PDA

View Full Version : is thru hiking the trail getting harder?

mweinstone
07-22-2006, 18:55
i think not. more support,info,trail work,and with wear i belive its not getting harder. whats your opinion?

BlackCloud
07-22-2006, 19:19
Of course it's getting harder.

Americans have gotten fatter & lazier....

the goat
07-23-2006, 00:34
i think not. more support,info,trail work,and with wear i belive its not getting harder. whats your opinion?

have you thru'ed yet?? :confused:

fiddlehead
07-23-2006, 02:49
Having done at least half the trail in: '77,'89,'91,95,2001,2002. I would say it got easier every time. (more switchbacks, better maintained,bigger and newer shelters, nicer privys, more hostels, more shops catering to hikers and their needs, better blazed, etc.)
Also, along with that, and inflation, the cost keeps going up too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-23-2006, 08:34
The stats on those who start a thru and the percentage that finish a NOBO hike - it has gone from about 17% to 24% in the past few years. This suggest that the additional support services available and better trail maintenance are making the hike easier.

the_iceman
07-23-2006, 14:07
It could be the percentages are going up because of discussion boards like this one and better equipment are putting a higher percentage of prepared hikers on the trail. Plus with the decline in overall numbers the odds are that the less dedicated are the ones not bothering to start anymore.

I wonder how 80 pound packs go over Springer now compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

Also, what is the percentage of repeat hikers? Now what to expect helps increase the chances of success. It has been a few years since a big magazine like National Geographic has done a glossy spread to bring the whim hikers of their couches.

I think we have a greater percentage of better prepared hikers. Food has not gotten that much lighter, and some people never stay in shelters. It is still 2,174 miles so unless more people are slack packing or yellow blazing the effort is still about the same.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-23-2006, 15:44
Ice, I was including the better sources of information in my support services - guess I should have made that clearer. I do think some who might attempt the hike decide not to before starting because they have a much clearer idea of what is actually involved from journals and sites like WB.

mweinstone
07-25-2006, 17:11
attempts. ending in this order,... in my house,...at neels gap,.... and this year to pearisburg. next feb 18th i start again at the falls.and ive hiked 1000 mi in PA. since i was a kid. and i say its not gotten easyer. im not asking if the support system has bettered or if weve lazied,...im asking if the hiking is any easyer regardless of lightened loads.i say the trai stil kicks the crap out of everyone just as easyly as ever. this trail is brutal and will remain so.

Mother's Finest
07-25-2006, 17:19
and number four will be ending in Maine next year.....

peace
mf

Jack Tarlin
07-25-2006, 17:22
Quick response:

*People are starting with better gear, and lighter gear. From the outset, they are carrying less, and will do so for the duration of their hikes. They're getting thru the critical first few weeks of the Trail in better shape with a lot less stres and tribulation.

*There are many more facilities and businesses aimed at them, and they have many more options for rest, relaxation, recuperation. They are very seldom out on the Trail hiking for more than five or six days at a time, unless this is by choice.

*They are going out much better informed about such things as gear, facilities, trail towns, trail angels, places to stay, etc. There are fewer places where they have to "wing it" and figure things out for themselves. Their trips are much more "pre-planned" than they used to be, and people are better prepared about what to do when things go wrong.

In short, it's easier to do the Trail than it used to be. Note......I'm not saying it's easy. It'll never be that. But easier?

Absolutely.

the_iceman
07-25-2006, 19:28
It looks the general opinion is that it is easier to plan and be better prepared, and maybe easier to take time off the trail, but the actually hiking is the just as hard. People in general are just better informed and better prepared. And from the research I have done people may be averaging more zero days than in the past.

That being said -- 2,174 miles is still 2,174 miles. A few new switchbacks have lessened the grade but have added footsteps. Nobody has bulldozed any mountains and massive erosion has not lowered the elevations. It still rains about 1/3 of the time. There are more bears than ever before and maybe more mice. I grew up trail side in Connecticut and we never heard of bears in those parts. Now there are bear warnings at the shelters. Same thing for camp sites in New Hampshire. Does that make it harder??

I guess people will always feel that their year was the hardest, or hottest, or wettest or even the coldest. No one wants their experience, their personal triumph, to be diminished by someone else’s feats. The trail is the trail. Each person approaches their hike differently and they overcome their own challenges. I think to question the difficulty is to diminish the challenge for future hikers.

