PDA

View Full Version : Its All About Hiking

undergroundnathan
07-25-2006, 11:31
Some of what if said in my posts may not seem like hiking topics,like mental health isues.but some that hike do have problems of some kind and they have to deal with it while hiking.I understand some of you think we should talk about hiking and hiking needs and we do especialy to help out the new hikers.I felt like I had a sort of family on the trail,If I cant talk to you all who is there.But I can talk about hiking,or at least I have lot of storys to tell. About two or three days north of erwin is the barn shelter dont remeber the name of it,The weather was bad ,realy cold rainy and foggy. It was about ten oclock in the mourning when I arived,by the way this was two years ago in may a week before trail days.I walked up to the barn,it was pretty neat,I heard some pepole in the loft.I went in and there was five pepole,and they were setting up there tents in the loft of the barn because of the wind.They didnt want to leave because of the weather,By noon thirty pepole showed up,all plaaning to stay, it was getting interesting with all the pepole.By three oclock there was sixty,at least,there was more coming up setting up tents outside,the rain stoped ,so I thought I get out of the crowded barn and set up my tent.All the pepole it was wild,and I liked it. Ill write some more latter . sincerly underground.

wilconow
07-25-2006, 12:17
Overmountain Shelter

Nightwalker
07-25-2006, 12:21
Nice post Nathan. I can't imagine 60 folks in a barn. That had to be really something.

undergroundnathan
07-25-2006, 13:36
The next mourning the fog was clear,it was beutiful that mourning,Awhole lot of got going early.I had no idea what was ahead of us,I wasent alone that mourning,hikers every where.through the woods and there it was big wonderful bald but that was only the start.It was neat watching the others climb ahead of me.I got to the top then there was more balds ahead,Quess I was in scottland,I watched as the other hikers crested the crowns of the hills,it was far out.Near the end there was cows or stears,they were kind of awsome looking,I went on.I had a real high that day just from being up on the balds. LIVE ON ,BE HIGH ON LIFE,GO FORWARD>.see ya all latter,sincerly underground.

Ender
07-25-2006, 13:50
I loved that section... I kept thinking about Braveheart while hiking through there. Yeargghhh!!!!! :)

gonzo
07-25-2006, 14:04
That whole section leading up to and away from Roan Mountain was awe inspiring for me. In '99 I exerienced pristine weather all the way through that section so the sunrise from the bottom bunks of Overmountain was just as awesome as I had seen described by others.

wilconow
07-25-2006, 14:45
I did Indian Grave Gap to 19e over July 4th weekend. Beautiful and challenging.

kyhipo
07-25-2006, 15:18
yes i just love that section did it southbound in march one year it was a little slippery with ice still on the trail but never forget that hike.ky

bigcranky
07-25-2006, 19:59
We did that section this past March, SOBO from US19-E to Erwin. It was bitterly cold and the wind never, never, never stopped. But it was just stunningly beautiful. The two of us were the only people in the Barn the first night out, and I don't think we saw more than 2 or 3 other hikers the whole stretch.

Great section -- I would do it again any time of year.