PDA

View Full Version : Altimeter Watch

Robusto
07-24-2006, 20:55
I am looking for a new Altimeter watch. I bought a cheap Nike and it died after a year. I need something rugged. I saw one in Sky magazine on a Delta flight but can't recall what brand it was. Does anyone have experience with newer altimeter watches and if so give me some pros and cons.

Robusto

ed bell
07-24-2006, 21:09
I am looking for a new Altimeter watch. I bought a cheap Nike and it died after a year. I need something rugged. Robusto My Suunto Observer has been rock steady for 3 battery cycles (about 4 years) It has more features than most people want, but it really is bombproof. I work everyday, outdoors, diggin ditches with mine on and it keeps on keepin on. The altimeter log features are handy as hell and the compass is nice as long as you keep it callibrated.

woodsy
07-24-2006, 21:18
Casio has been a reliable Alti-thermo watch for me. Although it is an older (6-7 yrs?) model it is still working excellent on it's 3rd battery.

Sly
07-24-2006, 21:20
I have a Suunto also, but the X-lander. Great watch or should I say wrist top computer. Takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin' or something like that.

Watch
Altimeter
Barometer
Compass

It also has a thermometer, alarm, stop watch, etc.

ed bell
07-24-2006, 21:40
I have a Suunto also, but the X-lander. Great watch or should I say wrist top computer. Takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin' or something like that.

Watch
Altimeter
Barometer
Compass

It also has a thermometer, alarm, stop watch, etc.Sounds like about the same features as mine. The watch might be a little on the overkill side, but considering the fact that I don't own any bling bling and my rims on my vehicle are stock, I decided to pimp my watch.:D

woodsy
07-24-2006, 21:51
Most of these Alti-watches have a backlight feature. The problem with using the light is that it shortens the battery life considerably. IMO. I seldom, if ever use that feature anymore even if the battery is only $5 installed.

Sly
07-24-2006, 21:56
Sounds like about the same features as mine. The watch might be a little on the overkill side, but considering the fact that I don't own any bling bling and my rims on my vehicle are stock, I decided to pimp my watch.:D

I hear yeah, it's probably the most extravagant thing I own!

ed bell
07-24-2006, 21:59
Does the battery life change if one has their watch on ALT or BAR mode frequently? Seems like I heard these functions take a LOT more battery power than the time mode does. Sorta the same as the backlight function. I know my Observer will discontinue the compass mode after 30 or so seconds of inactivity. That may be due to extra battery drain.

Footslogger
07-24-2006, 22:07
I've had the Suunto Vector for about 6 years. It takes a bit of "getting used to" but once you understand the principle of operation it is an excellent device.

Reason for making the above statement is that I used to work at REI (where I got mine via ProDeal) and many people who bought them brought them back for a refund. At one time we had over a dozen of them in customer service tagged as "defective". Management got frustrated and approached Suunto. All the so-called "defective" Vectors were sent back and found to be in perfect working order. Since I owned one I took a personal interest in the issue. Turned out that the previous owners were not able to understand how to set the reference elevation (because the user intructions were so poor) and they became frustrated at what they thought was inaccurate performance.

Nuff said. The Vector is a great device.

'Slogger

Sly
07-24-2006, 22:11
I know my Observer will discontinue the compass mode after 30 or so seconds of inactivity. That may be due to extra battery drain.

mine does that too, but it could be a battery saving device. Regardless, I think a fresh battery would last a thru-hike.

fiddlehead
07-24-2006, 22:15
I have a Sunnto Vector also and never had any problems with it.
One more feature that it has besides what Sly's has is a thermometer.
YOu must take off the watch for it to be of any accurcy but it's good for making bets with your hiking buddies on how cold everyone thinks it is.
I use the digital compass feature a lot. (not only for hiking but for travelling places i've never been before) I've heard that the compass is the feature that eats more batteries than everything else. I do go thru a set of batteries about every 2 years. I bought it in 2001 and it is still working great. $200+ but worth it to me.
The altimeter alarm is a feature that i used a lot on the PCT as most all places in the guidebook (turns, places of interest, water sources, etc) have the altitude listed. So, if you set the alarm for about 200-300' before you get there, you can stop worrying about your next turn until the alarm goes off.

ed bell
07-24-2006, 22:15
At one time we had over a dozen of them in customer service tagged as "defective". Management got frustrated and approached Suunto. All the so-called "defective" Vectors were sent back and found to be in perfect working order.
'Slogger Sometimes it takes a while for people to understand that an altimeter watch is not a "set it and forget it" device. Once you understand how they work, they can be quite useful and fun.

Rain Man
07-24-2006, 22:54
... At one time we had over a dozen of them in customer service tagged as "defective". Management got frustrated and approached Suunto. All the so-called "defective" Vectors were sent back and found to be in perfect working order. Since I owned one I took a personal interest in the issue. Turned out that the previous owners were not able to understand how to set the reference elevation (because the user intructions were so poor) and they became frustrated at what they thought was inaccurate performance....

If the instructions are defective, then the "product" is defective, since it requires the instructioins to operate it. It's a package deal. Some British scientists conducted research last year on technology product returns and found a high percentage were due to poor design (meaning hard to figure out how to operate) and plain poor instructions. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

I have a Suunto Vector from REI and use it occasionally.

Rain:sunMan

greentick
07-24-2006, 23:05
Sounds like about the same features as mine. The watch might be a little on the overkill side, but considering the fact that I don't own any bling bling and my rims on my vehicle are stock, I decided to pimp my watch.:D

Yeah, when people ask "what kind of watch is that" I use my best Crocodile Dundee and say "Watch, that's not a watch. It's a wall clock with wriststraps..."

