PDA

View Full Version : Internal Frame Packs

Mike & Gloria Walsh
07-23-2006, 14:00
We've just converted to internal frame after about twenty years with external frames. Ours are Osprey Aether 60 and Ariel 55. What is the best order of packing stuff into them? We are going out next week for a practice hike of ten days. Plan thru hike in 2007, starting in late Feb, probably. We are registered on Trailjournals as Toesocks1&Toesocks2.
Also, has anyone used a bounce box on a thru hike.? What kind of box is best?:banana

gumball
07-23-2006, 14:09
I don't know the best order, but I can share how I pack.

Sleeping bag goes in first, followed by tarp. I have a couple of very small stuffs with my toothbrush, headlamp, and extra contacts that also go in the very bottom, since I don't use those things until night time.

From there, I usually have whatever "extra" clothes I might carry--like a clean shirt or shorts, or maybe socks to change into. Things I won't need in a hurry.

I pack a stuff with my kitchen items--stove, cozy, spoon--and my titanium cup and fuel cannister. Then my dinners. Then my windpants and a long sleeve shirt. Snacks go on top, with a nalgene cannister on top of that and my crocs. I have a couple of side pockets on my vapor ki--one has a frogg togg top, and the other has a small nalgene bottle in it. The upper pockets hold a thin journal, my wallet, and my pack cover.

Works for me!

Blissful
07-23-2006, 20:06
There's a bounce box thread on th 2007 forum that has loads of info. Scroll down and you will see it.

For me, I need to still get a pack. Considering the Gregory Deva (for the lumbar padding) if anyone wants to comment on it - good or bad. The Ospreys didn't have enough lumbar padding for me as I have a pinched nerve.

TJ aka Teej
07-23-2006, 20:18
\What is the best order of packing stuff into them? We are going out next week for a practice hike of ten days. >snip< has anyone used a bounce box on a thru hike.? What kind of box is best?

The ten day hike is the best way for you to decide what goes where. The post office has many sizes of free Priority Mail boxes.

Kerosene
07-25-2006, 23:33
Main Sack (Top to bottom in a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone)
Fleece/Rain Suit
Food/Kitchen Bag
Tent
Ditty Bags (Toiletries, Miscellaneous, First Aid)
Clothes Bag
Sleeping Bag
Sleeping Pad (self-inflating)

Side Pockets
1L Nalgene Cantene (each pocket)
Pack Cover
Foot Care Ditty Bag
Aqua Mira

Outside
Crocs
Wet socks

dloome
07-26-2006, 00:20
Basically, you just load stuff up in the order of frequency of use, this differs with a lot of people and depends on if you're pack has outside pockets, etc.

My pack from the bottom up:
-Sleeping bag
-Clothing stuff sack (minus rain jacket)
-Tarp (or tent rainfly, whatever you use). Most people put this nearer the bottom, but if I have to set up camp in the rain I want to grab it quick so I can pitch while my pack is under it and reduce the amount of time spent with my pack open in the rain
-Rain jacket (If rain looks very likely, rain jacket goes in the very top of the main compartment instead of food bag.
-Food bag
-Top/outside pockets is stuff I use constantly- Aqua Mira, snacks, guidebook/map, glasses case, machete.

I don't know how well pack rain covers work for external frames, but for interal packs I find them practically useless in prolonged rain. Make sure to use a PACK LINER instead of, or in addition to a pack cover. Just put a big heavy duty Hefty garbage bag inside your pack and load our gear inside it. Twist the top and tuck in down inside the pack. Bone dry gear guaranteed.

BOUNCE BOXES- I've seen hikers use a 5 gallon paint bucket as a bounce box since it's super sturdy and can easily be opened up again and again without using tons of tape every time and having to replace a box after awhile. Only downside is that it's easier to steal out of it without leaving evidence. Sheetrock and Proform brand drywall mud ("joint compound") comes in sturdy buckets in smaller sizes as well, if a 5 galloner is too big.

jazilla
07-26-2006, 08:44
If you got to REI.com, the give a little biddy on how to pack. They even give pictures of positioning

frieden
07-27-2006, 13:18
I'm using the Osprey Ariel 75. From what I understand, it is extremely tricky to pack, but once you learn where everything goes for proper balance, it's amazing. I don't have all of my gear yet, so I haven't found my "balance".

Time To Fly 97
07-27-2006, 14:40
Thru-hiked with an external frame with tons of pockets - loved it, but many field repairs. For several years I have been using a Gregory Denali. "The Mothership"
This pack is heavy but a very comfortable and bombproof internal pack. Removable top-pack, top access and main hatch access (with internal separation netting) to main compartment, lower hatch for access to bottom compartment. I put everything into waterproof bags inside the pack.

Very bottom compartment:

Tarp or hammock
Ground cloth (if tarping)
Garbage bag (gallon ziplock) - easy to find if I come across a trash can at a road crossing
Lunch for the day, snacks, Crystal lite mix, coffee, etc.)
Stove and fuel (Peak 1 Extreme and pro/butane can)
z-rest lashed outside of bottom compartment
(Set up for quick access to comfortable lunch including zRest to sit on, stove for coffee if I want...and quick access to tarp if it is raining, or bottom packing this if it is wet.)

Main middle compartment (bottom to top)

Sleeping bag
Clothing bag
Food bag
(Stuff I don't really need unless I'm at camp)

Outside main pocket -mesh separates this small section from the main middle compartment:
Rain gear, extra layer (fleece jacket, etc.)

Top pack "Shuttle"

Everything else in ziplocks:
Water purification
Hat
Toiletries
TP
"Office"
Sunglasses
etc. etc.

Waist belt pouch:
Camera
map
Dugout
Some hard candy

Water bottle pockets and mesh side nets:

Nalgene (I carry one full while hiking and camel up at water crossings)
Pack rain cover
Medical kit
One unused side netting for lekis if I am not using them (hitching, etc.)

Lashed to side compression straps of Pack:
Rolled up dromodary bladder with carabiner if not in use(in use: Carabinered- on outside lower back of pack by daisy chain loops if carrying water in quantity)

Clipped in to main vertical top pack straps:

Pair of camp flip flops (these are usually pretty muddy, so they go outside.)

Go with what is comfortable for you. Figuring out your personal pack configuration is very, very fun. I recommend thinking about what you will need access to and when, and plan for worst case weather scenarios.

Happy hiking!

TTF