PDA

View Full Version : NOBO Thru-Hike

strebor
07-24-2006, 01:15
As i have mentioned before I am starting my thru-hike on or about 1 MAR 2006.

I have been reading and my question is what additonal gear might I need for the winter. Other than maybe the obvious.

Warm Clothes
Good Bag
Good Tent

What about snow shoes or Ice Cleats. Or maybe something I am not thinking about. Which is probabaly alot of stuff.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2006, 05:39
You will not need snow shoes or cleats. Do bring a good stove.

strebor
07-24-2006, 19:48
What about pack weight?

I have added it up and for winter I am at about 32lbs base weight without food and water?

hammock engineer
07-24-2006, 19:50
What about pack weight?

I have added it up and for winter I am at about 32lbs base weight without food and water?

Post your gear list with weights. That will get you a lot of suggestions. You might want to look into different packs, sleeping bags, and shelters.

strebor
07-24-2006, 19:54
ItemDetailsWeight PoundsOuncesEureka Backcountry Tent3.5 Season44Kelty Tornado Internal Frame Pack4900 cuin6Back Pack Rain Cover28" x 15" x 9"5Compressor Bags13" x 30"9Campmor 70D Self InflateRegular212MSR Whisperlite Stove********14MSR 33 oz Fuel Bottle********5.1Snow Peak Titanium Cookset1 pot/ 1 cup5.5Snow Peak Spoon & Fork*******1.4Katadyn Purifier Tablets30 tabs/ 1 per ltr.2Ktadyn Minifilter2000 Gal. Life8Camelback Bladder100oz2Light Load Towels3 per pack1.5Petzl Tikka Plus HeadlampWeight is with batteries2.8Personal Ten Essentials Kit*******11Climb High 6 Point Crampons*******13Military Modular Sleep Systemminus 30 degrees4

Thats 22lbs and I am figuring 10lbs for additonal clothing, rain gear, and fuel and some misc. luxury items.

Prosseroo
07-25-2006, 17:03
I'm planning on starting the first week of March also. My plan is to carry a 15 degree bag, tarp tent or something similar and just enough warm clothes to get by with. Maybe 2 pair of long underwear, light fleece type top and bottom and rain jacket and pants that can be worn as a windbreaker if necessary.
This is subject to some revision, though. I line in Atlanta and plan on doing some shakedown hikes this winter to make sure I'm going to be OK with my gear.

strebor
07-25-2006, 18:34
I'm planning on starting the first week of March also.

Starting on Saturday March 3, 2003 @ well in the morning.

SawnieRobertson
07-25-2006, 19:32
As i have mentioned before I am starting my thru-hike on or about 1 MAR 2006.

I have been reading and my question is what additonal gear might I need for the winter. Other than maybe the obvious.

Warm Clothes
Good Bag
Good Tent

What about snow shoes or Ice Cleats. Or maybe something I am not thinking about. Which is probabaly alot of stuff.

You don't need crampons. That is, if you do, you'll probably be sitting in some motel along the trail, waiting for the weather to break. YakTrax are not heavy, and they can certainly help with traction when traction is needed.
I also have some cleated things that attach to my boots. Hey, there's nothing like that kind of help when the trail becomes (d)icey.--Kinnickinic