PDA

View Full Version : Torso size dilemma

VictoriaM
07-22-2006, 22:34
I'm having a hard time choosing what pack size to order. I've picked a pack, and it's perfect for what I want. Unfortunately, it's not available at any of the stores around here, so I'll be ordering it online. So, the LL Bean website says to measure my torso length from the tip of my chin to my navel. I get 18 inches this way. Another website (it was either EMS or REI) said to measure down my back, from right between the shoulders to my hips. With that method I get 16 1/2 inches. Measuring straight down that front at the same points got 17 1/2 inches. Which is the right way?

The other issue is that the pack sizes are for torsos either 15-17 1/2 inches or 17 1/2 to 19 inches. I think it would be better to go for the smaller size, because I have a very small torso, in general. I mean, I'm 5'6" with a 33 inch inseam, so I'm mostly leg and not much torso. And I'm already thin, so by the end of my thru hike I'll be tiny.

Anyway, I can always return the pack if it doesn't fit (Bean is good about that) but I'd rather pot have to, so I'd love some advice on this.

bigcranky
07-22-2006, 22:41
Can you go to a local outfitter and have them measure you? Most major pack manufacturers provide a measuring device, and it'll give your torso length in inches. LL Bean also has stores in several places around the USA. I would have some concerns about ordering a pack without being able to carry it around the store for a while, but as you said, Bean is good about returns.

The usual method for torso measurement is from the vertebra at the base of your neck (C-7??) down to your hips. You'll need someone to help you, of course.

blackbishop351
07-22-2006, 23:35
Yeah, definitely the easiest thing to do is go to a local retailer. Tell 'em you're in the market for a pack, and let 'em fit you :P Only a LITTLE dishonest, and you'll get a good measurement.

1Pint
07-23-2006, 00:27
Which is the right way?
The other issue is that the pack sizes are for torsos either 15-17 1/2 inches or 17 1/2 to 19 inches.

If there is more than one method out there, all you care about is the method used by the manufacturer you've chosen. I suggest you email the manufacturer and ask. If they're not available for some reason, go with the back of the neck and down measurement described above. That's how my outfitter sized me. But you need someone who knows what they're doing. The first person who sized me got a different measurement than the second (on the same day.)
Good luck!

1Pint
07-23-2006, 00:30
Yeah, definitely the easiest thing to do is go to a local retailer. Tell 'em you're in the market for a pack, and let 'em fit you :P Only a LITTLE dishonest, and you'll get a good measurement.

If you feel guilty about using their expertise and not buying, consider showing them the advertised price you're pursuing elsewhere and asking if they'll order it for you and match the price. My local place will do both. Very cool.

Alligator
07-23-2006, 02:55
Bigcranky has it right. Feel for the large vertebrae on your neck, near about even with your shoulders. It should be the seventh but it's hard to count. It helps to tip your head forward, it's the big knobby one. Then draw an imaginary line across the top of your hip bones. Between the two is the distance you want.

LOL. You're 5'6" with a 33" inseam? I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam.