PDA

View Full Version : Maine windpower- "BIG IMPACTS TO SPECIAL PLACES"

TJ aka Teej
07-23-2006, 11:00
http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/2957863.shtml (http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/2957863.shtml)

BIG IMPACTS TO SPECIAL PLACES
>snip<

J.T. Horn, New England director of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, said the Redington Mountain project is the only one his organization is opposing out of several proposed wind power projects near the Appalachian Trail, a federally protected 2,200 mile swath of land stretching from Georgia to Maine's Katahdin Mountain.

Horn said his organization believes that wind power can play an important role in addressing global warming and air quality issues.

But he said other factors have to be considered.

"Not all sites are appropriate and some sites are really fragile and special and remote and scenic," said Horn. Redington Mountain is one of those sites, he said.

To reach the long ridges where the turbines will be constructed, about 12 miles of new road will have to be built up to a 4,000 foot mountain.

When the project is completed, it will be visible from numerous viewpoints along a 50-mile stretch of one of the most remote sections of the trail.

"If you backpacked this section, it would take you over a week to hike and every time you came to a view point, you would be able to see this wind farm," he said.

And he said 15 of the turbines will be equipped with aircraft warning lights.

"Not only will you see them on the horizon, but they will also be spinning and flashing," he said.

Jody Jones, a wildlife ecologist with the Maine Audubon Society, said the project would impact a fragile area that is a core habitat for Bicknell's thrush, a bird that lives only in mountainous regions of the Northeast, as well as the northern bog lemming.

While Lee has moved the proposed road and turbines to avoid the habitat of the lemming, Jones said there are concerns that rain water and snow melt runoff could be exacerbated by the roads and drive the lemmings out of the bog.

There are only a handful of identified locations in the Northeast that are northern bog lemming habitat, said Jones. In all of Maine there are only 14 examples of subalpine fir forest specialized habitat, said Jones. Of those, she said the area in question is one of only five that are rated excellent. "To me it is a grand experiment in the wrong place," said Jones.

>snip<
"Mother nature did not make a lot of mountains like [the Redington Pond Range and Black Nubble Mountains]" -Harley Lee, president of Endless Energy Corp
>snip<

No ****, Sherlock...

fiddlehead
07-23-2006, 22:16
You forgot to include this part:
"In terms of generating capacity, the Redington project would produce roughly 90 megawatts of power -- enough to power about 40,000 Maine homes."

Mr. Clean
07-24-2006, 18:17
"In terms of generating capacity, the Redington project would produce roughly 90 megawatts of power -- enough to power about 40,000 Maine homes."

At peak production....

the goat
07-24-2006, 22:28

are you saying this is yet another case of "not in my back yard" a la ted kennedy & the wind farm off the coast of mass.?

fiddlehead
07-24-2006, 22:57
I don't know about Ted kennedy or his windfarm.
I am saying i like having one in my backyard. (i come from the coal regions of PA where they strip the land, burn the coal, and fill the holes in with landfills. )
Now i live in Phuket, Thailand where there is a small windfarm about 1 km from my house. The people here are proud of the fact that they are enjoying electricity made from a non-polluting facility.
i know many of you consider the windmill on the horizon a pollution, but here it is a pleasant reminder of the fact that we are using the wind as our clean fuel source.
By the way, the price of coal has near doubled in the last 3 years, same as gasoline. Who think's it's going to stop. The wind is free! (and will be around when the coal and oil is gone) It's a no-brainer to me

TJ aka Teej
07-25-2006, 07:31
Maine wind tower size scale:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5730&c=509

The location for this windfarm is on currently protected land. To build the windmill project the developer needs rules and laws to be changed. Many WBers have been across fragile protected mountaintops in New England and know how precious and rare these habitats are. This windfarm will require the bulldozing of something we should all be in favor of preserving, not destroying. There are currently 7 windmill projects near/in sight of the AT in New England, and the ATC is only opposing this one. Endless Energy wants this land because they feel they can get it cheaply without opposition, not because its the only/best site. I propose putting the towers on the median strip of Rte 95, around Portland's Baxter Boulevard, in Casco Bay, or atop already developed mountains. If the power is really needed (fyi Maine exports electrical power) put it closer to the consumer.

TJ aka Teej
07-25-2006, 07:42
are you saying this is yet another case of "not in my back yard" a la ted kennedy & the wind farm off the coast of mass.?

7 windfarms near the AT in ME/NH/VT. Only one is opposed by ATC. That's clearly not NIMBYism. Massachusetts Republican Gov Mitt Romney opposes the Cape Cod windmills project, as do most wealthy Cape Codders. I read the proposal, and to me it looks like a great location for the power project. Its also a fine example that Endless Energy's claim that only remote mountaintops are acceptable locations for windfarms is a lie.
Another one of WalkinHome's photos is of sea level windmills in Quebec:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5743&c=509
I think the beauty of Maine's coastal Route One corridor would be enhanced by similar development.