PDA

View Full Version : Very sad...

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 17:27
Hi

It's been the same old story my entire life and this forum (and probably the vast majority of the people on it) are no different. I try to make friends and I am somewhat successful for a little while but then inevitably and invariably someone PM's me and has some wisecrack to make. There always has to be a "bad apple" who comes along and spoils the whole thing. Why???.

I only came here to learn and make friends. Why do people have to treat each other this way?. I also mentioned that I had a myriad of different mental and physical disorders and suddenly I am probably getting replies from only 2% of the people on this forum. Well gee, I'm so sorry I was born a freak but I can't help that. If any of you got cancer or something, I sure would'nt judge you or put you down in any way.

I think I have decided to carry my dog and a licensed firearm on the AT if I ever go. That way, I won't have to worry about people or my dog and I won't take crap from anyone. I'm really sick of this nonsense and the PM I recieved earlier just comfirmed my loss of faith in the human species.

At least animals don't judge you, put you down or treat you like less of a person.

- Regards, GG

Amigi'sLastStand
07-23-2006, 17:41
Email me and explain.
Chuck

strebor
07-23-2006, 17:43
I sent you a PM on what I think about personal attacks. So if you get time please read it and PM me any time.

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 17:47
As a footnote to my earlier post (and I hate to admit this) I don't generally like people or their attitudes at all. I was abused as a child, mistreated on the streets of NY and people in general just suck as far as I am concerned. People tend to hate me wherever I go and of course, that only lessons my faith and trust in my fellow human being. By contrast, I have lived and worked on countless farms/zoos/aquariums and I have never had any problems whatsoever with lions, tigers, elephants, dolphins, dogs cats, giraffes, etc - the only problem I have ever had is with humans.
Sorry but you humans (myself included) need a serious attitude adjustment.

- GG

Heater
07-23-2006, 17:47
I think I have decided to carry my dog and a licensed firearm on the AT if I ever go.

Seriously, You are licensed to carr a firearm? :-?

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 18:00
Seriously, You are licensed to carr a firearm? :-?

I can't believe you forgot number 4#. How could you do this to me?:confused:

Amigi'sLastStand
07-23-2006, 18:15
Austexs wasnt trying to be an ahole, just a little outta line perhaps with the nature of this thread, but I do understand his question. Don't take that one too seriously or too pointedly. Not everyone here is trying to be mean. In a forum, sometimes one ahole post or PM can cause ppl to respond in kind to other posts. But as in life, step away and take a deep breath before you type. Peace and dont forget to email me.
Chuck

TOW
07-23-2006, 18:33
As a footnote to my earlier post (and I hate to admit this) I don't generally like people or their attitudes at all. I was abused as a child, mistreated on the streets of NY and people in general just suck as far as I am concerned. People tend to hate me wherever I go and of course, that only lessons my faith and trust in my fellow human being. By contrast, I have lived and worked on countless farms/zoos/aquariums and I have never had any problems whatsoever with lions, tigers, elephants, dolphins, dogs cats, giraffes, etc - the only problem I have ever had is with humans.

- GGyou're either full of horse dung, or just straight out a comedian.........you sound like some people i've been in prison with........

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 18:46
you're either full of horse dung, or just straight out a comedian.........you sound like some people i've been in prison with........

Oh yeah...now it's all coming back to me. Cellblock 124# (second tier), Raiford prison. Man, you were easy pickin's. Should have carried a shank with you and you would'nt have had to worry about people like me:eek:.

- GG

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 19:48
Email me and explain.
Chuck

Hi Chuck. I'm not sure what is going on here but here is a PM I recently sent to another individual on this forum who contacted me to express concern about another person I was being harrassed by just today (I have left out his/her name, etc to protect their privacy and since this is my own reply, I think I have the legal right to post it). This should explain things (I think)...

