PDA

View Full Version : Pillow

FLHiker
07-21-2006, 18:59
Forgive me if this is redundent- but I really struggle w/o a good pillow - what are some of y'alls set-ups and ideas?

Thanks.

Wonder
07-21-2006, 19:03
I had the same problem. I got a therma-rest pillow case. YOu just stuff all of your clothes inside, and it makes a nice soft little pillow!

TJ aka Teej
07-21-2006, 19:41
I have an inflatable pillow, bought for 1$ at Target a few years ago. 1OZ!

Big Dawg
07-21-2006, 19:45
http://www.luxurylite.com/pillowindex.html

Comfy-(yea, there can be some crinkly noise, but doesn't bother me) :D, light-(4oz) :D, packs small-(size of a soda can) :D

Bundled up clothes/etc. in a stuff sack just doesn't do it for me. The luxurylite pillow is worth the 4oz in my system!

Ewker
07-21-2006, 20:40
I take a down pillow. It is the size of the ones you get on a plane. It packs down real small.

fiddlehead
07-21-2006, 21:14
I use my pack which is empty by the time i sleep. rolled up and comfy. I could do without it probably as i'm too tired for much to keep me up by the time i lay down.

Smile
07-21-2006, 22:39
You can stuff your xtra clothes into any bag, shirt or pant leg, a few creative twists and you've got yourself a comfy pillow without taking any extra weight along. Sometimes I stuff leaves under my tent if my head is in a low spot ;-)

sliderule
07-21-2006, 23:25
I use the pillow case from an airline-type pillow. (Measures about 10" x 14".) Installed a couple buttons and button holes. I stuff my goose down jacket in the pillow case.

Alligator
07-21-2006, 23:51
I sewed a pillow pocket onto my sleeping bag and stuff it with extra clothes.

BigToe
07-22-2006, 00:16
My clothes stuff bag or my fleece pullover stuffed with spare clothes works fine for me.

jlb2012
07-22-2006, 07:02
I just use clothes in a stuff sack but if I were to use a single purpose pillow I would probably use StoveStomper's inflatable type: http://www.cloudwalkersbasecamp.com/backpacking_pillow.html

FLHiker
07-22-2006, 08:03

Comfy-(yea, there can be some crinkly noise, but doesn't bother me) :D, light-(4oz) :D, packs small-(size of a soda can) :D

Bundled up clothes/etc. in a stuff sack just doesn't do it for me. The luxurylite pillow is worth the 4oz in my system!

Yup - the cloths trick doesn't do it for me - but this is just what I had in my mind - just wasn't sure if anyone made such a thing. Thanks all for your advice!

ARambler
07-22-2006, 08:16
I use a 2 L Platypus with a push pull cap. I put my cleanest t-shirt on it so I'm not directly on the plastic. Think I got the idea here.
Rambler

Footslogger
07-22-2006, 10:31
I need something under my head when I sleep but I don't like carrying something extra in my pack that is only used as a pillow. I generally carry a long sleeve nylon button down shirt with me when I hike. I take that and wrap it around my clothes bag and Voile ...I have a pillow.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-22-2006, 11:27
We have a homemade sleep system similar to the Big Agnes except it holds two sleeping pads of different sizes / brands and we use a quilt. I sewed a 'pillowcase' to the top of our mat holders.They are sown on three sides (open toward our shoulders), shaped to form 4" pillows and have about 1" of poly-fiber fill in the top. We stuff them with clothing and the 1" poly-fiber makes it soft. The tops were made from an old poly-knit T-shirt.

Lilred
07-22-2006, 11:30
If I'm not using my tent, I use it, minus poles and stakes, as my pillow. Works great! When using my tent, I use my clothes stuff sack.

paddler
07-22-2006, 19:25
if you use a dry bag for your sleeping bag like one of thr new sea to summit bags roll it up 3-4 times and you have an air pillow

Doctari
07-22-2006, 19:50
I carry a pillow case made of fleece, it's about 8" x 6", BH; I stuffed it with sleeping bag stuff sack & a sweater vest & my "sleeping hat". Now I just put in my stuff sack & "sleeping hat" it's sufficent.

