PDA

View Full Version : I Talked To The City Editor

undergroundnathan
07-22-2006, 11:00
Well ysterday I talked to the city editor of the la crosse Tribune,in la crosse WI.I went in to see if they would print a story on the hikikng ive done,and my atempt at a through hike next year.I was persistent,I stoped in the office a couple times,couldnt get hold of him,called a few times during the day and no luck.Finaly at four oclock I went in, kind of late I didnt think he talk to me,but there he was ,and he had time. We went into one of the staff rooms,He shoke my hand,and we sat down. I opened up my backpack,I took out pictures of the trail and freinds of the trail.Then I took out the copies of my posts and the replys to my posts,And a print out to WE MOVE,the pepole that does awareness of ,Tardavedysknisa a speach imparement caused by medecine,causing nerve damage,which I have. I told him about trail names,how it was a trdadition on the AT to have a trail name,I showed him some of the different trail names.I told him about the trail and how we survive out there and the towns what hikers do when they get to town. I told him if I have a news story it might help urge WE MOVE into giving me there moral support.Plus it would be nice to have suport from the community,I said there might be a chance of raising money.He said your not in it for the money are you,I said no,I said there was gear and shoes I still needed,plus it would be helpfull to have a little extra money for the trip.Every year I end up in a shelter for a month or so because I go home broke,IT would be nice if I could keep that from happening next year.Plus what if I got more money then I needed,well Id give it to WE MOVE.YET If someone wanted to they can give money directly to WE MOVE.We talked a little bit longer,he said how bought we write a story up two monthes before you go.I said I realy shouldnt wate,it will take these seven monthes to get ready,and it would take longer then two monthes for WE MOVE to make a desesion on If to back Me.Well our time was done he shoke my hand again and said he had to talk to a few other pepole about this and he would get back to me,He said have a good hike and Im sure youll complet the trail someday.Well I left,I got a felling Hes not going to do it,So probably Im on my own,By the skin of my teeth,like always. I would like your thoughts on If there is a way to raise money to help me out in the hike,should I do it or should I forget it and do my best with what I have.I like to know what you think of raising money for WE MOVE,well thats it,thank you for your time in reading this. sincerly underground.

Lilred
07-22-2006, 11:45
I think anyone who does their hike for charity is doing a noble thing. If I ever get to do a thru hike, I want to raise money for an orphanage our congregation helps support. I plan on going to business' near the orphanage, other congregations of my church, and individuals to sponsor me so much money per mile. It'll take a lot of leg work on my part, but that is the only way I can see to get it done. I don't plan on using any of the money collected for my hike, as I feel I would literally be taking food out of children's mouths.

You may be in a different situation by working with the We Move organization. Non profits do spend money for operating costs, and may do the same for you as well. How do you plan to obtain donations? You'll need a plan worked out for them when you present it to them.

AdamantiumKid
07-22-2006, 11:56
Nathan, I agree with Lilred on that you should work out a detailed plan on how you want to help WeMove before you contact them about your idea. It's a great idea and I have worked for a non-profit before and know that if you are well planned on your suggestion, they are more likely to take it seriously. And don't feel you have to plan it out alone. There are plenty of people who are willing to help in things like this - especially for such a great cause. I also have a movement disorder so I applaud what you are doing.

strebor
07-22-2006, 13:32
I have allready talked with St. Jude's Children's Hospital. I will be collecting donations and pledges for my through next year.

AdamantiumKid
07-22-2006, 13:37
strebor, if you don't mind chatting about this a bit, could you perhaps PM me or give some contact info so I can find out how you are going to collect pledges/donations? This is something I'd like to do for my thru-hike but am not sure how to do it. Are you doing pledges per mile? Once you contacted St. Jude's did they play a big part in helping you set up a system? Just curious how a thing like that would work for a thru-hike.

AdamantiumKid
07-22-2006, 13:38
Oh, and greetings from a fellow Hoosier!

Pacific Tortuga
07-22-2006, 14:14
Hiking for a noble cause of any kind is admirable,as is for oneself . I plan to give away bandana's with a awareness 'SOS' on it for a cause next year too. I'm sure I do not want to get "preached" to nor do I wish to do that to other hiker's on the Trail. I plan to give the bandana's away for free (most hikers could use a bandana) and if some one asks I'll tell them a little about 'SMS'. I do not want sponsor's or donation's of any kind, just want to show solidarity to a little known infant through adult genetic condition. Good luck to you and all who care about others that may be struggling or less fortunate.

Sly
07-22-2006, 15:10
I think anyone who does their hike for charity is doing a noble thing. If I ever get to do a thru hike, I want to raise money for an orphanage our congregation helps support. I plan on going to business' near the orphanage, other congregations of my church, and individuals to sponsor me so much money per mile.

Although I've been softening my stance, for the most part, I disagree with charity hikes. To me it's like multi-tasking and believe each is worthy of it's own endeavor. There's no reason one can't raise money before or after a hike.

AdamantiumKid
07-22-2006, 15:14
Well if you're going to thru-hike regardless, what's the harm in helping some others while you do it?