"...I want to thank you for that sincerely!. 99% of you people are VERY kind and considerate. I have made a LOT of friends here and am truly greatful for that (thank you all!!!). This person who is PM'ing me though is still attacking me and saying things that I never dreamed one human being could say to another. They said that I am just trying to fool everyone and get sympathy for my pathetic little issues and that I am making it all up just to get attention (I am really not!). I am only here to learn and make freinds and because I am hoping to hike the AT someday myself and was also looking for a hiking partner which I think I may have found. I'm so sorry if I have offended anyone. I truly never meant to and I can't help it if I have problems. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!."

- GG

Lone Wolf
07-23-2006, 19:59
This is JUST an internet forum. It ain't real life. Take nothing personal and treat it as entertainment. Life really ain't all that serious. :)

Almost There
07-23-2006, 20:05
This is JUST an internet forum. It ain't real life. Take nothing personal and treat it as entertainment. Life really ain't all that serious. :)

Especially if it's coming from Wolf!:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-23-2006, 20:05
Like L wolf says, treat it as entertainment. There is an ignore feature in the User C/P near the bottom left. Using it will block this person's posts and PM from your view.

Brushy Sage
07-23-2006, 20:08

Very wise observation, L. Wolf; this is a virtual community.

dixicritter
07-23-2006, 20:21
GreyGoose, You've received good advice about ignoring whoever it is pm'ing you. Also you might tone down the negative generalizations about everyone here being so awful to deal with based on what you've been shown in this thread don't ya think? Seems to me like not every human is so bad, but then that is just my opinion. :)

I do hope that you'll find what you're looking for here at WB, and ignore the rest. Happy hiking.

Lone Wolf
07-23-2006, 20:24
I will admit that I can be a virtual butthead at times. But some of you damn posters on here leave me no option.:D Who wants to hike?

dixicritter
07-23-2006, 20:30
I will admit that I can be a virtual butthead at times. But some of you damn posters on here leave me no option.:D Who wants to hike?

Rock does..... when he gets home ;)

ed bell
07-23-2006, 20:52
:D Who wants to hike?Now that, is preaching to the choir.:D Can I get an amen?

Lone Wolf
07-23-2006, 20:53
Rock does..... when he gets home ;)
I'd go in a minute but the boys need him more.:) BUT if I get invited I'll show up.

TOW
07-23-2006, 21:21
Oh yeah...now it's all coming back to me. Cellblock 124# (second tier), Raiford prison. Man, you were easy pickin's. Should have carried a shank with you and you would'nt have had to worry about people like me:eek:.

- GGwho wants to kill something that's already dead????

TOW
07-23-2006, 21:24
I will admit that I can be a virtual butthead at times. But some of you damn posters on here leave me no option.:D Who wants to hike?that goes for me also.................;)

woodsy
07-23-2006, 21:31

- GG

Sounds to me like you are a good candidate for a good hike on the AT. You will likely meet other hikers with an attitude similar to yours. Less people, more animals. And good luck on your hike!

aristobrat
07-23-2006, 23:02
Hey GG ... this quote's helped me a lot in the past ... don't know if it'll resonate any with you, but what the heck, right?

What true freedom is is the freedom to feel the way that I want to feel *no matter what*.

What true bondage is is the belief that somebody else has to change their behavior before I can feel better.

That is utter bondage because you can't make them understand.
You can't make them see your point of view.
You can't change their behavior and habits.
You can't make them understand your ideological point of view.

It's not even possible to do.

And when you give that up, ahhh, then you really are free.

Don't worry about the bad apples or people on the trail that might give you crap. They can't make you feel bad. All it takes is a slightly different way of you looking at them before you find that what they're doing and saying is almost comical instead of upsetting.

One other thing I have noticed is that life has an uncanny knack for delivering to people pretty much what the people expect from it. If your expectation from humans is "it's the same old story all my life", or "inevitably and invariably", and you're having a bad time, maybe you could change it around a little so you expect more like whatever it is you're expecting from animals. They seem to be delivering for you.

There are lots of non judgemental people out there man. I really think that if you work on your expectations from humans that you'll find yourself attracting the type of people that you want (and deserve) to be around. I don't know exactly how it works (if people subconsiously read your energy on that subject or what), but it does work!!!!

