PDA

View Full Version : Stray dog - S. MD/Harper's Ferry area

rswanson
07-24-2006, 15:46
Guys,

My wife and I were hiking the Maryland section from US 70 south to Harper's Ferry a few weeks ago when we were joined by a stray dog. He was a large chocolate lab, in good health, neutered but without any tags or collar. He looked well fed, no doubt due to the popularity of this section of the trail, full of day hikers and picnickers. We ran into him at Gathland State Park. He intermittantly followed us and another pair of hikers all the way to Harper's Ferry. We lost sight of him just before the descent to the C&O canal towpath. In skimming over the log at the Campton Gap shelter, I saw an entry mentioning a stray following another group of hikers near this stretch of the trail, some months back. Has anyone else seen this exuberant dog?

RITBlake
07-24-2006, 16:08
In almost the same section we were followed by a lost beagle for 6 or 7 miles. When we got to a road crossing we called his owner and he came and picked him up. Doesn't sound like the same dog though

rswanson
07-24-2006, 17:10
No, he was a big chocolate-colored labrador. I'm curious because he certainly knew exactly where we were going and looked like he had done this many times before. As we exited Gathland Park, he was on the trail before we were, looking back over his shoulder waiting for us to catch up.

Funny caveat to the story...sometime before the Ed Garvey shelter there's an embossed metal sign just to the side of the trail (near that trailside restaurant everyone mentions, amongst other Civil War plaques) recounting the story of "Snarly Yow", a local legend about a phantom dog that roams the surrounding countryside. As he appeared out of nowhere to follow us, Snarly Yow immediately became his impromtu trail name.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-24-2006, 22:32
I hate to say it, but you hear these stories on every trail in America every year. So many bad dog owners, so little time.....

Stoneface
07-29-2006, 09:50
Ran into him same area end of June. He had collar and tags then. Owner lived in Boonsboro and picked him up. Nice dog to bad he's got crappy owners.

Bob

Ridge
07-30-2006, 14:38
These people who hike with unleashed dogs deserve to lose the animal. Maybe someone who really cares for their dog will find it and be a responsible owner. I wish more dogs would get lost from their owners, maybe the word "leash" will come to mind when they take out their next dog.

dixicritter
07-30-2006, 14:45
Ridge, give it up man. This song and dance is getting really old.

Heater
07-30-2006, 17:46
Ridge, give it up man. This song and dance is getting really old.

He's on a mission from dog...