PDA

View Full Version : Just how crowded/populated/congested is the AP Trail?

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 21:04
Hi

I'm still reading and educating myself here but one thing I have been very curious about lately is just how populated the AP trail actually is. What I mean is let's say I start at Springer Mt, GA and start walking and let's say it's in March or whatever. Am I going to see one or two people every 3-4 days or are there lots of people all along the trail (like maybe I'd see a person or two ever 1/8th of a mile or so)?.

I ask this for reasons of personal safety since I would more than likely be hiking alone and since I have medical problems, it would be nice to have other people around here and there in case of an emergency or just to offer moral support or whatever.

This brings me to my second question. In the "real word" people (although not all of them) can be really uncaring, uncompassionate and such. Having said that, let's say that I suffered from Panic Attacks and I had such an attack along the trail and was just sitting there hyperventilating and freaking out really bad. Now if some hikers came walking by would they be more likely to just ignore me, tell me to "quit being a big baby" or would they be all over me trying to find out what my problem was and how they could help?.

Finally, as much as I've heard that the AP trail is the safest place on earth...blah...blah...I still can't shake the feeling of vulnerabily being alone out there in the woods and 50 miles from the nearest town. Like I said, I've got medical (and other) problems so defending myself against two thugs is not an option for me and if I felt uncomfortable and tried to "just walk away", what's to prevent them from following me?.

Yes, I know it sounds like I'm being overly concerned but I think these are some really valid questions/concerns (at least they are for me). Anyway, I look forward to hearing from as many of you as possible and I appreciate it.

- Regards, GG

fiddlehead
07-22-2006, 21:30
If you start Northbound from Springer in March, you will more likely see a person or two every 1/8 of a mile or so. At least in the beginning. Most will drop out in the first 100 miles so it will get a little more normal after that although that is a popular start time and you will be around people every day most of the whole hike.
If you start in May or June, you will see more like 10 people a day rather than 40 or 60. So, you can somewhat control how many people will be around.
After a week or so, you will find that most all thru-hikers are friendly, caring, people and will most likely stop and try to help you if you have these problems.
The longer you are on the trail, the more your confidence will grow and you will have lots of friends who you will most probably be happy to hike with. (some of my best friends in life were met on the trail)

mweinstone
07-22-2006, 21:38
3 to 30 people per shelter in feb and march. one nite i heard a tent zipper zip. i thaught it was a bear not ten feet from me. sounded just like one. my heart jumped. what would you have gone thru in this senerio?

karo
07-22-2006, 21:41
BTW GreyGoose, it is not the AP but the AT as in Applachian Trail. This will avoid any further ribbing form some of us. I hope to meet you on the trail.

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 21:42
Holy cow...was'nt sure how many people I would see but I NEVER figured there would be that many (40-60 in March). I feel tons better now from everything you have told me. Thank's:sun

- Regards, GG

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 21:44
BTW GreyGoose, it is not the AP but the AT as in Applachian Trail. This will avoid any further ribbing form some of us. I hope to meet you on the trail.

Funny thing, you know...as I posted the "AP" I was wondering why it looked kind of strange. Now I know why. Thank's for the heads up on that:p

- Regards, GG

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 21:45
Whoops..I meant to say "40-60 in March about every 1/8th of a mile".

Mouse
07-22-2006, 21:56
Think lemming migrating. At first there are hoards and hoards. Then they start falling away and getting fewer and fewer. At first there might be 30 people at each shelter you stop at. That seems like a lot but they get so spread out during the day that you will only run into a few until the next evening.

Every day they get more spread out and more leave the trail for one reason or another. By the Smokey the numbers are pared down quite a bit and by virginia having a shelter all to yourself will not be unheard of. By New England being alone will be rather frequent and it will be unusual to see more than a few thruhikers at a time.

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 22:57
So are there points in the trail where it runs through a town/city and you have to get a ride to the other side so you can pick the trail back up again and if so, do you have to hitchhike or is there some service that provides this?.