BlackCloud
07-24-2006, 08:58
you sound like some people i've been in prison with........

Ok, what'd you do?:eek:

TOW
07-24-2006, 09:05
Ok, what'd you do?:eek:just listened to them, got to know a few of them, some were of the thought that everyone should see things their way-i distanced myself from them.....

and others just wanted to let go a little and then work on a solution-and for those i mostly associated with them.....

BlackCloud
07-24-2006, 12:07
just listened to them, got to know a few of them, some were of the thought that everyone should see things their way-i distanced myself from them.....

and others just wanted to let go a little and then work on a solution-and for those i mostly associated with them.....

What'd you do to land in jail????????

RITBlake
07-24-2006, 12:36
What'd you do to land in jail????????

He took a blue blaze, didn't hike his own hike, and counted pounds not ounces.

TOW
07-24-2006, 12:43
What'd you do to land in jail????????i broke the law................and got caught................enough said................

TOW
07-24-2006, 12:44
He took a blue blaze, didn't hike his own hike, and counted pounds not ounces.did Lone Wolf tell you that???? he promised me he wouldn't say a thing..................

GreyGoose
07-24-2006, 17:08
GreyGoose, You've received good advice about ignoring whoever it is pm'ing you. Also you might tone down the negative generalizations about everyone here being so awful to deal with based on what you've been shown in this thread don't ya think? Seems to me like not every human is so bad, but then that is just my opinion. :)

I do hope that you'll find what you're looking for here at WB, and ignore the rest. Happy hiking.

Hi DixieCritter

Yes, it was good advice and I shall take it. Thank's. As far as the "negative generalizations" are concerned, I only spoke based on my own personal experience in dealing with other people I have encountered during my life but at no time did I ever clump them all together and say that they were all bad (ok, well I guess I did say that "people sucked") but in fact, in one of my recent posts, I even stated that I thought that 99% of the people on this forum were genuinely nice:).

Actually my biggest problem is'nt that I don't like other people but rather that most people don't seem to like me - probably because I do happen to be a somewhat bitter and negative person but my attitude on life was molded by my environment and those I have tried to be friends with, only to be rejected so this is why I have the outlook on life that I do and why I may sometimes come across as negative.

Anyway, like I said in the beginning, I probably don't even have any business being on this forum and I have no idea why I even joined in the first place since I will more than likely never be able to hike the AT due to my special needs and the fact that I really need to be close to a hospital at all times and be able to get my prescriptions filled. I guess by joing this forum, I was just satisfying an itch. Hey, if I can't hike the trail, at least I can read about it and talk to others who have right?.

When I was in my teens and twenties, I was an avid backpacker and I did'nt have ANY of the problems I have today. If I had found this forum back then, I'd be off to the AT with my heels smoking. I just have too many hangups, inhibitions and idiosycrasies and I can almost gaurantee any of you that if anyone here met me on the trail, you might like me at first but soon afterwards you would not want to be around me. Trust me, I'm 43 years old and this has been the story of my life so I know what I'm talking about. Like others have said, this is only an internet forum so we can all laugh and say crap but if you really met me (in real life) you would probably not like me at all. Nobody else does so why should you people be any different?. The thing is, I don't even try to make people not like me...it just happens and I don't seem to have any control over it.

Well, gotta run. I hope noone has minded my honesty here. I hope you all enjoy your hiking and I may pop in here from time to time to say hi.

- Regards, GG

dixicritter
07-24-2006, 17:15
Hi GreyGoose!

Don't worry, it'll all work out. :welcome

GreyGoose
07-24-2006, 17:55
Hi GreyGoose!

