PDA

View Full Version : Canoeist stabs bear to death in Ontario

Buckles
07-23-2006, 19:54
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/07/22/bear.html

GreyGoose
07-23-2006, 20:09
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/07/22/bear.html

Thank's for the excellent read. As much as I am an avid animal/nature lover, this guy clearly had the right to defend himself and his dog against this bear (since the bear was obviously the aggressor in this particular situation and the gentleman had no choice). I don't want to come across as some kind of zealot but if anyone or anything ever tried to attack my dog, I would spare no expense in "correcting" the situation by whatever means I happened to have at my disposal at that time. My animals are my children and they are to be respected and protected just like any of God's precious creatures.

- GG

ed bell
07-23-2006, 21:21
Next thing you know, someone will blame Tom and his dog for getting attacked.;) While the death of the bear was unfortunate, it was most certainly necessary. Thankfully, Mr. Tilley is still with us. :sun

woodsy
07-23-2006, 21:44
You are right Ed, the guy and his dog should not have been out canoeing and portaging through Bear country

hammock engineer
07-23-2006, 21:46
Good story. Good thing someone had a phone.

Buckles
07-23-2006, 22:27
He did what he had to do, and with a blade of less than 6 inches.

TIDE-HSV
07-23-2006, 23:54
have been a butcher in an earlier life, to know where to cut from the back of a black bear. Very impressive...

Trail Dog
07-24-2006, 01:49
i once battled a swarm of stinging mosquitos off with a bottle of Off....

Hmm i really need to hike somewhere more dangerous so i can have cool stories like that.

rickb
07-24-2006, 06:35
On the AT Southbounders get to see packs dogs going after bear for fun. When the exhausted bear is finally treed, it is shot by the sportsmen.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-24-2006, 07:29
Sad situation and one that highlights why it is so important to practice good food prep and storage techniques. This bear must have been habituated to human and canine contact to have attacked a human + dog that likely were nearly equal to the bear's roughly 200 lb weight.

Newb
07-24-2006, 10:10
Well, he should at least be required to eat the bear now. All of it.

general
07-24-2006, 11:17
Well, he should at least be required to eat the bear now. All of it.

butcher it on the spot, find a cooler and some ice, pack in canoe, and eat like a king for the rest of the trip.

white rabbit
07-24-2006, 11:39
Makes me think about the itty bitty pocket knife I carry. Maybe it would be worth carrying a few extra ounces for a larger blade.

RockyTrail
07-24-2006, 12:09
have been a butcher in an earlier life, to know where to cut from the back of a black bear. Very impressive...

From the back, I would guess reach around the neck and draw it across...the jaws were busy with the dog.

And by the way, the Am. Staffordshire is also known as a Pit Bull Terrier, good thing it wasn't a chihuahua or it coulda been a bear taco:D

Mother's Finest
07-24-2006, 15:31
small bear, large bear, that guy is no joke.
jumped on its back and lit it up.

did what he had to do to save his companion

peace
mf

Newb
07-24-2006, 15:31
From the back, I would guess reach around the neck and draw it across...the jaws were busy with the dog.

I'm no expert at black bear physiology, but I am having trouble with the idea that a 10cm blade could damage the bear sufficiently before the bear did a Freddy Kreuger on you. Is it possible that the ursoid jugular is that close to the surface? Think he went for the eyes?

I do hope that he collected brain tissue so a determination can be made as to whether the bear was rabid or not.