If the question was “Is it easier to plan and prepare for a thru-hike?” I think most people would say yes.

the_iceman
07-25-2006, 19:51
I guess if one really wanted to stir up a swarm of controversy the question would be “Are today’s thru-hikers better informed and smarter about planning than ever before?”

rickb
07-25-2006, 20:05
Good post, IMB. That said...

To my way of thinking maintaining a sense of discovery and surprise on the AT has got to be harder nowdays.

Choosing to stay in the woods 7 or more nights in a row has also got to be a lot harder.

Hiking the entire Trail (or at least an unbroken line from ME to GA) is probably harder, too.

fiddlehead
07-25-2006, 20:08
You look at a mountain: you can go straight up it or zig zag you way up it.
which is easier? zig zagging you way up is easier in my opinion.
There are many more switchbacks on the trail now than there were back in the 70's when i first started hiking.
That means, the hiking itself has gotten easier.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2006, 20:15
20 years ago I never thought it was tough physically. Still don't think it's tough these days. Logistically it's ten times easier. If you're a fat ass straight off the couch I guess it could be tough. Why start a trip of a lifetime unfit and obese?

rickb
07-25-2006, 20:31
20 years ago I never thought it was tough physically.

Why? Were you on the 180 day B&B plan?

Lone Wolf
07-25-2006, 20:33
Nope. Never stayed in a B & B.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2006, 20:37
Plus I'm tougher than most.

rickb
07-25-2006, 20:42
Short skinny people make the best long distance hikers.

the_iceman
07-25-2006, 21:11
Okay –

I want to prove it is hard.

I am ditching my Jetboil for my Dad's old primus – heavy solid brass and burns kerosene. Of course kerosene will be really hard to find nowadays. Then he had an old pack basket. The most uncomfortable thing I ever carried. Or yeah, the army surplus mummy bag with the wool lining, nice and itchy. Boots, lets see, how about some ten pound a pair leather jobs that turn green with mold when it is wet. I will snow seal the crap out of them. I guess I should eat chipped beef and pemmican. Maybe an oil skin jacket for wet weather. Can you still buy hardtack?

No, come to think of it trying that would just be dumb. I guess we hikers today are smarter.

1Pint
07-25-2006, 21:58
I guess people will always feel that their year was the hardest, or hottest, or wettest or even the coldest. No one wants their experience, their personal triumph, to be diminished by someone else’s feats. The trail is the trail. Each person approaches their hike differently and they overcome their own challenges. I think to question the difficulty is to diminish the challenge for future hikers.

Yeah, and if it's true what most people say about the trail - a successful completion depends mostly upon mental strength, not physical strength - isn't it kinda silly to argue about whether it's harder now?

Or maybe we should form a WB subcommittee to grade each person's performance and the difficulty of the trail that particular year. More days of rain than average or greater # of high temp days or more mosquitos per inch of skin than normal, etc increase the difficulty score while slackpacking and yellowblazing would decrease the score. Each person would then get an id card and a color-coded hat to wear at WB gatherings and Traildays so the rest of us could know exactly how impressed to be (or not.)

the_iceman
07-26-2006, 00:13
Or maybe we should form a WB subcommittee to grade each person's performance and the difficulty of the trail that particular year. More days of rain than average or greater # of high temp days or more mosquitos per inch of skin than normal, etc increase the difficulty score while slackpacking and yellowblazing would decrease the score. Each person would then get an id card and a color-coded hat to wear at WB gatherings and Traildays so the rest of us could know exactly how impressed to be (or not.)

Do we award extra credit if people were less informed and carry poor equipment, carry 80 pound packs, or walk bare foot? Does a person who starts 40 pounds overweight get 20 bonus points. Let’s see, a February start that gets a hiker more below freezing days could get 100 extra points. But is that really fair to the hiker that cannot start until May??

What was the point of this thread anyway?

fiddlehead
07-26-2006, 04:17
someone simply asked if the trail was getting easier or harder. Seems like a pretty simple question to me. The answers got a bit complicated though. Happens quite a lot these days, aye?

Footslogger
07-26-2006, 10:06
someone simply asked if the trail was getting easier or harder. Seems like a pretty simple question to me. The answers got a bit complicated though. Happens quite a lot these days, aye?
======================
Good point!!

