PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Vapor Ki (& Vapor Trail)

themooseisloose
07-21-2006, 15:03
It's my understanding that the GG Vapor Ki has a little bit more stable framesheet than other ul packs. So do most people still use the sleeping pad inside to give additional support?

Alligator
07-21-2006, 15:35
It's my understanding that the GG Vapor Ki has a little bit more stable framesheet than other ul packs. So do most people still use the sleeping pad inside to give additional support?I felt my VT handled very well over a weeks use and I didn't have a sleeping pad for support. I would think it might improve it some if you wanted to though, but don't think it is necessary.

gumball
07-21-2006, 16:32
I have carried 30 lbs or less with my vapor ki over a couple hundred miles of section hiking this year with no problems or any additional need for sippet. It's a heat pack. My husba d has the vapor trail with the same results. It might be a different story if you load beyond the recommended weight capacity...? Don't plan on trying that! Happy hiking.

gumball
07-21-2006, 16:35
I have carried 30 lbs or less with my vapor ki over a couple hundred miles of section hiking this year with no problems or any additional need for support. It's a great pack. My husband has the vapor trail with the same results. It might be a different story if you load beyond the recommended weight capacity...? Don't plan on trying that! Happy hiking.

Phreak
07-21-2006, 16:42
The Vapor Trail has worked great for me when the weight has been under 30 pounds with no additional support. This pack rides horrible when loaded over 30 pounds. At least that is my experience.

blindeye
07-21-2006, 19:47
i was thinking of the gg vapor for a thru in 2008 i was thinking my pack weight was going to be 25 to 30 lbs. if i went over by accident to 35lbs is the vapor going to be really sloppy? ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Kerosene
07-22-2006, 09:18
The GG Vapor and Nimbus series have integrated frame sheets and were not designed to utilize a sleeping pad to provide support.

Blindeye, if you think that your pack weight will balloon above 30 pounds for more than a day or two, then you might want to take a look at the Nimbus Ozone. The Ozone has a sturdier frame sheet that can theoretically support up to a 40-pound load, at the penalty of an extra pound of pack weight. I purchased the Ozone primarily for the extra support, even though my pack weight rarely gets above 28 pounds, and I've been very satisfied. Whatever you do, get The Lid also, if for no other reason than to provide a pocket for wallet and quick-to-access stuff.

gumball
07-22-2006, 13:23
i was thinking of the gg vapor for a thru in 2008 i was thinking my pack weight was going to be 25 to 30 lbs. if i went over by accident to 35lbs is the vapor going to be really sloppy? ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I agree with Kerosene, if you think you will have problems consistently keeping the weight down, you might want to try something different. If I am going to carry more weight for some reason, I use my heavier Osprey. I've learned not to do that on long distance treks, but for trips under 30 or 40 miles, when maybe I want to carry a few luxuries, I sacrifice the weight for the extras.

I'm sure when I've resupplied, I've carried a little over 30 without knowing it--those first days with a full pack are always yucky for me. I am also a 5'4" 115 lb soak-and-wet woman over 40, and I can't afford to carry extra weight for long distances. It hurts and takes the fun out of my trip...leads to blisters, too.

You have to do what feels good to you!

Happy trails.