Don't worry, it'll all work out. :welcome

You people ARE genuinely nice (I really mean that). I'd would really like to meet some (or all) of you in person someday (if even just for a day hike and some lunch together). One of the things that kind of discourages me is that I live in the Ocala area (FL) and just to get to Mt. Springer would be a MAJOR challenge for me. I don't even know how I would get there since I have no transportation (I don't drive) and a bus, plane (or especially hitchhiking) would be a scary experience for me. If I lived a few miles off the trail, it would be totally different (and I mean TOTALLY). any suggestions?. Would a "trail angel" maybe pick me up and I could just pay them and provide food/gas/lodgings or is there a special shuttle for people like me (handicapped)?.

- Regards, GG

TOW
07-24-2006, 18:45
When I was in my teens and twenties, I was an avid backpacker and I did'nt have ANY of the problems I have today. If I had found this forum back then, I'd be off to the AT with my heels smoking. I just have too many hangups, inhibitions and idiosycrasies and I can almost gaurantee any of you that if anyone here met me on the trail, you might like me at first but soon afterwards you would not want to be around me. Trust me, I'm 43 years old and this has been the story of my life so I know what I'm talking about. Like others have said, this is only an internet forum so we can all laugh and say crap but if you really met me (in real life) you would probably not like me at all. Nobody else does so why should you people be any different?. The thing is, I don't even try to make people not like me...it just happens and I don't seem to have any control over it.

Well, gotta run. I hope noone has minded my honesty here. I hope you all enjoy your hiking and I may pop in here from time to time to say hi.

- Regards, GGLet me tell you something right now, someone likes you and someone loves you.

You are a human being, and that somebody created you in their image.

It is time for you to let go of the wreckage of the past, make amends if you owe them and genuinely forgive others as you would have them forgive you.

Ain't a cottonpickin person on the face of this earth who don't have something that is not quite right about them. Not a one of us are perfect.

I use to feel the exact same way as you did, but then one night I met God on God's terms and my thinking changed from that moment on.

Up until that moment I had no friends, ever since that night my friendship has been growing.

You want others to like you, you need to start by forgiving others no matter the situation and quit expecting others to live life in your image, on the way you percieve things to be. Then you need to develop a personal relationship with your creator, if you have one. You do and you know it.

Everything you need to get along with others is in that book by Bill Wilson, in case you can't open up the Bible.

GreyGoose
07-24-2006, 19:06
The Only Wanderer...

Even though we seemed to have a few minor "issues" between us in the beginning, after reading your posts and getting to know you a little better, I can honestly say that I would probably feel more comfortable hiking with YOU than I would a lot of other people I have met over the years. You are obviously a Christian (as am I) and as a Christian, I know you would not try to do me any harm along the AT and that I could feel very comfortable hiking with you.

As far as some of the things I said earlier (you know what I'm talking about) I thought maybe you were just a heckler at first but I don't feel that way now. Did you read my latest PM? (I just sent it to you).

Anyway, write or email me any time and if there is ever anything I can do for you (Christian to Christian) please don't hesitate to ask.

- Regards, GG

TOW
07-24-2006, 21:12
The Only Wanderer...

Even though we seemed to have a few minor "issues" between us in the beginning, after reading your posts and getting to know you a little better, I can honestly say that I would probably feel more comfortable hiking with YOU than I would a lot of other people I have met over the years. You are obviously a Christian (as am I) and as a Christian, I know you would not try to do me any harm along the AT and that I could feel very comfortable hiking with you.

As far as some of the things I said earlier (you know what I'm talking about) I thought maybe you were just a heckler at first but I don't feel that way now. Did you read my latest PM? (I just sent it to you).

Anyway, write or email me any time and if there is ever anything I can do for you (Christian to Christian) please don't hesitate to ask.

- Regards, GGhang in there dude, your gonna be just fine...........perhaps we will hike together one of these days...........

sarbar
07-24-2006, 22:16
The Only Wanderer...

- Regards, GG
Why would being a Christian make you any better??
:confused:
I honestly have never understood how being a Christian makes you anymore friendly, trustworthy, or loving. I base people on actions, not words.