Having hiked a lot of the trail prior to my thru in 2003 and several sections since ...I'd have to say that the "TRAIL" itself hasn't changed much in terms of ease/difficulty. Even with the re-routes, the ups/downs are just as hard as they've ever been on this old chassis.

That said, like Jack mentioned, the way many of us hike the trail (ie gear/clothing) has evolved which does lower the wear and tear we endure.

'Slogger

mweinstone
07-26-2006, 15:39
i know the rocks arent getting any softer.

MedicineMan
07-26-2006, 22:55
but there is also a large group of section hikers who intend to hike the trail...so i'm wondering if it is getting any easier for them too? i say yes because the section hiker's greatest challenge ---other than the physicality of the trail itself--- is the logistics of shuttlers and where to leave the vehicle or even where to fly into...boards and forums esp. like WB have made that a lot easier over the years.

fiddlehead
07-26-2006, 23:36
but there is also a large group of section hikers who intend to hike the trail...so i'm wondering if it is getting any easier for them too? i say yes because the section hiker's greatest challenge ---other than the physicality of the trail itself--- is the logistics of shuttlers and where to leave the vehicle or even where to fly into...boards and forums esp. like WB have made that a lot easier over the years.l

Since Greyhound is such a joke and hitchiking is more dangerous all the time in the states, have you considered using a van or pickup with a motorcycle? We used to do this when whitewater kaying trips. It works if you have a small bike that you can get onto the van or pickup by yourself. And riding motorcycles can be fun if you don't have to go thru big cities or terrible traffic. You could pick the backroads and i think it could be a rewarding experience just getting back to your vehicle. You should easily be able to carry your pack on your back on the bike. just a thought that may help you

maxNcathy
08-06-2006, 08:56
Mostly everything I have read says a thru hike on the AT is and has always been long and difficult both mentally and physically for a majority of hikers each and every year and the weather and the bugs and the excitement and the monotony and the pain and the hunger and the fun and the lonliness and the freedom and the concerns of home rule within the hiker's mind to some degree each day..........................
I am amazed at those who have the determination to do the whole hike in such a short time.

MOWGLI
08-06-2006, 09:02
Plus I'm tougher than most.

Springsteen wrote a song about you - I think. It appears on the Tunnel of Love CD.

To answer the question - there is so much info about the trail - too much if you ask me. That makes planning easier. People can know what every shelter looks like and how many it sleeps, etc. Takes some of the mystery out of the journey if you ask me. Not knowing what's around each bend is part of the magic. It was for me anyway.

The Old Fhart
08-06-2006, 09:56
How many other people heard the talk by Earl Shaffer where he complained at length about how the trail in Maine not only had been made more difficult, but dangerous, by taking the trail off the roads and putting it on the ridges, etc.. You certainly have to consider his opinion even if you agree with the reason for putting the trail on protected land.

I believe overall the trail is easier and the possibility of completion is better but at the same time all these shuttles, services, and other support options makes it easier for hikers to quit if they are having a low monent.

Nean
08-06-2006, 10:36
This is a favorite question I like to answer. I'm aware that Earl thought the trail was easier when he was 30, walking trail that doubled as a road, than at 80, up in the mountians. My opinion however is that the trail has become much (EASIER) better maintained, marked, mapped and reloed to follow contour and off the ridges with stairs and switchbacks when you do go up and down. The shelters are bigger and better too. I know what Mogli16 means about the mystery, but I think the mystery lies beyond the scenery and knowing what services are in town. I met some guys hiking the PCT w/o maps or guides in order to add some mystery to their hikes but IMO it all boils down to your frame of mind.;)

mweinstone
08-06-2006, 14:21
i think i ment it like this. two hikers show up at springer to thruhike. one an exspert in top shape, the other, minnisota smith.both reach katahdin. each use different resupply and rest options. now ten years later they both do the hike again both like they each did before. has the hike gotten harder for them?

again i say no . it stayes the same exact trail and chalange over the years and thru the equiptment and over the hostle valleys and thru gandmother wolfs resturants as they go.

fiddlehead
08-06-2006, 21:32
What about shelters? Have you seen what they used to look like?
When i first started hiking the AT in the 60's, the shelters near my house in PA had dirt floors and when it rained, you got wet. And i think there's still a "baseball bat" shelter around somewhere yet, at least there was in 2002 last time i hiked the whole thing.
Now, some shelters have electricity, mattresses, refrigerators, caretakers, firewood, libraries, kitchens, etc.
I wonder what they'll have 30 years from now?