- Regards, GG

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 00:54
I just wanted to say that I found a site that had 251 pictures of someone's trip during a thru-hike on the AT. Until now, I had only seen a few pictures of the AT scattered here and there. I looked at every one of them and they were breathtaking, majestic and beyond description. I saw wild ponies and other things but I don't understand the "kilt" thing (to reduce sweating/chafing?) or why everyone seems to have a set of ski poles (for balance/testing the ground/gripping?). Anyway, what a "trip" I just took!.

- GG

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 00:58
Oh, also, it looks a lot more wild and rugged than i expected. I can see why a lot of people turn back after the first 100 miles or so and why getting in shape first is so important. The people I see in various pictures I have looked at look freindly too. A lot of old, young, male, female, heavy, thin, etc. The only thing I might be concerned about would be an uncontrolled or aggressive dog or keeping someone awake at night with my Tourette's (that would'nt make me many friends!).

- GG

Peaks
07-23-2006, 07:25
A different person every 1/8 of a mile? Doubt it. Since most are going the same way, I'd expect to see only a handful of different people during the day. But, at a shelter at night, I'd expect to see maybe 20 or so, especially in late March.

On weekends there are more people out hiking during the day.

Aside from the peak season of mid March to mid April, the numbers drop considerably.

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 15:42
I don't know if any of you have read my three latest posts in this particular thread but I am still curious about the things which I posted and it might help me to become a better hiker and prepare me for the AT. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated :). Also, I have recently increased my usual 1 lap around the neighborhood I live in to 3 laps. Not only do I feel better but it also helps keep my blood pressure in check as well as helping me get in shape. I really want to do a thru-hike someday folks and I'm very serious about that. It's not just some whim I picked up but has been a life-long dream of mine (ie; I have to do it!).

- Regards my fellow hikers, GG

Heater
07-23-2006, 16:45
I don't know if any of you have read my three latest posts in this particular thread but I am still curious about the things which I posted and it might help me to become a better hiker and prepare me for the AT. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated :).

You should put "learning patience" on your list of things to do in preparing for this hike. ;) Search.:cool:

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 16:46
You should put "learning patience" on your list of things to do in preparing for this hike. ;) Search.:cool:

And why is that?

Heater
07-23-2006, 16:47
Lobster... is that you? :-?

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 16:49
Dear admin/moderator...could you please delete the post directly above this one in which I say "And why is that?". I've had a few beers this evening and do not currently have my head on straight.

Thank's - GG

Heater
07-23-2006, 16:49
And why is that?

Because... you don't seems to hae much.

The answers will come. Also, the search button is a wonderful tool. :banana

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 16:56
Sorry, have much what?. If you have read my other posts, you will see that I have been reading these posts (including using the search tool) and have been studying my tail off for...oh...the past 5 days for 4-5 hours each day. I also, just recieved a not-so-nice PM for the first time since I joined this forum. I really hope this whole thing is not degrading...

Heater
07-23-2006, 17:02
Sorry, have much what?. If you have read my other posts, you will see that I have been reading these posts (including using the search tool) and have been studying my tail off for...oh...the past 5 days for 4-5 hours each day. I also, just recieved a not-so-nice PM for the first time since I joined this forum. I really hope this whole thing is not degrading...

I didn't PM you.

Just kick back and wait and keep reading and all your questions will be answered.

:rolleyes:

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 17:02
I'm just a wannabe hiker who is reading, asking questions (that I have not been able to find through a search) and learning as much as I can. I'm here to make friends and get to know some of you because we might very possibly be bumping into each other on the trail someday :)

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 17:10
I didn't PM you.

Just kick back and wait and keep reading and all your questions will be answered.

:rolleyes:

I know you did'nt PM me (I never said you did). I guess I just don't understand why you all of a sudden you appear on the scene (with your "roll-eyes" emoticon) and act like I'm being lazy and not doing any reading but rather, just hoping other people will come along and answer my questions for me. Believe me, I have been reading for long hours every day. I'm also very precocious and am not afraid to ask lots of questions because that's one good way to learn (ie; I was'nt born knowing this stuff).

