PDA

View Full Version : Titanium pots. 26oz enough?

hopper
03-25-2003, 23:00
Hi,
Does anyone have the SnowPeak 3 piece ti set? I was checking out the specs and it says the large pot is only 26oz, that seemed a little small to me. I'm thinking about going with it but I'm curious what you have to say.

Thanks

hopper
03-26-2003, 02:34
I just noticed that sgt rock has the same set, he seems to think it's ok. Anyone else?:-?

Scamp
03-26-2003, 08:11
That sounds OK to me. Many kits have a
3/4 qt. pot, which is 24 oz.

Scamp

Scamp
03-26-2003, 08:15
BTW, I'm using a 3/4 qt. non stick pot,
a 12 oz. aluminum cup, and an 8 oz.
plastic cup this year.

Last year I used the 12 oz. cup and a fry
pan, plus the plastic cup. I gave up
pancakes for scrambled(powdered) eggs.

Scamp

chris
03-26-2003, 09:41
It depends what you like to cook. If you want to have 2 packages of ramen, that means cooking it with around 4 cups of liquid. That is 32 oz. Sure, I can make one package at a time or cook with a much smaller amount of liquid and use less of the seasonning packet, but I like convenience and I like the extra liquid. I have a 1.4 L pot, which is large enough for double ramen or double liptons, etc.

I would hesitate to buy a "set". I can't imagine needing multiple pots or boilers, etc. With titanium, it seems that another 1/2 L capacity will set you back about 1 oz. Not much to pay for what, at least for me, adds up to a lot of benefits.

RagingHampster
03-26-2003, 10:25
MSR just changed their "Titan" setup, but you may be able to find the old model. It comes with a 1L Pot, Lid/Frypan, Potgripper, Mesh sack, and 0.8L pot I leave at home. The new model has a flat lid instead of a 3/4" dished frypan/lid.

Redbeard
03-26-2003, 11:23
If it can fit 1 box of macncheese or 2 packs of Ramen, your probably ok.

hopper
03-26-2003, 15:07
I found a 1.3 liter non-stick Evernew titanium pot and lid at REI. I used a measuring cup and found that the 26oz might cramp my style a little since I eat alot (I'm 28 and still growing! :D)

Thanks

silverback
03-26-2003, 18:19
I carried a similar size pot all the way and had no problem, it was big enough. Don't try to cook 2 packs of Betty Crocker instant potatoes unless you like them really thick though!

tlbj6142
03-27-2003, 10:32
Regarding ramens and other 1qt/1L packaged meals. Make sure you try these foods out using thier recomend amount of water. I think you'll find it is just too much. And takes too long to heat.

For Ramens I find about 60%-70% of what the packaging calls for is fine. For other "soups" I always start with 60% and add cold water later if the flavor is not quite right.

I'm actually looking for a 2 pot setup where one pot is the lid for the other and there is a separate lid. This would allow me to "boil" in the larger pot, while just warming in the upper pot.

I think snow peak, or GSI makes a set like this, but I have not been able to find it.

chris
03-27-2003, 12:39
Sounds like you are planning some complicated meals while out-of-doors. Perhaps Fondue? Multicourse meals?

Having eaten many ramens over the years, I like the flavor with the full water. That is just my taste, though. I have friends who prefer their ramen uncooked. Sometimes (fall, winter), make them with extra water to get some extra fluids in me when it is too cold to consume large amounts of cold water. Using a single cup of water and a full seasonning packet is too salty for me. Using a single cup and half a seasonning packet leaves me wanting more soup.

tlbj6142
03-27-2003, 12:53
Not planning anything fancy, just may want to heat some water to drink or use with other types of food that don't require boiling water (potato flakes, oatmeal, grits, etc.).

I know I could just heat some "extra" water in a single container and then pour out a small amount into a cup. But the time/fuel wasted to heat the large amount of water could be spent cooking the "main course". So, why not use some heat that is lost through the lid to warm a small amount of water (when needed) for another purpose (drink, flakes, pudding, etc.).

It is just a thought. Nothing I've tried in the field yet.

chris
03-27-2003, 14:04
Try everything and decide what works for you. If funds are limited, make the best guess you can and see if that works. Usually, it is best to start simple, which is also usually the cheapest. Cooking, in the end, usually works out to be very simple and straightforward. But, there are so many different variants and styles and tastes that it seems complicated. You'll work out something that fits you fairly early on.

hopper
03-27-2003, 14:08
I just got my Evernew Titanium 1.3 liter pot and lid from REI ($39)and I'm really happy with it. It's got a non stick coating and is the perfect size for me eating style. It does warn against using excessive heat though, not sure if the non-stick coating would peel off with too much heat or not.