Just Jeff
08-06-2006, 21:47
Wireless internet along the whole corridor.

hopefulhiker
08-08-2006, 14:15
i thought thru hiking the AT was easy, except for the hiking part......

the_iceman
08-08-2006, 16:40
I have hike the AT for about 40 years now. I admit I have not thru-hiked (next year) but I have hiked a lot and talked to a lot of thru-hikers every season. I grew up in a trail town.

30 to 40 years ago the shelters were pretty empty so you always had a place to sleep. Yeah, they were smaller but you hardly ever had to share anyway. There was little vandalism, people would give you a ride if you hitched, firewood was plentiful, and you COULD have a fire if you wanted. You almost always found dry wood laid up by the last person to use the camp.

Many of the old, beautiful stone shelters were still standing with functioning fireplaces in some. Dirt floors were to be covered with pine bows because that was the accepted practice. As more people hiked the environmental impact caused the enforcement of many new rules and regulations.

Also, food was cheap, not all prepackaged, farms were plentiful and you could even buy eggs from the locals. There were fewer services but more people welcomed strangers into their homes or yards.

Today, we have crowds on the trail, distrust in the community, and a lot of hikers with a “rolling party” attitude. Zero days used to be an exception and now it seems to be a rule. I read some journals with 1/3 of the trip as zero days.

If anything, the trail is pretty much the same. There are a few more switch backs that have eased a few climbs but made the trail longer. But there are many days when I would rather do the straight up climb and get it behind me. Remember, switch backs were created to prevent erosion, not make the trail easier (and longer). On the flipside, the greater number of hikers and encroachment on the trail by civilization has made hiking harder. More competition for resources.

The two big pluses we have are better equipment and we are better informed. It is a coin toss on better informed because one could also argue it diminishes the sense of adventure and takes the thrill, the challenge, and in the end the motivation, away for some people.

Fiddlehead, I have hiked the northern 1/3 of the AT and have not found a shelter with electricity, a fridge, or a mattress I would want to sleep on. I know there are some camps with caretakers that charge a fee or "donation" for those who have the cash. Great for the well funded,

By the way, stairs suck. Again, good for erosion but bad, really bad, for the knees.

mweinstone
08-08-2006, 17:39
best post ive read in a while. i never knew the dirt was to be be bowed.and eggs bought from locals. yes!you are on the money with your analysis.remember hiking three whole days in pa in the summer without meeting a sole? i do.remember town folks having smiles? i do. remember not meeting inexspirenenced hikers much at all? i do . member the first or second car stopping? the butcher selling cheese and meat ends in small stores?dumpster diving in the iga at hamburg? fires where and when you like .more animals. more road walks on dirt forrest roads, witch i love.less noise and trash and pukeing at shelters.no day trippers just scouts and hunters.and more green and less erosion and older trail and no relos and being safe and traveling cheap. ahhhh the good ol days. oh well time to die now.

The Old Fhart
08-08-2006, 17:41
Nean-"This is a favorite question I like to answer. I'm aware that Earl thought the trail was easier when he was 30, walking trail that doubled as a road, than at 80, up in the mountians. My opinion however is that the trail has become much (EASIER) better maintained, marked, mapped and reloed to follow contour and off the ridges with stairs and switchbacks when you do go up and down. The shelters are bigger and better too."This isn't exactly true. The trail in Maine used to be much easier because it followed roads and visited sporting camps along the way. Earl's comments had some basis in fact although they probably had something to do with his age as well. If you read the following quote from my 1936 edition to The Appalachian Trail in Maine (I didn't buy it new), it will give you an idea of what the trail was like then. Keep in mind that you would have to translate the charges listed into today's dollars to make sense of the costs. You can see that you could hike from sporting camp to sporting camp in a lot of places and never have to camp out. You also could be ferried in a number of places to shorten your hike. The usual way to cross the Kenenbec was to take a ferry, contrary to some urban legends.

