PDA

View Full Version : Pack Trail Name

Clark Fork
07-23-2006, 12:36
All this nom de route stuff seemed odd to me when I took up back packing again after a 15 year hiatus. On the trails I hike in Montana, no one adopts a trail name so we are ourselves. Apparently, however, cross the border or set out on the Montana based CDT and one has to be de rigeur with a sobriquet of sorts. I chose mine to reflect my location in Missoula Montana where a "river runs through it", the Clark Fork River.

At long last, I decided on the ULA Catalyst for my solo hike of the JMT. "Hiking alone?" From the skeptical to the mildly incredulous, this questions ranks as the most frequent response when asked about the upcoming trip.

Now as I set out next week for the JMT, It dawned on me that I do have a trail companion. He is slower than I, lagging behind always, but always gaining and keeping me in view. My pack, not only essential to my trip but a worthy companion is deserving of a trail name. So as I head out to the land of Governor Conan and other notables, I inflicted a nom de route on my hapless Catalyst Pack on his first time out. For now he is "Matt", that is as in Matt Drudge. I opted for subtle and rather than call him "Drudge" or "The Drudge" I settled on "Matt" I wanted to avoid the label "Trudge with Drudge".

So "Matt" it is for now at least until some event like tipping me over in river ford engenders a name like "Dunker."

What is the trail name of your pack? Can a guy have a guy pack name or does that make him a girly man, according to Governor Terminator? But then, I suppose, in the land of fruits and nuts, anything goes.

Check out my trail journal and receive a free JMT sporky. I will have a few on the trail so if I meet up with up with, sing out your trail name and be spork worthy..

Clark Fork's Journal and Free Sporky Offer (http://www.trailjournals.com/ClarkFork/)

BonzNRio
07-24-2006, 10:49
My favorite for mine is: 'Damn Thing"...

Turbo Joe
07-24-2006, 12:14
i call mine you prick cause i say that to it every time i pick it up

erslyman
08-04-2006, 10:07
Thanks for this. Enjoyed it.

dragonfly
08-04-2006, 10:15
Mine is called Cujo.

Time To Fly 97
08-04-2006, 10:43
Main pack: Mothership