And as for people not liking you..well..it is kind of like women who chronically are with abusers: they pick the same type of guy everytime. If people are mean to you, well, pick a different type of folk to be near. It isn't easy, but it works.
As for firearms, I won't touch it but for this: guns are a tool, and if you are angry, it is a tool you shouldn't have. Please. I am a vocal supporter of gun rights, and I'd rather not see more reasons for our rights to be taken away.

You have been here a couple days, stick around a bit more. Forums are not real life..just a little bit real life and a lot of BS'ing. Heck, I am a slow hiker who whines a lot when hiking. I take a ton of expensive pills every day to survive...but I still get out and have fun ;) I have met near 150 people from a number of hiking forums, and it was a groovy way to get new friends.

blindeye
07-25-2006, 06:28
hey greygoose whoever is PM you and giving you a hard time tell them to PISS OFF!! some people can only feel good about themselves when they make someone else feel worse than they do. just keep doin' what you're doin' and ignore the morons. go for a hike!

Rustle
07-25-2006, 07:00
GG--

"It is not what happens in life that upsets us, but what we think of it"
--Epictetus

Life hands us all sorts of challenges, some more significant than others. Our challenge is to figure out how to make the best of our own personal crosses we have to bare.

It sounds like you have some significant medical and social challenges. But you also are a sensitive and thoughtful soul--use those strengths to your advantage and MAKE your life what you want it to be with the tools you have. We are always a "work in progress," so don't stop progressing!! If you decide to let other people bring you down, then you have to live with that decision. If you are not happy with that decision, then decide something else.

Like a fractured bone that has healed, we are strongest in our broken places.

Best of luck to you. Be strong.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-25-2006, 08:14
Sarbar, "Christian to Christian" means TOW and GG share a common belief system that is understood between them. I doubt they meant to imply that it makes them better than others.

TOW
07-25-2006, 08:50
Why would being a Christian make you any better??
:confused:
I honestly have never understood how being a Christian makes you anymore friendly, trustworthy, or loving. I base people on actions, not words.

.Amen! and Amen! That is so right on the money, it ain't even funny!

Yes I am a Christian, but it don't make me no better than the rest of the world! Boy, do I screw up sometimes. And do I sin? You betcha!

Actions always speak louder than beliefs, or words......

If I am who I say I am, then my actions need to back up my beliefs.

I haven't been a Christian very long now, and there for awhile I got religiously too big for my own religious britches, and then I fell flat on my face spiritually and fleshly. Best thing that ever happened to me because I realized there is a God and I ain't it!

I am no longer on a mission to change the world, I am on a mission to change myself. But you know what the twist is in this statement? It is not about ME!

I will share in a heartbeat what I believe to be the truth, but what you do with it is up to you. If I trust you, I trust you. Or if I don't, I don't. In my opinion trust has nothing to do with who you are, where you been, what color of skin you have, how much money you keep in your pocket, what your belief is, and the list goes on and on and on. Trust is something that is earned.

But here is a bit of twist to the trust issue. I will trust you usually right from the gate until you show me otherwise. Does this mean that I trust you with my belongings, with my family, with my life? No, it does not. Again that is something that comes in time, if it ever gets that far. Truthfully I only have a handful and a half of family and friends that I will go that far with and one of them lives right here in the same town as I.

You may ask, "What did this person do to earn your trust?" I have no answer for you. But I can tell you one thing for sure, they did not bend over to kiss my butt to get my trust. They do not see things my way all the time. They are just who they are and at one time I almost vehemently did not trust them.

Anyway, life is what it is. Christian, or not. I have come to know a great bunch of "Christians" who say they are of this belief, but their actions flatly deny it.......

Enough said....

TOW
07-25-2006, 08:52
Sarbar, "Christian to Christian" means TOW and GG share a common belief system that is understood between them. I doubt they meant to imply that it makes them better than others.Amen! and Amen!

BlackCloud
07-25-2006, 09:37
Hi DixieCritter

....I have no idea why I even joined in the first place since I will more than likely never be able to hike the AT....
- Regards, GG

This site is not devoted to the wackos who willfully spend 5 months in the woods...

All are welcome....