The principal item of cost for a trip over The Appalachian Trail in Maine, utilizing the available sporting camps, is for the accommodations en route. These will be found to compare favorably with the cost of a vacation to a resort. For parties, hiking over the Trail, the cost of accommodations, including lodging, dinner, breakfast, and packed lunch, is $3.50 per day per person, with the exception of Arnold’s Big Houston Pond Camps, Berry’s Yoke Pond Camps, Clifford’s Rainbow Lake Camps, Troutdale Cabins and Sterling’s Pierce Pond Camps, where the cost is $4.00 per day per person. The rate at Bradeen’s Kidney Pond Camps is $5.00 per day plus a charge for the use of canoes. The rates above quoted do not apply to, west of Me. Highway 4; consult camp proprietor.

The accommodations available at Chimney Pond and the fire wardens or at the farmhouses are not subject to these rates and the amount paid should be somewhat lower than the sporting camp rate, depending on the number of persons.

For parties who wish to make use of camp canoes for a short time after arriving at camp, there will be no charge for canoes not engaged by other guests of the camps, unless the canoes are damaged.

There are ferrying charges of 25 cents per person at Rainbow Lake, Moxie Pond (except guests of the camp) and the Kennebec River. Arrangements may be made with Dore’s or York’s Camps for transporting packs to the other end of Long Pond. Ferrying down to the Rainbow Lake Outlet Dam or to the foot of Nahmakanta Lake, or vise versa, may also be arranged by telephone with the camp proprietors, at varying costs.

mweinstone
08-08-2006, 19:27
and toughest. ive climbed and long distance( 550 mi)of the contenental divide bushwacking before there was as much trail. the at is harder. the west takes navigation and the east dosnt but the east kills you each step wearas the west kills you on high angle scree slopes and long ups steep snow and no signs of humans for months.but the west rewards alot more often with trout fishing and swiming and hard challange. the east only requires you to lay down heel skin and bone splinters and all of your sanity dealing with so many other folks.the east kills everyone and the west spares a few with perfect hiking.15000 feet and 1500 elevation make for a difference.the difference is the crumbled low hills vs the smooth young peaks and their RELETIV EASE.

Lone Wolf
08-08-2006, 19:31
The AT is fairly easy physically, nwienstore. The mental part will get you. Like this year.

mweinstone
08-08-2006, 19:57
i know......................

Nean
08-08-2006, 20:34
This isn't exactly true.

I don't think I was clear on this. IMO the trail is much easier now than it was in 89. I wasn't around in the 50s but believe age was a considerable factor regarding Earls opinion.

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 18:58
each once in a while growing up , i needed to buy a new walking with spring. it got shreeded from falling asleap with it and rolling all over it.ive had 6 coppies i estimate.as someone who once worshiped that story,...i still never got any feel for the details of the time and setting and of what kind of guy earl was at that age.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2006, 22:23
each once in a while growing up , i needed to buy a new walking with spring. it got shreeded from falling asleap with it and rolling all over it.ive had 6 coppies i estimate.as someone who once worshiped that story,...i still never got any feel for the details of the time and setting and of what kind of guy earl was at that age.
Earl wasn't a dreamer or wannabe like you. He did stuff and lived simply. Go to bed.

fiddlehead
08-11-2006, 07:50
Fiddlehead, I have hiked the northern 1/3 of the AT and have not found a shelter with electricity, a fridge, or a mattress I would want to sleep on. I know there are some camps with caretakers that charge a fee or "donation" for those who have the cash. Great for the well funded,

By the way, stairs suck. Again, good for erosion but bad, really bad, for the knees.

Have you hiked thru the areas where:
1/ RPH hikers cabin
2/ Eckville Shelter,
3/ 501 shelter,
4/ upper goose pond
of these, i don't think upper goose pond had electricity. I know the rest had mattresses and the 2 PA ones had a lot. There are probably others.
I know there are some shelters out there now that are really beautiful, expensive, log structures that i would trade my house for. I think Avery and Benton Mackaye would be shocked at some of these luxuries.
And of course, i didn't mention the AMC hotels in the middle of the whites. (complete with dinner.) makes somewhat of a difference when wet, tired, cold, dark, snowing, etc. ANd they've pretty much made the logistics so that you CANNOT get by these places without spending a night. (and big bucks) Legally that is. (I still know a few stealth spots where it may not be legal but they won't find me. )
I know no one wants to see their hike belittled in any way, I didn't start the thread, just adding my thoughts to the difficulty of then and now.