Heater
07-23-2006, 17:18
I'm just a wannabe hiker who is reading, asking questions (that I have not been able to find through a search) and learning as much as I can. I'm here to make friends and get to know some of you because we might very possibly be bumping into each other on the trail someday :)

Ok.

No towns you have to hitch through. Some towns you gotta hitch to.

Not really "wilderness" because you are always close to a town.

The "ski poles" are actually hiking sticks designed specifically for hiking.

I forget the third, (fourth?) question.

Watch out for rednecks with banjos and bears that can sense your fear and will eat you.:eek: :D

Cell phones and dogs are evil. ...and... dont hike too fast even if a banjo playing, hiker hungry bear with a cell phone followed by a dog is after you.

Heater
07-23-2006, 17:19
Ok.

No towns you have to hitch through. Some towns you gotta hitch to.

Not really "wilderness" because you are always close to a town.

The "ski poles" are actually hiking sticks designed specifically for hiking.

I forget the third, (fourth?) question.

Watch out for rednecks with banjos and bears that can sense your fear and will eat you.:eek: :D

Cell phones and dogs are evil. ...and... dont hike too fast even if a banjo playing, hiker hungry bear with a cell phone followed by a dog is after you.

..........:rolleyes:

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 17:34
You forgot number 4#.

Heater
07-23-2006, 17:39
You forgot number 4#.

Oh yeah. I remember now. Because it wasn't what they expected or their little piggie had to go to market.

:D

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 18:54
Oh yeah. I remember now. Because it wasn't what they expected or their little piggie had to go to market.

:D

Ouch, that one really hurt. I'll bet you beat up on your brothers and sisters a lot growing up, did'nt you :p

tiamalle
07-23-2006, 20:21
goose,you're going to do fine.Come on.Stop in and see us in Franklin.You won't even have to hitch.I run a free shuttle in and out of town free in March and April.828-524-4403 for info.This is Budget Inn of Franklin,NC
Ron Haven

Nightwalker
07-23-2006, 20:28
3 to 30 people per shelter in feb and march. one nite i heard a tent zipper zip. i thaught it was a bear not ten feet from me. sounded just like one. my heart jumped. what would you have gone thru in this senerio?
Bears don't have thumbs. No worrys on the bear/zipper thang.

Nightwalker
07-23-2006, 20:35
Whoops..I meant to say "40-60 in March about every 1/8th of a mile".
Nothing like that. Not even that many in the crowd you'll be walking with per day. Tons give up in the first 30 miles. After 3 days/30 miles you'll see around 20 folks per day for awhile. Every major road crossing up to Fontana it'll get a little thinner.

It'll be okay.

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 21:21
goose,you're going to do fine.Come on.Stop in and see us in Franklin.You won't even have to hitch.I run a free shuttle in and out of town free in March and April.828-524-4403 for info.This is Budget Inn of Franklin,NC
Ron Haven

No lofty, ego-feeding, corporate brag stories here (we're all human and we all put on pants or a dress in the morning) but I've been in business for about 12 years now and even though I've never hiked the AT (let alone a thru-hike), I did do a great deal of backpacking and hitch-hiking with my dog for 6-8 years through Canada, Mexico and the U.S. during my much younger years (I'm a youthful 43 now...hehe).

I also went through 6 months of intense survival/jungle training as well as several years of missionary training at New Tribes Mission in PA (we lived off of snakes, crawfish, wild berries, safe road-kill, built an adobe stove and thatched-roof hut, "rope beds", etc) so hiking/survival is in my blood and because of my past and even though I've never hiked the AT, I am still a "sympathizer" and I still feel a special bond/kinship with you people (which is why I am here).

I'd love more than anything to become a trail angel, trail maintainer or donator. All I want to do is help in whatever way I can. My immediate thought was to open up a stand/hostel somewhere along the AT and offer hotdogs and cold sodas for hungry hikers (free of course). It would be my small way of giving back to a society that has given so much to me and people who helped me way back when I was a hiker. I'm not at all "rich" but like the Bible say's "to whom much has been given shall much be expected". Some may object to this quote but I assure you, I am not here to prosthelytize...I only want to help:)