BH = Before Hammocking.

Doctari.

karo
07-22-2006, 19:53
I use the Thermarest pillowcase and Stovestomper's inflatible pillow like HOI
mentioned. I told Kevin (SS) about it on our last trip together. He was a happy camper for sure. I also used his design for a pot gripper. I still have some material left for more pot grippers. I need to get another pillow while the summer gear is still in stores for the water wings to use for a back-up pilow. I plan on taking this pillow on my thru hike next year.

mike!
07-23-2006, 04:35
i also had this problem for a while, always searching, i started just using the extra clothes system, but after a few cold nights in which i wore all my clothes to sleep and ending up pillowless. i tried a few flexair pillows (you can get them at BPL.com) but they are not as durable as i'd like, i however have had good luck with wine bladders, some are better then others, but i've never had a pop yet, but depending on kind, the nubs get in the way so im going to try that inflatable water wing pillow and see how it goes.
mike!

Heater
07-23-2006, 09:09
A the end of the day my ass is draggin so far behind me I usually just gather it all up and wrap it in a T-Shirt. :D

Only problem is when it deflates in the middle of the night. :eek: :eek: :eek:

FLHiker
07-23-2006, 09:25

Just ordered this one Big Dawg. I too suffer from not being able to sleep on my back - at all! - So I hope (& think) this will work. Thanks for the advice.
Jeff

Blissful
07-23-2006, 20:22
Pillows for me are my luxury item. Because of my back, I need a couple and I wanted them light and small. Tried the Cocoon travel pillow and liked it. The down version is very light, but I went with synthetic. Packs into the size of a can of soda roughly.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39180139

vaporjourney
07-23-2006, 21:52
is that pillow very lofty blissful? The picture of the Down one makes it look really slim, like sleeping on a worn out pillow. And those do nothing to help the neck. I like how lightweight that is, and its not as expensive as the other posted on here.

Big Dawg
07-24-2006, 09:26
Just ordered this one Big Dawg. I too suffer from not being able to sleep on my back - at all! - So I hope (& think) this will work. Thanks for the advice.
Jeff

No problem,,,, hope you enjoy!!

Seeker
07-24-2006, 14:09
i sewed a small piece of fleece to one side of my sleeping bag stuff sack (don't like the feel of the silnylon on my face/neck on humid nights), and just stuff it with whatever i have laying around (socks, fleece jacket, etc).

Alligator
07-24-2006, 14:48
is that pillow very lofty blissful? The picture of the Down one makes it look really slim, like sleeping on a worn out pillow. And those do nothing to help the neck. ...I have the opposite experience. I only sleep with a worn out pillow, any pillow with any loft gives me neck cramps.

vaporjourney
08-01-2006, 09:56
anyone else just use a water bladder filled with water or air? I'd like to try water wings though b/c they could be slightly wider. I think the water bladder is more comfortable that a stuff sack full of clothing. Just cover the bladder with a shirt, and its a decent pillow.

hikerjohnd
08-01-2006, 10:08
I have the Luxlite pillow - love it but could do without the crinkle noises. I recently read a thread where using a bladder was mentioned - I think I'll give that a try on my next trip.

Time To Fly 97
08-01-2006, 10:10
I use a MSR Dromedary bag for a water (which is indestructable). Just before I go to sleep, I let some of the air out so that it is a comfortable firmness, then just drape a couple layers of a fleece jacket over it. This is a comfortable pillow, requires no extra gear or weight than I normally carry, and it offers a couple advantages:

1. If I have to get up in the night, I can put on a semi-warmed fleece.

2. I never have to worry about my water freezing if it is a really cold night.

3. Fleece is wicking, insulating and soft - great for a pillow!

Happy hiking!

TTF