the_iceman
08-11-2006, 09:18
Have you hiked thru the areas where:
1/ RPH hikers cabin
2/ Eckville Shelter,
3/ 501 shelter,
4/ upper goose pond
of these, i don't think upper goose pond had electricity. I know the rest had mattresses and the 2 PA ones had a lot. There are probably others.
I know there are some shelters out there now that are really beautiful, expensive, log structures that i would trade my house for. I think Avery and Benton Mackaye would be shocked at some of these luxuries.
And of course, i didn't mention the AMC hotels in the middle of the whites. (complete with dinner.) makes somewhat of a difference when wet, tired, cold, dark, snowing, etc. ANd they've pretty much made the logistics so that you CANNOT get by these places without spending a night. (and big bucks) Legally that is. (I still know a few stealth spots where it may not be legal but they won't find me. )
I know no one wants to see their hike belittled in any way, I didn't start the thread, just adding my thoughts to the difficulty of then and now.

Like I said, I have hiked the northern third and Goose Pond looks for a donation. I said no “free” shelters. The AMC huts cost more than a Hampton Inn and I agree it is hard not to stay unless you pull an “all nighter” on the trail. I forgot about RPH, I did that section about 10 years ago and we did not stay there for some reason.

Yeah, this thread gets a little silly but it like a drug, you just keep coming back. I think it really comes down to a matter of choices. Today there are so many more choices in the way you hike. It is fine to hike-your-own-hike as long as you don’t impact or pressure others. To each his own. We cannot forget a certain college professor who group camped and slacked packed his way up the trail and made money doing it. I guess that might be called thru-hiking

rickb
08-11-2006, 17:48
Walking fom Nauman to the Perch isn't so tough.

No huts, no problem.

Red Hat
08-13-2006, 17:06
Hopeful Hiker, I've gotta agree with you. The hardest part was the hiking... (grin) Loved everything else... Remember when you, me, and Phoenix hiked together and I ruled on the downs, but you two ruled on the ups? How I miss those days!

HIKER7s
08-23-2006, 12:54
I think its the way you look at it.

Of course it is easier to accomplish the trail itself today than it was years ago. Much of this has been due to land management settlements and greater and wider trail crew endeavors. I say this (that its easier now) specifically in line with the pure AT experience. In 1978, I think the trail was hard at times but aside from physically demanding, there were also several areas that you could lose your ass in if you didnt have good direction finding skills (maps, compass, guide). Sometimes you didnt get an update to a trail change and ended up trying to pick the blaze back up for an hour or three. The trail itself in this arena is much better today.

HOWEVER, I also think in another way it is harder. There are many people on the trail at the onset of the season attempting to go thru. This is like a social event in my opinion. For the hiker who is out to experience the purisims (is that a word? ) of the trail they are going to have to speed out in front of the hoards or slow down enough to enjoy the trek without constantly hearing someone on the trail. Of course by saying this I am not assuming everyone wants the "hermit hiker" experience. I am just saying in a nutshell that it appears today that the pristine hike is harder to accomplish because of ALL the things today that are connective to the trail.

I myself take it in however it comes. I do enjoy the silence of a trek and the oppritunity to enjoy perhaps a sighting of something in the wild weather that be a bear or a chipmunk scrambling up a tree.

I wonder how many people would attempt to do this if they knew they could only stop in town for mail drops and only be able to hike with someone a total of ....lets say 30 days in their trek.

DawnTreader
08-23-2006, 13:55
I am confused.. someone please help me out..
I've hiked the a.t. in Maine and NH only..
are there really shelters with electricity on the trail?? this seems ludacris

Just Jeff
08-23-2006, 14:00
Ludacris (http://www6.defjam.com/site/artist_home.php?artist_id=308) hiked the AT?! Now THAT's ludicrous. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

HIKER7s
08-23-2006, 14:07

just the ones with the mouse driven generators in the rear :sun

Footslogger
08-23-2006, 14:10
================================

Not that I am aware of ...but as a joke someone did mount a dummy box/light switch years ago on the wall in the Plumb Orchard Shelter (first shelter north of Dicks Creek Gap) and it had a lot of people wondering ???

