PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hike?

strebor
07-22-2006, 21:31
I was reading and doing alot of thinking on this topic. I figured this would be a good topic to discuss. Seems to be alot of new hikers of the A.T here trying to do a thru hike like myself.

For me its the outdoors in all of its wonder. I love to just get up and go where the only worry I have (For the most part) is deciding what to eat for lunch. Where I can be myself and no one is going to judge me. Cause there usualy is no one around.

I guess I agee that there needs to be a reason other than to say I did it.

Simplicity I guess overall that is why I LOVE to hike.

Phreak
07-22-2006, 21:36
I hike to get away from the daily grind, get a break from email, cell phones, tv, radio, etc.

I just enjoy the simplicity and the solitude of backpacking.

mweinstone
07-22-2006, 21:41
and i hate materialism

mrc237
07-22-2006, 21:42
I like to be alone with my cellphone!

general
07-22-2006, 21:42
i'm truely happy in the woods

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 21:48
I havn't hiked (yet) but my main reason would be to get away from the 300 or so spams I get in my email every day and the numerous telemarketers who call throughout the day asking me if "I'm pleasing my girlfriend enough" or telling me that I just won a "dream vacation", etc.

Grrrrrrrr!!!!!:D

- Regards, GG

blackbishop351
07-22-2006, 21:59
The trail lets me loosen up, get away, de-stress...it's the only place I've ever felt completely relaxed.

GreyGoose
07-22-2006, 22:18
You know, I live in Florida and a few years ago we got hit by several pretty powerful hurricanes which did a lot of property damage and the whole area looked like a war zone. There was no power, internet or even a phone for weeks and we lived with only camping gear and after some time had passed, we became pretty resourceful with how we dealt with the situation (ie; we aquired oil lamps, bottled water, a manual push sweeper, battery powered fans/clock, propane stove, canned meats and such, etc. We even made out own "water candles" in the beginning and cooked off of two candles between concrete blocks.

As much as we hated it THEN (the heat was AWEFUL!), as soon as the power came back on and the spams and telemarketing calls started pouring in, customers complaining about where there orders were and all the other things that come with "society", I quickly began to miss the power outage - even though I hated it while it was going on so I have at least a small grasp of what you are talking about (ie; tranquility, peace, quiet, etc).

- Regards, GG

fiddlehead
07-22-2006, 22:35
Why not? Just Look at the alternative!

bigcranky
07-22-2006, 22:37
I like to walk, and I especially like to walk in the mountains. On a practical level, then, I suppose any mountains will do, and I've enjoyed such walks in many places.

But the Appalachians touch my soul in a way that I can't explain. I didn't grow up in them, or have family in the mountains, or any other rational reason for feeling this way. All I know is that when I see the long ridgelines, the endless ripples of soft green mountains, my heart is content.

There is something very special for me in the simple act of walking, of carrying what I need for a day, a week, or more, and just walking out into the Appalachain mountains for a hike. Any weather, any time of year, any company (or none at all) -- every day is a good day to hike.

blindeye
07-22-2006, 22:48
well said mweinstone!

Tinker
07-22-2006, 23:52
To get away from this stupid computer!;)

the goat
07-22-2006, 23:57
it's the ultimate freedom.

Michele
07-22-2006, 23:59
I like it because I realized that we've managed to remove ourselves (at least pyschologically) from the natural world, as if we are completely separate from "it and those animals," which is why I think it's so easy for us to disregard the natural world and the environment when it comes to making $.

I hike, because it is the only way I know of to reconnect to the rest of the natural life cycle that is occuring around me, and in which I am a part, even though most days I swear I'm as far from it as one could be, while sitting in my office w/only a view of a brick wall out of my window.

It reminds me that I'm human I guess, and give my brain time to catch up to my body.

corentin
07-23-2006, 05:05
Endorphins

Amigi'sLastStand
07-23-2006, 07:50
The trail lets me loosen up, get away, de-stress...it's the only place I've ever felt completely relaxed.
Amen. Freedom and LIFE as is should be also come to mind.

FLHiker
07-23-2006, 09:30
Ditto to all of the above, and add a hobby - photography.

You ultra-lightweight types would faint if you saw my pack list!!

Mouse Poo
07-23-2006, 19:46
I hike because the first time I went into the mountains I felt like I had come home after a long trip; as a fish might feel when returned to water. Except I'd never been before. I grew up in flat as a board Florida. That first time it felt like some huge weight was lifted off me, even though I hadn't noticed any weight before. To this day I never feel whole unless I'm in the mountains.

Footslogger
07-23-2006, 20:23
Because it feels so good when the hiking is over.

'Slogger

cannonball
07-23-2006, 20:38
Because I can't sing or dance?

ed bell
07-23-2006, 21:00
it's the ultimate freedom.The goat has got my vote.:sun

Topcat
07-23-2006, 21:23
I hike because problems of shelter, water and food are so much simpler than the problems of wife, in laws, kids and work. I am never happier than when i am dead tired from a climb up a hill or sitting on an overhang watching a sunset.

mrc237
07-23-2006, 23:37
When you're willing to hike you see and do things that 99.9% of the people will never see.

undergroundnathan
07-24-2006, 10:26
ITS the freedom and adventure and the pepole I meet,makes it all wirth wild.PLUS forsure its in my blood. sincerly underground.

cjfetters
07-24-2006, 11:41
I love hiking because it is natural. It is in our true natural state to enjoy nature. All of the other stuff is interferance.

SGT Rock
07-24-2006, 11:50
Because...

white rabbit
07-24-2006, 11:53
Freedom from the daily BS of life. The people are also much more friendly on the trail then they would be on the sidewalks in some city. Daily stresses just aren't there so there's no tension between strangers. Hell, there aren't really any strangers on the trail. Utopia??