I have a suunto advizor (same as the vector but with a heart rate monitor, I think) that was issued to me in Afghanistan in early 2003. I wear it daily. Still rockin and rollin on second set of batteries. You have months to change a battery after the low batt warning comes on. It doesn't just blank out. I second the fun to use factor.

ed bell
07-24-2006, 23:13
You have months to change a battery after the low batt warning comes on. It doesn't just blank out. I second the fun to use factor. I've had the same experience with my watch battery wise. One of the things I love the most about my altimeter is being able to KNOW that I'm on the last 100ft of that 1000ft pull. I don't know why, but it seems to help me set sail. As a bonus, the watch has also re-energized my intrest in map skills. The maps and watch are quite a team.:sun

woodsy
07-25-2006, 07:00
Since we are talking about favorite functions, mine is the 12 hr altimeter memory graph. when set it takes a reading every 15 minutes , 50 recorded
elevations which you can play back in a flowing graph with the time of recording included. The barometer function can be a useful weather predicting tool also once you understand how it all works.

Footslogger
07-25-2006, 08:18
[quote=fiddlehead] I've heard that the compass is the feature that eats more batteries than everything else. I do go thru a set of batteries about every 2 years.
===================================
Yours has more than one battery ?? They must have changed the design since I got mine then. The one I have runs on a single 3 Volt Lithium disc battery. In fact I just changed the one in mine on Sunday after coming back from a hike in the mountains around Laramie. Got the low batt indicator and figured it was time. That battery had been in there for at least 2 years.

'Slogger

orangebug
07-25-2006, 08:55
I've had the Casio, but didn't like the small digits - hard to read for these eyes.

I have the Vector, but also gave up on trying to reset the reference altitude.

I now have a Timex GPS watch, that I use primarily to let me know how far I've gone. I wish it also read out the altitude.

D'Artagnan
07-25-2006, 09:17
I've had a Suunto Vector for about 6 months now and I really have enjoyed it. The altimeter was probably the one feature that sold me on this watch to begin with but there is so much more. Most of the functions are fairly intuitive but recalibrating it can be a little hairy with the instructions that accompany the watch, uhhh wrist computer.

The only problem I've had so far is that the crystal is easily scratched. I'm rough on watches and if this one had a more durable face, I'd say that would make it the best watch I've ever owned. For me, that's the one fault I've found.

Emsadida
07-25-2006, 10:01
I've had the Casio, but didn't like the small digits - hard to read for these eyes.

I have the Vector, but also gave up on trying to reset the reference altitude.

I now have a Timex GPS watch, that I use primarily to let me know how far I've gone. I wish it also read out the altitude.

How well does the GPS watch work? I was always curious as to how well the GPS works when on the trail. It also looks like Timex now has one which does altitued as well.

orangebug
07-25-2006, 10:15
The Timex watch appears to do very well, as long as you get the watch set up with satellites before you start moving under the trees. After it is hooked in, it seems to be able to get readings frequently enough for accurate distances on short sections of the AT, the Silver Comet trail and the like. I'm not surprised if Timex has gone with the altimeter, as the one I have was a terrific deal on Woot.Com last fall.

Alligator
07-25-2006, 11:55
I've had the Vector for I think 3-4 years. I currently do have a problem with it. The watch keeps resetting the date and time to a particular date time. Offhand I can't remember what it is, but it's not 1/1. It started doing this after a battery replacement. I am going to get a new battery, then I may need to send it for repair.

The watch face does scratch easy.

The battery usually lasts 6-9 months. One way to save battery power is to change the refresh option. It has several settings. If you are not skiing, you might want to slow the refresh down to like 10 minutes I think it is.

I dislike the temp gauge because you have to take off the watch to get an accurate reading.

Based on my experience, if I have to replace it, I will go with the Bruunton model with the little wind speed meter. For me the temp gauge and altimeter are the best features. I like to know where I'm at and how cold it was so that I know what gear to bring next time.

1Pint
07-25-2006, 13:20

I almost sprayed my lunch all over my computer! Yeah, it's bling where & how you want it.

fiddlehead
07-25-2006, 20:33
[quote=fiddlehead] I've heard that the compass is the feature that eats more batteries than everything else. I do go thru a set of batteries about every 2 years.
===================================
Yours has more than one battery ?? They must have changed the design since I got mine then. The one I have runs on a single 3 Volt Lithium disc battery. In fact I just changed the one in mine on Sunday after coming back from a hike in the mountains around Laramie. Got the low batt indicator and figured it was time. That battery had been in there for at least 2 years.

'Slogger

Sorry, i think you're right and it might have only one battery. (i must proof-read over my replies better)
I take it to a jeweler when the battery goes. so i don't really see the process. I know i need a new gasket next time as he told me mine is shot. I just ordered a kit from REI to replace both but am still in Asia so it is one of the things i must do when i return to the states in a few more months.

vaporjourney
08-31-2006, 07:39
so has anyone used the Timex Adventure Tech Altimeter Watch? http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Adventure-Tech-Altimeter-Watch/dp/B000BK8FS8/sr=8-1/qid=1157024281/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2514585-9818365?ie=UTF8

It's pretty cheap and I've been thinking about ordering it. I'm not positive, but on these huge sports watches, can you replace the rubber wristband with a velcro one? Either way, it seems loaded with features, doesn't look half bad, just would probably drain battery with the constantly on backlight.