'Slogger

mweinstone
08-23-2006, 16:24
all over the place. with moters running and solar panels ,..paneling.... and crap in privys ,.... being electricly ,.... messed with.case and point,... graceland highlands or whatever that place is called,... you know, with the messed up salt addicted ponys?

hopefulhiker
08-23-2006, 16:38
Red Hat, After losing about 60 pounds on the thru last year, I was able to hang with the younger crowd on the downhills too. But now that I am off the trail again, the weight has come back, and I am sure I would struggle through GA again, just like last year....

Gray Blazer
08-23-2006, 20:47
all over the place. with moters running and solar panels ,..paneling.... and crap in privys ,.... being electricly ,.... messed with.case and point,... graceland highlands or whatever that place is called,... you know, with the messed up salt addicted ponys?

The original question was......is thru hiking the trail getting harder. I don't know about that , but I do know this...reading your posts is getting harder. Lay off the acid, brother.

fiddlehead
08-23-2006, 21:21

The ones that i remember off the top of my head (last thru was 5 years ago) are: Eckville shelter in PA, RPH cabin in NY, the Fontana Hilton in NC., 501 shelter in PA, There may be more, and the RPH may have removed it, i'm not sure. I think the huts in the whites have solar power but of course they are not considered shelters (although its very difficult not to use them and be legal in the whites)

mweinstone
08-24-2006, 18:11
that post was in response to the thread that asks if there are electrified shelters.i posted it on the wrong thread.
on a lighter note. slander and calling someone a acid head are the topic of this thread i see. very interesting.

rickb
08-24-2006, 18:17
(although its very difficult not to use them and be legal in the whites)

Simnply not true. Especially for one who is fit enough to walk to the Whites from GA, or ME.

It is very easy to avoid the huts-- legally and comfortably.

Gray Blazer
08-24-2006, 22:13
that post was in response to the thread that asks if there are electrified shelters.i posted it on the wrong thread.
on a lighter note. slander and calling someone a acid head are the topic of this thread i see. very interesting.

Just trying to have fun. Sorry if you were offended. You've got to admit your posts are unique.:rolleyes:

mweinstone
08-27-2006, 15:22
due to your coment. i am his evil spelling reletive. his death must be avenged. whats this thread about? ummmmmmmm,........................................ .................................................. ...........................oh yeah! is something somthing,.. forgot again.

mweinstone
08-27-2006, 15:29
and its not great. my original stupid question was harder yes or no.i say its the constant in my time. it is exactly 100% the same as it was when i was a kid. hard and lousy and hot and wet and cold and crappy food and weirdos and these things dont change. theirs a comfort in things that dont change. there like god. and the trail is like him to me. and now im done trying to be weird. cause i have succeded.

the trail is like sharks. time tested preditors of human fleash! i have a very bad feeling about the way i spelled flesh or fleash. one of them is horribubly wrong(spelled horrible wrong as a joke ,calm...) and sounds really gross.

DawnTreader
08-27-2006, 16:19
LUDACRIS...hahaha
I need to go back to school..l

Brrrb Oregon
08-28-2006, 02:57
Based on the divorce rate, I'd say that anything that requires sticking with it for better or worse has gotten tougher or at least has gotten statistically less likely....except for those who know how to go about doing what they decide they're going to do.

For that kind, it doesn't matter. As long as they decide it is worth doing and they have the body to do it, they'll do it.

mweinstone
08-28-2006, 18:08
are you a girl? good post. you have used the weinstonian method. with a matthewskilike flare. ............impressive...........very impressive(spoken in darth vadars voice, the impressive part only.)

Brrrb Oregon
08-29-2006, 00:35
are you a girl? good post. you have used the weinstonian method. with a matthewskilike flare. ............impressive...........very impressive(spoken in darth vadars voice, the impressive part only.)

Female, yes. But no Treegirl, I'll assure you....and six Oregon brothers with NRA cards, so be nice, there, Darth buddy. (Hubby used to work for the FBI, but the brothers would get you first. ;) )

mweinstone
08-30-2006, 17:48
like......

Brrrb Oregon
09-01-2006, 13:09
like......

And I like you. I think my brothers would like you, too.

mweinstone
09-01-2006, 15:58
this just in,.....hiking while minisota smith is on trail actualy makes the trail easier. theres no consern over bears as long as hes snoring.ripplys called,...they want to know just how loud his snoring is in the richter scale.