting each other. It was mating season and I'm fairly sure the one not involved in the fighting was a sow in heat.

Ramble~On
07-21-2006, 15:32
If you encounter boar on the trail it is because for whatever reason they have not sensed you, seen you, heard you and smelled you. When they realize that you are there they will disappear.....
So if you are lucky enough to see some....take a good look and if you can get some pictures.....please post them here on WB.

An encounter with boar while highly unlikely would be bad for you if you were knocked off your feet. What damage would they do ?
Well, are you familiar with Monty Python ? if so you may remember a certain "RABBIT" :D

Some boar manage to live long enough to get pretty good sized. They have tusks and while generally you will only notice the bottom tusks there are also top tusks....put those together and you have a mighty sharp set of metal shears.....and a good head swung poke with the bottom tusk would cause a very deep puncture wound at a minimum.....
But.....you don't read many stories like "Hiker mauled by Boar"
It could happen...but the chances are slight enough to warrant worrying about other things like ticks, mice getting your food bag and government officials turning your forest into a stump field.

Your only concern should be getting between mama and her piglets...but the chances of you doing that without her knowing you're there way ahead of time is just about nill.

Wonder
07-21-2006, 19:12
My buddy saw a couple of them really close this year, and I saw one at a distance. Guess where we were.................Good ol' GSMNP!

general
07-21-2006, 20:17
i had a sow with piglets back me up a few steps once. hardest part was trying not to fall down running backwards with a backpack on. that was not on the AT however.

//V\\èå†b壣
07-22-2006, 15:28
Another BOARING story....

One dark and moonless night in the Smokies, I woke up in the wee hours to a call of nature...

This particular shelter was enclosed with chain link fencing. After fumbling with the gate latch, I stepped outside and pushed my way into the brush to perform my duty. Now apparently the spot i had chosen was also the spot where a boar had chosen to root for his midnight snack. The rest of the events happened very quickly, but having surprised the boar, it charged. With hoofs thundering behind me, I raced back to the shelter, barely managing to latch the gate before that boar bounced off the chain link with a noise that roused the entire shelter.

SGT Rock
07-23-2006, 03:12
what is that user name?

jlb2012
07-23-2006, 06:55
SGT Rock its a half arsed way of spelling Meatball

//V\\èå†b壣
07-23-2006, 12:29
LMAO, half arsed? I wanna be an arse whole! And pleased to meet ya folks:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-23-2006, 12:36
LOL Welcome to the jungle, //V\\èå†b壣. You're going to fit right in.

SGT Rock
07-23-2006, 12:55
Ohhhhh, now I see it. Well OK then. Nice to meat you (get it). :rolleyes: