PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with diabetes

Kerby
07-23-2006, 21:03
I have just recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This has required a drastic change in my food choices, which greatly limmits my choices of trail foods...nothing "processes, or instant" for example.

At a minimum, it means more weight, longer prep time, and more fule, ect.

Do any of you out there have a simmilar problem, and can you give me any advice on what to pack and such?:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-23-2006, 21:57
You might want to take a look at this article. Page 2 has three days of menus for a diabetic in the backcountry.
http://www.backpacker.com/technique/article/0,1026,2023,00.html

sarbar
07-23-2006, 22:29
I understand only too well. I am on a very low sodium diet..you might be surprised at what you can actually eat! A suggestion: learn what you can eat at home, then take that, and develop a menu and ideas from it.
It doesn't mean though longer prep times, longer cook times or more fuel! You can do it, but it will just take more time at home :) A dehydrator is your friend I might add.

If you develop meals you like at home, just dry them, and take them with you! Any dried meal can be covered with boiling water, stirred well, and let to sit in a cozy for 10-15 minutes and it comes back to life. All you need is 4-6 minutes of fuel to boil water.

You can precook whole wheat pasta, and dry. It becomes basically instant pasta. All it needs is boiling water poured over, and a 10 minute sitting in a cozy.

Whole wheat couscous is basically instant, but is not an "instant product".
You can dry many types of meat and fish for protien, You can get freeze dried tofu. You can get freeze dried veggies and fruit galore from www.justtomatoes.com - nothing is added to their food.

But most of all, don't get depressed! Soon you will see that you really didn't have to change much!

While my second site is geared for my health issues, take a look-it may give you ideas to go off of, and technique ideas also:
http://www.freewebs.com/healthytrailfood/

betic4lyf
07-24-2006, 01:27
i have type one diabetes, so since i have to use insulin anyways, i dont really have any special diet. on thing that is bad but not obvious is fruit juices. they are loaded with sugars and can make you blood sugar spike. i use oj when my blood sugar gets low and i need a fast acting carb.