PDA

View Full Version : Knobstone Trail, Indiana

strebor
07-25-2006, 00:54
Getting ready to due a hike of this trail on 11 August 2006. I looked a topo's of the area and have gotten some good info. Seems like a good trail to get some hiking in on. Also seems like a fairly rugid trail. So hopefully will help test out my gear.

Anyone hiked this trail before and if so. Any comments?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-25-2006, 07:50
I hiked portions of what is now the Knobstone Trail decades ago (as a student at UI-Bloomington). It follows a series of ridge lines and overlooks the valleys - which back then were mostly wooded or farmland (not sure what you will find today). It is surprisingly challenging given the relative flatness of the area. Hope you will write a review for 'Long Trails' forum when you return.

bulldog49
07-25-2006, 11:25
At this time of year, you may want to cache some water at trailheads. Be sure to take bug repellent.

onesocktwin
07-25-2006, 12:06
Its a good training trail for the AT. It is surprisingly rugged for Indiana...not a lot of switchbacks and "steps" and "waterbars" not well maintained. Abundant poison ivy, coyotes, copperheads and rattlers. Even with the amount of rain we have had this summer, can't stress the water issue enough. Good map available at Clark State Forrest Office near Scottsburg also good info in the "Hiking Indiana" Falcon book.

That said.......it is a good hike! Enjoy!